AMD Radeon HD 7990 and 7950 Details Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd- [...] 70-review/http://www.techspot.com/review/481 [...] age11.html... how comes, that they haz the reviews, but TOM's talk just about leaks?[/citation]
those are the 7970 reviews, not the 7950 or 7990 >_

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I'm sure everyone will agree (if they have seen the 7970 reviews) that these new AMD cards are indeed amazing.

Although as expected, AMD will probably charge up the butt for such high-end cards, much like Nvidia has done in the past.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Can't say I disagree with the pricing policy - AMD has to make money, afterall. But I'm not going to be able to pay so much for these cards, specially considering I live in Brasil and I'd have to pay 50% minimum on top of that (and that would be through shady means alraedy).

:(

G

(saying 'OMG' repetitively and running around the lounge room in circles)

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
[citation][nom]Zeh[/nom]Can't say I disagree with the pricing policy - AMD has to make money, afterall. But I'm not going to be able to pay so much for these cards, specially considering I live in Brasil and I'd have to pay 50% minimum on top of that (and that would be through shady means alraedy).[/citation]
It really is good pricing that Radeon has done with the 7970 cause we must take into account that the Nvidia 580s that have a 3gb frame buffer are even more money than a vanilla 3gb 7970.

dfusco

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd- [...] 70-review/http://www.techspot.com/review/481 [...] age11.html... how comes, that they haz the reviews, but TOM's talk just about leaks?[/citation]

Do yu hasz stoopid?

The competition does use blowers, it's the other manufacturers that have their own patented and customized cooling systems. Nvidia and AMD/ATI basically work only on the Small fan blower systems for their Main designs.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I cannot wait until dual-gpu cards become more mainstream, and games utilize the power.[/citation]

I hope they never do. The only reason that a dual GPU card exists is just bragging rights. If you're actually looking for the price range of a dual GPU card and your computer is able to do SLI or crossfire.

And I shudder at the thought of the game are quite eerie dual GPU. I really hope the days of a crysis like game where we can't play it at max graphics for years is never to come around again.

Note that on PC gaming was… More popular than console gaming… At least more supported… It was actually viable for you to buy a new GPU every six months because the games requiring more and more power. I believe the very end of this was crysis, I can't think of any game that required more than that after it.

See the problem with crisis was that the engine was very an optimized and was honestly abysmal, you can see this best crysis 2 where he will push all crysis level graphics on the consoles, yet you are playing the original crysis on console level hardware, I really doubt you could play it much beyond low.

We have forgot the remake of cyisis for the consoles, where the textures aside it pushed very impressive graphics considering the consoles hardware.

I personally do not believe that any game should ever be made beyond what's available today in a single card configuration. I believe multi-card should be used to increase the FPS and extra crap like an insane resolution adding insane anti-aliasing I don't believe the game should have been made with the thought that someone is going to put two or three graphics cards in the system.

Basically what I'm saying is I want the engines the games run on to be refined, I don't want them to go brute force like they did in the past. If there is one thing I can think the consoles for, if they ended the era of brute forcing for games.

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I'm sure everyone will agree (if they have seen the 7970 reviews) that these new AMD cards are indeed amazing.Although as expected, AMD will probably charge up the butt for such high-end cards, much like Nvidia has done in the past.[/citation]

there really amazing, the die size on the 7970 is bigger than its equivalent 6XXX card, and it's a die shrink. Not only do the math right now because it's almost 6 AM, but I expected more performance from these cards, sure it might just be drivers and apparently these cards going to go a lot faster as time goes on I expected a bit more considering how much is in these cards.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Noting a mild typo: it suggests 62 compute units, when, assuming the 7990 has two full GPUs with 2048 SPs, 256 TMUs and 64 ROPs, it'd have 64 compute units enabled. (as each Tahiti core has 32)

Also, I'm even more crossing my fingers for the 7850 & 7870... The big question is, will they ALSO use GCN, or will we get saddled with VLIW4, basically making them little other than a slightly cheaper 6950/70? These benchmarks, even with preliminary drivers, are showing us just what a phenomenal leap forward GCN is providing: in terms of simple "raw" compute power, the 7970 isn't a whole huge leap above the 6970, as it only has 33% more compute units, and a ~5% bump in clock rate. In spite of the modest (~40% total) increase in raw power, and being hampered by PRELIMINARY drivers, we're seeing typically a 50-60% performance gain over the prior generation, indicating that GCN is seriously more efficient.

