AMD Radeon R9 Fury X 4GB Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagstar

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Glad to see some neck and neck competition. I breathed a sigh of relief as there's a 980 Ti in the mail with my name on it.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
How did hardocp manage to have such drastically different results. What is going on here?

http://hardocp.com/article/2015/06/24/amd_radeon_r9_fury_x_video_card_review/11#.VYqy-0ay58E

Different settings, some different titles. Mostly GameWorks titles which are notoriously known to not work well on AMD cards

By the way, AA ativation is turning off CF in The Witcher 3. I told you this before guys.

Also, I want to see benches at 4k without AA... real world situation, at 4k AA is useless and only result in drop in performances especially on a 58 inch TV.

Not overly impressed, but some competition is better than none at all. Nobody wins when competition is lacking or absent (and the latter almost always results in the long run with enough of the former).

With that said, two observations no matter what results from different sites are obtained:

1) Contrary to popular belief, 4GB VRAM is apparently enough for the rest of the year and likely into next year. [breathes sigh of relief with effectively 3.5GB SLI cards]

2) AMD needs to step it up. Nobody wins in the long term when competition is lacking. And for many, this is where it's at:

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/R9_Fury_X/images/perfwatt_2560.gif
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/R9_Fury_X/images/perfdollar_2560.gif

+1. It's the same with running 8xAA at 1440p when at best 4xAA is the sweet spot for performance/quality (or using in-game 2xMSAA and turn FXAA on in Nvidia control panel like I do for squeezing out a few more frames for an effective 4xAA).

kenderkenobi

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
How did hardocp manage to have such drastically different results. What is going on here?

http://hardocp.com/article/2015/06/24/amd_radeon_r9_fury_x_video_card_review/11#.VYqy-0ay58E

Different settings, some different titles. Mostly GameWorks titles which are notoriously known to not work well on AMD cards

Uhh, appears to me Toms and [H]ard did the same titles, Tom' covered one or two more.

Try again?

MasterMace

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
I am satisfied in saying neither company is ready for 2160p this generation, as both cards miss 30fps in half the games with their most expensive card.

Regarding this card, I'm eager to see how hot the air cooled one gets and if it gets throttled. The card sucks down power like crazy though. The 980ti under stress maxes at 296w, averages 255w. This one plows all the way to 450w max, 350w average! This does not bode well for AMD. What more, they still don't have a new architecture to address it.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Everything seems the same with TechPowerUp and Guru3D's review except power consumption. The other 2 review sites have Fury X using 40W more power than 980 Ti.

Overall, a meh product. Stacked memory, 8.9 billion transistor and water cooled to match 980 Ti while using more power even though the memory is suppose to save like 30W.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
My question is. Where is all the overclocking abilities at. Since that is what AMD fed us at E3. Or do we have to wait for an update to CCC for it to work better with Fury? Why have a liquid cooler if it can't be taken advantage of?

rgd1101

Don't

I dislike how they comparison, sometime they use different settings on the same chart which is kind of misleading.
Hothardware.com have FuryX winning in the 1440p in most/all title. [strike]Although they didn't post the drivers version.[/strike] found it 15.5 beta vs 15.4 beta on Toms

toddybody

Distinguished
Despite being on "team green" for a while now, I had incredible hopes for AMD's r9 Fury X.

HBM memory, AMD's last gen support of bridge-less CXF, all the work they've put into reducing frame latency (def evident now), etc...all this had me hoping for a card that soundly walloped the 980ti at a shared price point.

No getting around the fact that it's a beast GPU...but Im sorry to say the performance has me depressed :( IMO, AMD needed a 15-20% frame gain over the 980ti across the board to emerge victorious...now, it feels like the often "too little too late" from AMD.

rgd1101

Don't

Probably have to wait for the next gen for ultra settings in 4k.

rgd1101

Don't

I wonder what if they just have intel make their chip in 22nm. Since intel is moving to 14nm, sure they have extra capacity in 22nm.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Why the hell is everybody disappointed ?

The price is good, the performance is good, the temperature is very good ( see 980ti / titan-x temps), the noise is good, power consumption is good. So what`s your problem ? I`ve seen some comments about Nvidia going HBM ... well they aren`t on HBM atm, why do you compare this to a future nvidia product that we don`t even know about ? Compare the present not the future. You can never please some people.

rgd1101

Don't

performance match 980ti, temp is good for water cooling, noisier, power consumption is worse.
Not disappointed, just hope it was better.

obababoy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Why the hell is everybody disappointed ?

The price is good, the performance is good, the temperature is very good ( see 980ti / titan-x temps), the noise is good, power consumption is good. So what`s your problem ? I`ve seen some comments about Nvidia going HBM ... well they aren`t on HBM atm, why do you compare this to a future nvidia product that we don`t even know about ? Compare the present not the future. You can never please some people.

I agree but the problem is AMD should have made a stronger stance coming out. slightly cheaper price, bundled game, higher clocks etc etc. There is no doubt the product is great and the price/performance is close to the 980ti, but alot of people are going to stay where they are at unless AMD really shows as the better deal.

obababoy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
performance match 980ti, temp is good for water cooling, noisier, power consumption is worse.
Not disappointed, just hope it was better.

Whah? It is not noisier and even so AMD said they will fix the slight whine for the retail versions. (the issue only happens at a normal fan profile)

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

I thought Tom's was bought out by Nvidia just a few reviews ago?

Aspiring techie

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
Nice, AMD is back to Titan level performance. This is good news for them. All they need to do is to update their (crappy) drivers to something decent, then they'll be at the top of the single-gpu game.
Nice to see great performance at 4k. It shows that HBM will make decent difference, and that 4GB is enough for now.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
None of these cards are worth buying it, including 980, 980ti, Fury. They are too expensive for very little gain especially if you do 1080p gaming only. I would say Crossfire 290x + 1440p is perfect spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.