Oct 4, 2021
Last year I was experiencing a black screen literally every 5 seconds no matter what game I was playing, somehow after upgrading my RAM to 12GB the issue was gone.

Now, it's back almost in full force. Games like Just Cause 2, The Sims 4, Genshin Impact, Fortnite etc that ran perfectly only weeks prior are now unplayable. We don't play very demanding games, either, but now the issue has extended to a black screen even OUTSIDE of gaming! Sometimes I'll get a black flash watching YouTube.

I have tried to use DDU to remove then re-install drivers, old versions, newer versions, everything. No progress.

Is this an issue with hardware? Is the GPU simply reaching the end of it's life? I tried a light dusting and the issue was gone for a few days, is this as simple as cleaning it out? My father (he built this PC, not exactly sure how old the parts are) suggests thermal paste, before wasting money on that I wanted to ask here. I haven't exactly found any threads online that describe this issue specifically, the sound and everything is working fine, it's just the actual display that checks out seemingly at random.

Help?!

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 3.01 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS crosshair IV extreme
Ram: 12 GB
SSD/HDD: WD HDD 500 GB
GPU: AMD radeon R9 380
PSU: Corsair TX750W
Chassis: intel pentium 4
Monitor: compaq w17q

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Include the age of the PSU in your build apart from it's make and model and it's wattage. How did you get to 12G's of ram? Is this an X58 chipsetted platform?

Oct 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Include the age of the PSU in your build apart from it's make and model and it's wattage. How did you get to 12G's of ram? Is this an X58 chipsetted platform?

thank you I've just edited the post with all the info I could find, I'm not sure about the age, I'll ask and come back with updates but it can't be over a year

i've installed 4GB and 8GB sticks on separate PCI slots

Oct 4, 2021
Small update:

My dad raised the virtual memory and cleaned out the card (dusted fan coolers and replaced thermal paste) and it seems to be working in order thus far. But I'll continue to test throughout the day.