AMD Radeon HD 7970: Promising Performance, Paper-Launched

Status
Not open for further replies.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
From a gaming standpoint I fail to see where this card finds a home. For 1920x1080 pretty much any card will work, meanwhile at Eyefinity resolutions it's obvious that a single gpu still isn't viable. Perhaps this will be something that people would consider over 2x 6950, but that isn't exactly an ideal setup either. While much of the article was over my head from a technical standpoint, I hope the 7 series addresses microstuttering in crossfire. If so than perhaps 2x 7950 (Assuming a 449$) becomes a viable alternative to 3x 6950 2GB. I was really hoping we'd see the 7970 in at 449, with the 7950 in at 349. Right now I'm failing to see the value in this card.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]a4mula[/nom]From a gaming standpoint I fail to see where this card finds a home. For 1920x1080 pretty much any card will work, meanwhile at Eyefinity resolutions it's obvious that a single gpu still isn't viable. Perhaps this will be something that people would consider over 2x 6950, but that isn't exactly an ideal setup either. While much of the article was over my head from a technical standpoint, I hope the 7 series addresses microstuttering in crossfire. If so than perhaps 2x 7950 (Assuming a 449$) becomes a viable alternative to 3x 6950 2GB. I was really hoping we'd see the 7970 in at 449, with the 7950 in at 349. Right now I'm failing to see the value in this card.[/citation]

I'll be trolling Newegg for the next couple weeks on the off-chance they pop up before the 9th. A couple in CrossFire could be pretty phenomenal, but it remains to be seen if they maintain the 6900-series scalability.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]thepieguy[/nom]If Santa is real, there will be one of these under my Christmas tree in a few more days.[/citation]

Hate to break it to you, but there won't be, unless you celebrate Christmas in mid-January.

Start treating your SO super-nice and ask for one for Valentine's Day!

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]Start treating your SO super-nice and ask for one for Valentine's Day![/citation]

If I ever find someone that will buy me a $500 graphics card for Valentine's Day I'll be proposing on the spot.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]I'll be trolling Newegg for the next couple weeks on the off-chance they pop up before the 9th. A couple in CrossFire could be pretty phenomenal, but it remains to be seen if they maintain the 6900-series scalability.[/citation]

While I have little doubt that 2x of these cards would be very impressive, so would the $1100+ pricetag. I guess coming from the 580 SLI standpoint it might not seem like much, but if you've been considering the $750 ($900 for mobo+psu difference) 3x 6950 route like myself it seems like a major jump.

Of course this is all just initial reaction towards the earliest of benchmarks. Given awhile to really dig around the new 7xxx, while allowing it to mature from a driver standpoint might make the 3x6950 seem foolhardy.

Zombeeslayer143

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
WOW!!! I love the conslusion; all of it, which basically is interpretted as "I'm biased towards Nvidia," and trys [desperately] to say don't buy this card! Has the nerve to mention Kepler as an alternative; right, Kepler, as in 1 year away. The GTX580 just got "Radeon-ed" in it's rear. I'm not biased towards either manufacturer, just love to see and give credit to a team of people with passion, vision, and hardwork come together and put their company back on the map, as is shown here today with AMD's launch of the 7970. It's AMD's version of "Tebow Time!!"

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]ZombeeSlayer143[/nom]WOW!!! I love the conslusion; all of it, which basically is interpretted as "I'm biased towards Nvidia," and trys [desperately] to say don't buy this card! Has the nerve to mention Kepler as an alternative; right, Kepler, as in 1 year away. The GTX580 just got "Radeon-ed" in it's rear. I'm not biased towards either manufacturer, just love to see and give credit to a team of people with passion, vision, and hardwork come together and put their company back on the map, as is shown here today with AMD's launch of the 7970. It's AMD's version of "Tebow Time!!"[/citation]

Not at all, actually. It offers great gaming performance, and for everything else...we have to wait, because it's not fully baked yet. They say fools rush in. This thing launched today. We were given less than a week with it. It won't be available to even *buy* for another three weeks. Are you telling me you're ready to crown a paper winner, and you're not biased? Please...

Zombeeslayer143

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]Hate to break it to you, but there won't be, unless you celebrate Christmas in mid-January.Start treating your SO super-nice and ask for one for Valentine's Day![/citation]

Dude!!! I'm will be glued to NewEgg via my PDA and PC...I'm sooooo ooohhhh getting two of these!! If they sell for $549, I still think they provide the best value based on current high-end single GPU solutions (e.g., GTX 580, 6970, etc). Nvidia may want to consider a 20%-30% price reduction on the 580's once the 7970's are out.

Zombeeslayer143

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
[citation][nom]ZombeeSlayer143[/nom]Dude!!! I'm will be glued to NewEgg via my PDA and PC...I'm sooooo ooohhhh getting two of these!! If they sell for $549, I still think they provide the best value based on current high-end single GPU solutions (e.g., GTX 580, 6970, etc). Nvidia may want to consider a 20%-30% price reduction on the 580's once the 7970's are out.[/citation]

You have a valid argument there. However, it's not like we need to wait for Windows 8 to see what this GPU is made of, as was the case with Bulldozer. What you see is what we will get give or take 5%?????? Heck, I don't even care for the overclocking potential. If the performance was capped at what is shown here today, I'm certain everyone will be happy. But, of course thats not the case, which brings me back to your point; it's too early, don't get excited, it's just on paper right? LOL...sure buddy...I'm so glad NewEgg was sold out of the GTX580 Classified's the past few weeks; would have regretted that purchase.

jdwii

Splendid
Well Amd you did it, Wow it's been a while since i was able to say that, I'm so impressed with these results everything you guys used to fail on you fixed at your GPU division. I'm not going to lie i did not think Amd would pay it off but they did. All i can say is Nice and well done. You guys beat Nvidia with a 28nnm gpu. I just wonder what's going on at nvidia and why their behind on the 28nm die, And their is rumors that Nvidia wont get their new card out until 2Q of 2012!!

To bad these cards wont be out this year they would make a lot of money. Oh well parents usually buy them self stuff after christmas i guess.

G

well when i read this review it did not really leave me with a "positive" outlook on these cards, and a moment ago i just checked another hardware review and they did not come close to this glominess, so i wont blame the amd fans for feeling that this review is biased becouse it sure as hell seems like it^^

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Damn, I didn't see this coming from AMD. This card is a beast...it takes on multi-gpu cards...price is a little high, but compared to the performance it looks like an amazing value.

Onikage

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
WOW !!! INDEED !!
i usually put nick names to my favourite videocards out there, and if i named 5870 ROCKET! 6970 Conqueror!
Then 7970 definitely deserves the nickname EXECUTIONER !

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Just like I thought: AMD gains a single GPU performance crown until 6xx Nvidia cards arrived. Personally, I think I'll be getting 7870 for myself when it comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.