AMD Radeon HD 7990 Spotted at GDC 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
It looks like the card might only require 2 8-pin connectors, which would be impressive if the rumored specs are accurate. Still not indicative of load power consumption, which could still go over 300W. Actually I would be surprised if it didn't.

I also really like that AMD is trying something different with the design of their cooler. It's definitely going to limit the types of enclosures it can reliably occupy, but it should at least address one of the problems AMD had with the 6990, noise in relation to thermals.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]It looks like the card might only require 2 8-pin connectors, which would be impressive if the rumored specs are accurate. Still not indicative of load power consumption, which could still go over 300W. Actually I would be surprised if it didn't. I also really like that AMD is trying something different with the design of their cooler. It's definitely going to limit the types of enclosures it can reliably occupy, but it should at least address one of the problems AMD had with the 6990, noise in relation to thermals.[/citation]
hmm, was the "read comments on forum" button removed? I any case, 375W not 300.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]mafisometal[/nom]that graphic card will be REALLY LOUD with 3 fans like that.[/citation]

I can see you've never owned a card with a good 3 fan setup. They aren't necessarily very loud, the fans can spin slowly to achieve the same cooling as a setup with two fans spinning fast. It's all down to how well it's designed. This is much better than AMD's previous vacuum cleaner design.

viliu24

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
i am the happy owner of 2x7970 but whats the point ,micro stuttering is still there , and now i removed one card in the hope soon will get beter drivers .Even in farcry 3 is bad with a single card.Other 7990 are on the market so we need drivers no other cards that are the same, shame amd...

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
thats the card that powered the Battlefield 4 demonstration. it's using AMD bird technology to render those birds. AMD is stepping up their game.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
AMD coming late to the party with an equivalent card and plans on pricing it the same as the Titan and GTX 690... Considering how the 7790 just got wrecked prior to release by the GTX 650 TI Boost, I am thinking that AMD doesn't learn from its mistakes.

The company is already losing money so lets go ahead and keep the same generation of cards in production even though the competition is developing superior products... Its not like AMD would lose market share due to these bad decisions...

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]viliu24[/nom]i am the happy owner of 2x7970 but whats the point ,micro stuttering is still there , and now i removed one card in the hope soon will get beter drivers .Even in farcry 3 is bad with a single card.Other 7990 are on the market so we need drivers no other cards that are the same, shame amd...[/citation]
Anandtech recently published a related acticle:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6857/amd-stuttering-issues-driver-roadmap-fraps

AMD is in the process of fixing their stuttering issues, and apparently they've already come a long way in addressing the problem. It's a really informative read, I would recommend taking a look.

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
I know some people complain about micro-stuttering on AMD configs, but I must be lucky or something, but I run 2x 7970's (soon to be 3) all water cooled and Overclocked massively and I find no notice able stuttering problems (especially compared to my old QUAD-GPU system of 2x5970s)

bee144

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
AMD needs to get their drivers under control. NVIDIA is getting it right. I saw 5% improvement in BF3 in their latest patch and that game is 2 years old.

Friis

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I have had 2 AMD graphic cards not holding together within 5 years( or 2 years for the other card), in some random error where when i do something heavy graphic, the computer restarts. and the error gets worse over several months till its opening minecraft makes it restart. temporary fix for my problem, use a old graphic card for a month and go back to the "good" AMD card, but the error returns.
now i switched to a Nvidia GTX 660 to see if it can survive longer.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Where are all the people who cried over the titan price of $1000? Shouldn't a ton of you be whining about AMD's ridiculous price now too?...ROFL.

No matter, it's just dumb to say it in either company's case, but just saying.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]keith12[/nom]Couldn't AMD have used a pretty girl to hold it instead!!??? C'mon make an effort at least[/citation]

she's not a weight lifter, thing is probably 20#'s more than dr evils baby

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]spartanmk2[/nom]AMD 7990: I will devour all your essence! *omnomnomnom*[/citation]
Way to go, Dehaka! hahaha

They used the same heatsink as used in the Firepro S10000. It kinda reminds me of gigabyte Windforce triple coolers. I hope this is going to beat the 690 so competition will come again from both sides.

Another think I would point out is (even though it's out of topic), they should reduce the 7790 and the 7850 prices and maybe 7870 too. The 650 Ti Boost is an excellent card, AMD shouldn't take easy on it. They could also introduce 7850 GHz edition with boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.