[SOLVED] AMD Radeon Pro Support Fail - WX9100 - AMD drivers cause BSOD

Jul 15, 2019
After building a new computer, I was getting BSOD THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER, faulting atikmdag.sys (AMD driver).

I was using their top of the line AMD Radeon Pro WX9100, which is supposed to come with premium Pro support.

After 30 hours of troubleshooting, jumping through hoops with AMD support, trying all sorts of windows adjustments, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, replacing my graphics card (same model), and replacing my PSU (which was brand new), I finally gave up. The tipping point came when AMD support referenced a different error than the one I was receiving for the second time, asked me the same question for a third time, and instructed me to start testing my RAM sticks one by one. I should have listened to my gut earlier.. there was nothing to suggest it was anything other than the graphics card.

Fed up, I installed an NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 (half the price) and have had no issues since. Now I can put in another one and power 8 displays, rather than 6, which was the whole reason I went with the WX9100. AMD support was dismal, and the amount of time I spent troubleshooting while they tried to blame other hardware components was mind boggling. It was a terrible experience and for that I will not be purchasing another AMD product again. I know me ranting online does nothing, but for future users trying to troubleshoot this issue... my experience was that it was 100% related to AMD's driver, and that they were completely uninterested or incapable of fixing it.

Solution
Fed up, I installed an NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 (half the price) and have had no issues since. Now I can put in another one and power 8 displays, rather than 6, which was the whole reason I went with the WX9100. AMD support was dismal, and the amount of time I spent troubleshooting while they tried to blame other hardware components was mind boggling. It was a terrible experience and for that I will not be purchasing another AMD product again. I know me ranting online does nothing, but for future users trying to troubleshoot this issue... my experience was that it was 100% related to AMD's driver, and that they were completely uninterested or incapable of fixing it.

My story is basically the same, I have a 1660 TI now (spent a...

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016

My story is basically the same, I have a 1660 TI now (spent a bit more) but had an RX 580 and two RX 590s which were not up to snuff; which drove me crazy in fact. If you want the details you can read the notes to my youtube video of a typical RX 590 crash.

The 1660 TI works great on my build (so far).
The older R9-380 worked great on my old build and on this one. In fact, it runs better on the 590 drivers than the 590 does.
User reviews of more modern R9-390 show a lot of unhappiness.
I'm just wondering whether Radeon is really punting the whole quality control thing.

If I were a company enjoying great success with my Ryzens you would think the last thing I'd want is to alienate buyers with a wave of undependable units that essentially fail right out of the box.

But all you have to do is look at companies to know that they often seem oblivious to these concerns. Buying a Chrysler is an act of sentiment over reason. Nissan was once one of a proud trio of Japanese companies that were world famous for quality. No longer.

And it seems like the Radeon brand is headed for similar suicide. That's too bad as I had an automatic loyalty to Radeon and wanted to stick with them as the natural complement to my habitual use of AMD cpus. And I wonder who is going to keep NVIDIA on its toes once Radeon collapses from selling this kind of junk.

I actually convinced myself that I was in capable of doing the install and drivers of those accursed cards. But no, the 1660 TI went in first time and worked; and the driver installation was a little more tricky.

I won't say "I'll never buy from them again" there is a small universe of possibilities and maybe they'll get their act together. But I do think that some negative internet chatter is needed to help them wake up and realize they are going down the toilet with their long established customers. That's never a good thing.

Still, my habit after doing my "downstairs build" has always been to duplicate it for my "upstairs build" as there are many advantages to running two identical builds in terms of resources in the house when you need to trouble shoot. But I certainly WON'T be looking to Radeon for the next few years. You would think they'd worry about that, but they don't. They should recall these d*mn RX 500s. Or at least offer cash back to anyone who bought one. I'd count myself lucky to get 50c on the dollar. And I'm just venting about the one's I've used. I see that you are having similar issues with a much higher tier.

Greg N

Solution
Jul 15, 2019
Yep. Wish I had got a new GPU sooner.. it's all just a bit mind boggling. If they can't provide working drivers they might as well be selling bricks. I'm sure a lot of people have no issues but I guess for the ones that do they just want to be left alone. Fortunately there was a 30 day return policy and I managed to return it on day 30. I'm sure they will be quite alright without me, but to anyone else who has this issue and can still return it, I would recommend trying a different brand before subjecting yourself to their battery of tests and "solutions".

Parihsouth

Honorable
Apr 2, 2015
After building a new computer, I was getting BSOD THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER, faulting atikmdag.sys (AMD driver).

I was using their top of the line AMD Radeon Pro WX9100, which is supposed to come with premium Pro support.

After 30 hours of troubleshooting, jumping through hoops with AMD support, trying all sorts of windows adjustments, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, replacing my graphics card (same model), and replacing my PSU (which was brand new), I finally gave up. The tipping point came when AMD support referenced a different error than the one I was receiving for the second time, asked me the same question for a third time, and instructed me to start testing my RAM sticks one by one. I should have listened to my gut earlier.. there was nothing to suggest it was anything other than the graphics card.

I feel like I wrote all this verbiage in this thread. I cut my teeth on AMD and stuck with it until a company I worked with was using NVIDIA. it's been at least 35 years since I used AMD. recently I had the chance to move from a NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080 and also a NVIDIA Quadro P2000 over to a High dollar AMD RADEON PRO WX9100.

My system is

MOTHERBOARD
Gigabyte Technology Co.
Z390 AORUS Xtreme Waterforce

MONITORS
(3) 27" BenQ's

STORAGE
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

PROCESSOR
Intel Core i9-9900ks CPU @ 5.00GHz +
16 processors

MEMORY
32gb DDR4 Dual Channel
DRAM freq 1300MHz

SOFTWARE
AutoCAD2018
Mastercam2021
Solidworks2020

OS
Win10 Enterprise
Version 1909
Build 18363.959

--------------------------------------------

the CNC Programmer here at our facility was using the Radeon Pro WX9100 with Mastercam2021 and 1-2 times a day when working the system would just lock up. black screen and all. we tried changing drivers to no avail. He finally purchased a high end NVIDIA GPU and never looked back. for my self, sometimes working between Solidworks and AutoCAD, each software company has a certified hardware and gpu page that has a list of approved alignments and the drivers that worked. it's not always the latest drivers that will work. so in talking with the rep there at autodesk, i mentioned the blackscreen stuff my co worker was experrienedcing and he was familiiar with it. he remembered it being a bad driver between Jan-march 2020. so i thought to myself, hey i can use the 9100 and just use a new driver. nope. the AMD RADEON PRO WX9100 is junk. the control panel that comes with it is junk. the support I experienced was absolutely retarded. they had me also testing things other than the graphics card. not to mention a language barrier that was frustrating. the card ran about $1500 and could very well be used as a brick. hah ah....when using my software, when i would perform a SAVE, it would crash. UNACCEPTABLE.
i too share the same concern about the future with NVIDIA having no real competition. I can say long ago when using NVIDIA QUADRO K620, it outperformed the AMD 9100. Just from the standpoint of not crashhing my machine.