That, and the GPGPU benchmarks are boasting even higher improvements, suggesting that GCN fixed the double-precision failings of VLIW4, where it took 4 SPs to get enough parts for a DP FMA unit, when it wouldn't have been that hard/costly to make it take only 2 SPs. If a 7850/7870 can get this benefit, it'll partially help offset the rumored MSRPs, which ARE higher than for the prior generation.
The irony here is that these two were ALSO beaten to the punch by Tom's.... The guru3D article may have been the same day, but I recall it came up mid-day, whereas Mr. Woligrowski got the Tom's article up at midnight sharp. And the TechSpot article was 5 days late. And it appears Toms' went to painful extents to be far more complete than either... A commendable action given how scarce the info they had to go on other than having a sample card with glitchy drivers in their hand.

dummos

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
i have 600 bucks cash sitting in my bottom draw that i have been umming and ahhhing between getting a 570 or a 6770 for months but i thought, ill wait JUST GET THE 7970's IN THE SHOPS ALREADY
im bustin here

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]Noting a mild typo: it suggests 62 compute units, when, assuming the 7990 has two full GPUs with 2048 SPs, 256 TMUs and 64 ROPs, it'd have 64 compute units enabled. (as each Tahiti core has 32)Also, I'm even more crossing my fingers for the 7850 & 7870... The big question is, will they ALSO use GCN, or will we get saddled with VLIW4, basically making them little other than a slightly cheaper 6950/70? These benchmarks, even with preliminary drivers, are showing us just what a phenomenal leap forward GCN is providing: in terms of simple "raw" compute power, the 7970 isn't a whole huge leap above the 6970, as it only has 33% more compute units, and a ~5% bump in clock rate. In spite of the modest (~40% total) increase in raw power, and being hampered by PRELIMINARY drivers, we're seeing typically a 50-60% performance gain over the prior generation, indicating that GCN is seriously more efficient.That, and the GPGPU benchmarks are boasting even higher improvements, suggesting that GCN fixed the double-precision failings of VLIW4, where it took 4 SPs to get enough parts for a DP FMA unit, when it wouldn't have been that hard/costly to make it take only 2 SPs. If a 7850/7870 can get this benefit, it'll partially help offset the rumored MSRPs, which ARE higher than for the prior generation.The irony here is that these two were ALSO beaten to the punch by Tom's.... The guru3D article may have been the same day, but I recall it came up mid-day, whereas Mr. Woligrowski got the Tom's article up at midnight sharp. And the TechSpot article was 5 days late. And it appears Toms' went to painful extents to be far more complete than either... A commendable action given how scarce the info they had to go on other than having a sample card with glitchy drivers in their hand.[/citation]
I don't see how a pre released 7970 with " Glitched drivers " as you put it is a bad thing considering it was still marketably ahead of GTX 580. Even so all this means is great things are to come when Radeon is already on top with pre release cards and drivers just imagine how much better it will get with Mature drivers and time.

G

7990 = Beast

no, wait.

7990 = Entire herd of Beasts

alidan: "I personally do not believe that any game should ever be made beyond what's available today in a single card configuration"

AAA titles take 18 months to crank out, shouldn't the "ULTRA" settings be designed for cards that will be out 1.5 years later? Software pushes hardware, hardware pushes software. That's how we move forward. If you don't like it just use Medium or Low textures in your games. simple.

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
[citation][nom]gp179[/nom]7990 = Beastno, wait.7990 = Entire herd of Beastsalidan: "I personally do not believe that any game should ever be made beyond what's available today in a single card configuration"AAA titles take 18 months to crank out, shouldn't the "ULTRA" settings be designed for cards that will be out 1.5 years later? Software pushes hardware, hardware pushes software. That's how we move forward. If you don't like it just use Medium or Low textures in your games. simple.[/citation]
I agree 1up^ and plus dual cards make games just look all around better than a single GPU can muster.

Status
Not open for further replies.