AMD Radeon HD 8730M kmode_exception_not_handled BSOD

Pizamotas

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
When I update my Radeon 8730M driver I start getting the kmode exception not handled BSOD.

Searching online I found out that you're suppose to update the drivers when that happens.
So far I've tried using slim drivers, device manager and even manually downloading the drivers from AMD website and nothing helps.
The BSOD doe not appear if no AMD drivers are present on the computer but of course that means that my graphics card is not working.

I even tried taking it to a computer repair shop, they tried the same things as I did and just told me that there's nothing they can do.

Any ideas how to fix this? Or what might be causing it?

This explains what the bug check is: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557408(v=vs.85).aspx

What I noticed in the things you've mentioned trying so far (and this is just a thought), is you don't mention downloading updates from the laptop manufacturer. I assume it's a laptop because of the GPU chip you've named. Sometimes these drivers have to be performed from the manufacturer rather than directly from nVidia or AMD.

Pizamotas

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016

If you mean the laptop manufacturer I've tried that as well.
I know full sized graphics cards have a few different manufactures but I'm not sure about the laptop ones.

Manufacturers like Dell have their own bespoke driver packages even for the GPUs (eg. nVidia or even Intel) in their laptops, it's why I brought it up because you hadn't mentioned it prior to my original post.

Another thought: you get the error when you updated the driver. What happens if you rollback the driver? (I'm thinking if it was stable before it could just be the driver isn't good. It does happen sometimes.)

Pizamotas

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016

Well the first BSOD happened at random not after a driver update.
I tried picking a few older versions at random with the same results every time.