AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB Review

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I would like to think so but it is a new process and it is not only being used for GPUs but also AMDs new Zen CPU which I am sure they are ramping up production on.

I think it is just early supply issues as I think they rushed it out to be a sort of stop gap to nVidias Pascal and the production lines were not yielding as much as they need right now.

It will get better though.

InvalidError

Titan

If it is yield and volume production issues with 14nm, they had better have those sorted out before Zen's launch because I don't think AMD can afford paper-launching it due to nonexistent short/medium-term supply.

It's a Samsung process though, and a small die. And Zen shouldn't really be crowding the production line quite yet.

Being a Samsung process means nothing TBH. They have to deal with the same issues as Intel or any other major FAB. Their 14nm had a slow ramp up and they even show when they first launched their 14nm LPE as a stop gap before their finalized 14nm LPP. The LPE was to get it going tand they wanted the LPP>

While GloFlos process is based on the 14nm LPP node it is still using something that had a very different design in mind, low power processors not high powered GPUs and CPUs. I am sure there had to be changes and tweaks which would then mean the process would change making the yields drop.

It would also depend on how many of their FABS they have running the new 14nm process which would require a lot of investment money in upgrading the tech in the FAB, there is a reason why Intels new 14nm FAB cost $5 billion alone, and so far I can only find that FAB 8 is on their 14nm which, per what I can find, can produce 60K 300mm wafers a month. If we had the die size for not only Polaris but Zen and Vega (I am sure Vegas production is starting to ramp) we might be able to se if yields are too low right now.

Their 14nm also did early ramp in 2015 with full scale production in 2016

http://www.globalfoundries.com/newsroom/press-releases/2015/11/05/globalfoundries-achieves-14nm-finfet-technology-success-for-next-generation-amd-products

How long that full ramp up took or when is anyone's guess but that would be the best answer. I doubt they are just "selling out" as they have stiff competition from NVidia.

Funny, no stock now. Not available. See similar items below Not even showing a price what did it cost?

vertexx

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

$260 plus $7 for 3-day shipping.

It's pathetic that RX 470's are now $199 and up. RX 480 4GB in the $199-220 range would be a great deal. RX 470 should be $160-180.

InvalidError

Titan

There is no point in arguing over pricing until availability settles. Until then, prices will get messed up by distributor and retailer "just because we can" markups.

lREcDes.png

JK :)

vertexx

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

I don't view it as "just because we can". I view it as "at least we have some availability for those who are willing to pay a premium right now."

If they didn't have the markup, they would be completely out of stock, and no one would be able to purchase.

InvalidError

Titan

If they didn't have the markups, the same number of people would still be able to buy. The difference is that it would be the early birds snatching deliveries when they arrive instead of the high bidders.

Status
Not open for further replies.