AMD Radeon Pro Duo Dual Fiji GPU Now Available, Built For VR

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they aren't putting it out for independent testing then it sounds to me like it sucks. If you have a great product you want everyone to know. If you have a crappy product you want no one to know until you have sold as many as possible.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Good Grief, this is not a gaming card. It is a software and development card. Meaning for use with various CAD, rendering, etc. engines. Not Gaming...

SoundFX09

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
If they aren't putting it out for independent testing then it sounds to me like it sucks. If you have a great product you want everyone to know. If you have a crappy product you want no one to know until you have sold as many as possible.

Or Maybe AMD's Learned from their Mistakes with the Nano, and isn't going to send review samples to specific reviewers.

Still, I'd rather wait until we have benchmark results showing up from reviewers before making any conclusions on the Pro Duo.

Also, I agree that $1,500 is too much of an asking price for AMD. The Titan X from Nvidia is $1,000, and if It can't even beat a 980ti, AMD will only be digging further down. I expect price drops over the next couple of months, similar to what happened with the 295X2.

Until then, I suggest waiting out for now.

CarbonK

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
I don't really see a point to this. Maybe if you've got a SFF ITX build with that one PCI-E 16x slot, or an MATX build with other PCIE devices already in use.

But other than that, what's stopping you from getting a fairly cheap Crossfire-capable MATX motherboard and two R9 Nanos? Two Nanos are $1000 for both, leaving $500 for watercooling if you want it.

I guess you could build a four way Crossfire PC with only two 16x slots, but that's just madness. Other than size limitations, I see no reason to get one, as cool as it may look in my system.

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
VR currently doesn't support dual GPU even though it's a no brainer (one card per eye is ideal). I don't think this changes anything currently because games have to support first, but I could be wrong.

P1nky

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
VR currently doesn't support dual GPU even though it's a no brainer (one card per eye is ideal). I don't think this changes anything currently because games have to support first, but I could be wrong.

That's why this card is aimed at VR develdopers!!! To get their code ready for VR!

The purpose is for developers, not gamers. However, you could use it for gaming if you want to. It is still the single-most powerful gaming graphics card, whether or not it's marketed toward gamers. VR may not support CF, but other games do, and this will be the single-most card that gets the most FPS out of any other card out there. Note that I say "card" and not "GPU" because a graphics processing unit is different from a graphics card.

Play something like Fallout 4 with this, booya! Great FPS and a single card indeed. Better than the 295x2.

Or Maybe AMD's Learned from their Mistakes with the Nano, and isn't going to send review samples to specific reviewers.

Still, I'd rather wait until we have benchmark results showing up from reviewers before making any conclusions on the Pro Duo.

Also, I agree that $1,500 is too much of an asking price for AMD. The Titan X from Nvidia is $1,000, and if It can't even beat a 980ti, AMD will only be digging further down. I expect price drops over the next couple of months, similar to what happened with the 295X2.

Until then, I suggest waiting out for now.

With the Nano they excluded several popular sites but Tom's was one of the ones they considered "fair" so they got one. Tom's gave them a very positive review too. So I think this means it is aimed at a specific niche the VR developers and not gamers in general. So they don't want to eat $1400 and give away samples for a segment the card isn’t designed for. This isn't a gaming card per se but it CAN be used for gaming there is a difference. I don't see this being a big game changer for AMD to help them get some market share back. But it may help lay a foundation for them as a VR main stay going forward which will give them an advantage if they survive.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Perhaps no review samples because AMD is broke. Even though they just had a promising quarterly report, they're still struggling with profitability.

010TheMaster010

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
It's not being sent out because it would be reviewed as a gaming card. This isn't the target audience and reviews would paint it in a worse light than it should be. It's for creators who game and gamers who create, but not just gamers. Though if a gamer buys it, you have two of the strongest GPUs out on one PCB. $1500 is hardly overpriced though, not like it's $3000 *COUGH* *COUGH*
Really though, that's only $200 over a couple fury X for a dual gpu card with an improved cooler and tiny footprint, compared to something like two individual fury Xs, or 980tis, or a 690, or a 295x2.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Id say its around the 1250 range this thing outperforms a 980Ti by 60% and a titan X by 30%
That's weird because I have seen countless summaries and reviews showing 980ti beating the Titan X more often than not. Weird that when you add a new AMD card into the fold it would suddenly reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.