AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again...
Confusion caused by re-branding existing hardware

Yet the exact same issue exists for the uninformed between the same gen GTX 1060 models (3GB and 6GB) which also differ in the available functioning parts of the GPU... There wasn't a big deal made about that, yet there seems to be with the Radeons.

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017

Uhh that's not quite the same. I get that you red hat might be on a little tight but RX570 and RX580 sound like a completely new gen card. Not a slightly overclocked RX470 and RX480. I was excited until I read into the actual specs.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
So basically it boils down to how much more it will cost for an RX570 over an RX470 for a 5%-10% improvement in performance.

Thanks for your efforts Igor, we appreciate it. :)

josetesan

Prominent
Apr 19, 2017
For the sake of comparison,
see http://navoshta.com/cpu-vs-gpu/

According to amazon specs, g2.2xlarge does offer a gtx680/gtx770GPU, so , as you can see, speed increase is amazing !
Besides, i'd like a good gaming card .

18 pages for that Final Conclusion. These 'new' cards from AMD are a joke. Cynincal for AMD. For those that have zero or very little technical savvy, they will purchase these. For the more discerned among us, this is a non-story. C'mon AMD, give us something to cheer about!!! not being the 'also rans' who gave us good cards, and then re-released the same card the following year. Sick of this crap.

dstarr3

Distinguished
I keep wanting to do an AMD-based budget build, but... well, they just don't ever make anything that I feel is competitive. If eventually the price on this dropped to more like 1050 Ti prices, then absolutely, killer bang for the buck. But at the MSRP of $200, I'd rather spend just a little bit more and go for a 1060 6GB.

And in terms of CPUs, I'd like to see what budget Ryzen chips AMD can come up with before I pull the trigger. i3s don't have the core count, so AMD's already ahead, but their budget lineup is getting a bit long in the tooth right now.

Really, it's just not a compelling time to buy just about anything right now.

Too bad that the GTX-1050Ti loses 100% of the time to the RX-470 and RX-570... and loses a majority of the time to a lowly R9-380. The 470 and 570 were meant to compete with the 1060 3GB (Crippled 1060 GPU)

True, not exactly the same....
The 1060 3GB is a cut down 1060 with half the RAM (due to the cutting) while the 1060 6GB is the full thing. (more like a 470-480 or 570-580 comparison in that sense.) HOWEVER The naming convention, just like the 4xx - 5xx issue can be just as confusing to the uninitiated/uneducated in the matters... for the opposite reasons. the 1060 users would expect same performance outside of RAM limitations, while in this case the 5xx users won't be expecting a new and improved Polaris. For that matter, Kaby-Lake is a new and improved Skaylake with an updated hardware codec for video decoding.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008

We were never sampled a 3GB card in the U.S. Our German team did get a 3GB card, which made it into our GeForce GTX 1060 round-up, and yes, a big deal was made about the problematic naming. Then, again, in today's story, the 1060 3GB is explicitly recommended against.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Right. Which is why I'd rather see this AMD card at 1050 Ti prices, or else I'm just going to go with the 1060 6GB.

^ not really a fair comment , the 1060 6gb is in almost all locations $100 more than a comparable 1050ti.

The 570 needs to be at the current 470 pricepoint - the issue at the minute is the prices of 470/480 cards have gone through the roof (in the UK at least,) for some peculiar reason.

I would be happy that at this moment in time there is a GPU choice for pretty much every variable budget - just not all from the same range or even manufacturer.
Amd IMO were very clever with the RX cards , they've hit a market sector performance & pricewise that is missing from nvidias current lineup.

More choice is always a good thing

I guess I'll need to go review it again as I don't remember it sticking out as much as it does here and with the 580 review.

Okay... after review, yes, the 1060 3GB model was not recommended and it was mentioned how-the naming scheme wasn't liked. Unfortunately, it seems a little more time was spent running out of synonyms and more "print space" was used to express the dislike of "improved" older gen tech that is still performance competitive by AMD.

dstarr3

Distinguished

I'm not comparing the pricing of the 1050 vs 1060. I'm just saying that the pricing of this card is a bit too close to the 1060 6GB (which can be had for about $220). For the difference, I'd rather go for the 1060. Now, if AMD had priced this closer to the 1050 Ti, that'd be a no-brainer. But they haven't, so I'm kinda gonna have to overlook this card.

at this moment in the uk you can get the 8gb 580 for £230 which is the same price as a 1060 6gb.

ON newegg Im seeing plenty of 4gb 570's for $169 - Id say that price is absolutely right for what youre getting.

falcompsx

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I would much rather see a slightly spec bumped but otherwise identical product receive a new name to differentiate it, than see an entirely new generation of product recycle an existing name of the previous generation product like nvidia did with the Titan X and the new Titan X.

dstarr3

Distinguished

That's how cars are named and no one seems to be confused by that convention. Honestly, if the industry switched to that kind of naming convention, like a 2016 nVidia 1060 and a 2017 nVidia 1060, etc, that would only make things like required spec sheets on games easier to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.