AMD Radeon R9 300 Series MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

**Thread Updated**

**NOTE: This thread is still under development, things are going to be edited and changed - just keep this in mind, I'm working on it. **

**Individual pages are currently under work**

AMD Radeon R9 3XX Megathread
1213px-AMD_Radeon_graphics_logo_2014.svg.png

Advanced Micro Devices R9 3XX series was one of he most anticipated card launches in the history of AMD. The R9 and R7 series are both consumed full of modified rebrands of the past generation GPU's, which was quite a letdown for many enthusiasts looking for a 'cheaper' HBM alternative, though it doesn't come cheap. Featured in the new series for the higher end R9 Fury series is the first ever released 3D-stacked HBM memory pre-installed on a graphics card, however it does currently come with low memory clock speeds. No cards as per the rumours have been manufactured at 20nm, as to what was to be expected, HBM was a big enough jump for AMD. As for the last R9 2XX series also, GDDR5 is the minimum standard for video ram in this categorized series. Dual GPU'd cards currently will not be added to this thread as of yet, because these speculations are often the most inaccurate. If you would like to know a rough idea of what the possible R9 Fury X2 (possible name) figures could be, just look at the R9 Fury X's specifications and double it. This thread will be open to rumors unlike the previous R9 2XX thread and also related discussion, but as always please keep within the forum rules. The below lists the given R9 3XX/Fury series graphics cards along with their official specifications;

*N/A's are listed in a few places as a figure to be put there would not be accurate, simply because there is no good source to suggest what number should be there.

*All models listed are with STANDARD video ram specification. Manufacturers will produce and supply higher video ram models then the baseline.*

R9 380
Chip Codename: Antigua Pro
Video Ram: 2 or 4GB GDDR5
Memory Bus: 256-bit
Bandwidth: 182.4GB/s
TDP: 190W
ROPs: 32
Cores: 1792
Texture Units: 112
RRP: N/A

R9 390
Chip Codename: Grenada Pro
Video Ram: 8GB GDDR5
Memory Bus: 512-bit
Bandwidth: 384GB/s
TDP: 275W
ROPs: 64
Cores: 2560
Texture Units: 160

R9 390X
Chip Codename: Grenada XT
Video Ram: 8GB GDDR5
Memory Bus: 512-bit
Bandwidth: 384GB/s
Cores: 2816
Texture Units: 176

R9 Nano
Chip Codename: Fiji XT
Video Ram: 4GB HBM (High-Bandwidth Memory)
Memory Bus: 4096-bit
Bandwidth: 512GB/s
TDP: 175W
Cores: 4096
Texture Units: 256
RRP: $649

R9 Fury
Chip Codename: Fiji Pro
Cores: 3584
Texture Units: 224
RRP: $549

R9 Fury X
Chip Codename: Fiji XT
Cores: 4096
Texture Units: 256
RRP: $649

AMD R9 Fury X2
Chip Codename: Fiji XT (x2)
Video Ram: 8GB HBM (High-Bandwidth Memory) (4GB x 2 - scaled in Crossfire to 4GB)
Memory Bus: 8192-bit (4096 x2)
Bandwidth: 1024GB/s (512 x2)
TDP: TBA expect around ~470W
ROPs: 128 (64 x2)
Cores: 8192 (4096 x2)
Texture Units: 512 (256 x2)
RRP: TBA

AMD's website: http://www.amd.com/en-us

'R9' Refers to the category, '3' (first number) refers to the series, '8-9' (second number) refers to the model, '0' (third number) in this series could mean single GPU, inclusion of the 'X' (fourth letter in sequence) on the end of some means it's an extreme edition graphics card. With all this implied, the higher the number, the better the card is in the series.

AMD Radeon Driver updates and Release thread found here.

Thread Notifications:

-Updated 9/9/2015 with the latest inclusion of the R9 Nano and R9 Fury X2

-Individual page backbones are currently under development

-A driver updates and release thread is now available

An R7 series thread is currently under development for this series also. Fanboy arguments or Trolling are NOT tolerated in this thread, if so the moderation team will be sorting that out, Thank you.

cmi86

Distinguished
I just hope AMD puts more of an emphasis on lowering the TDP of it's high end offerings for the R9-3XX. It would be nice to be able to run the next gen AMD flagship without having to factor in a couple hundred dollar 1000w+ PSU upgrade as well. This pattern seems to take the value out of lower cost AMD GPU's.

It would seem the opposite, AMD would not use a liquid cooler as a reference design by Asetek for a low TDP card. I would assume this card is over the 300W TDP margin. I would like to see this too, but I would also like to see a major difference in performance also, as these days companies don't compete anymore when it comes to graphics cards, rather as such only edge each other.

cmi86

Distinguished

It doesn't really bug me as much seeing as modern flagship GPU's are already massively overkill for anything minus the super rare percentage of people running 4K or high res multi monitor set-ups. Were at the point where faster is great but in AMD's case efficiency is needed.

Inefficient game coding is partly to blame

cmi86

Distinguished

Coding is nice but a 300w TDP card is a 300w TDP card regardless. I'd like to see that down in the low 200's.

Rukeith

Honorable
Oct 14, 2014
Pondering whether or not to get an r9 290 now or wait for something like a 380x... Surely the 380x wont be that much more powerful than the 290, who knows.

The 380X may cost 1/3 more of the price for a little performance difference, and the R9 290 is at it's best price range. Power consumption is another aspect however. I would wait, but I would opt that the R9 290 would be the better option for the price.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
why not wait for a R9 395X2 then? as if you are gonig to pour that kind of money into the GPU why not go for the theorical "best" preformance wise as like we have seen the R9 295X2 is not the best price/preformance by any strench of staticatics that still make sense to use.

Rukeith

Honorable
Oct 14, 2014
Not sure if Yumri was talking to me, but "that kind of money into a GPU"? I was talking about a 300 dollar(ish) gpu, not a 1 grand one lol... I'm not fortunate enough to spend that type of money on a single component.

who knows. there were a lot of speculation out there. at some point there are rumors about 290X/290 will be rebranded as 380X/380. maybe AMD wants to share something new at CES. i'm sure FreeSync is not the only thing they have for CES.

if it based on GDDR5 that can happen. but if they were using HBM the way i heard about it 4GB will be the max with current implementation.....unless they intend to hold the R 300 series into next year or next

Rumor, not fact. You also cannot claim 8GB as fact either, as it may/may not be. As stated multiple times this thread is made up of rumors and will of course not be correct as of yet, as simply nothing is officially confirmed!

Latest posts