[SOLVED] Amd Radeon RX 5700 flashing

May 5, 2020
Hi there fellow gamers. I got a major issue with my card. I'm almost sure it's a driver issue, but nonetheless annoying. My screen suddenly flashes while playing. Settings and tweakings don't change anything. I got latest drivers, and my rig is as follows: Ryzen3600 with 16Gb of ram, Nvme SSD 500GB, Asus ROG STRIX 5700 OC 8Gb connected to A philips 4K screen, but playing in 2K. The video card doesn't overheat at all, it's around 55°C.
Thanks for any ideas you may have!

Solution
I'd see about getting a DP cable and trying it, just in case. If it works, the problem is solved. If not, you haven't lost much, and you have a DP cable for future use.

Otherwise you might be looking at a new monitor...
May 5, 2020
Just thought I'd update: Played Remnant From the ashes for a while. Now... once I start the game it makes some flashes, but as I keep playing the flashes never occur again. But guess what? Once I stop playing and revert back to desktop it flashes again for a while.. some green lights too... then it stops. I'm baffled. I bought this card 2 days ago, and I'm already regretting not going Nvidia.

May 5, 2020
Not at all. I had a 970Gtx which has served me well for 4 years. What I'm trying to figure out is what causes them. If the card itself (which means it'd be defective) or the PSU or the drivers...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
You have a 750W which is more than enough. It might just be that graphics card you brought.
Official power rating means nothing - it's a matter of whether or not the PSU is a high quality unit or not. If it's not, then the fact that the RX 5700 consumes a little more power than the GTX 970 could push it over the edge.

Sorry, I forgot: Itek Desert 750W

I would suspect that PSU is questionable. I can't say I've ever come across that brand/model. A photo of the power specifications label MIGHT be helpful. If you can get a known good PSU to borrow and test on your system, that might help.

However, I would ask as well: Which version of the Radeon Adrenaline drivers are you using?

Also, when I did the installation of the RX 5700 on my son's system, I did the following:
  1. Download Adrenaline version 20.2.2 drivers (that's the latest WHQL version the last time I checked)
  2. Download latest DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)
  3. Reboot PC in Safe Mode
  4. Run DDU, choosing "uninstall drivers and shut down"
  5. Removed old card (RX 580)
  6. Installed new card (RX 5700)
  7. Boot up
  8. Install Adrenaline drivers
If that's not how you did it, then you should try those steps, except that in step 4, you might have to do the following:
  • Run DDU and choose "uninstall only" and tell it specifically to remove the Nvidia drivers (that may be left over from your GTX 970 install)
  • Run DDU again and choose "uninstall and reboot" and tell it specifically to remove the AMD drivers
That SHOULD do the trick, and allows us to eliminate the possibility of residual driver information from the previous Nvidia install. However, if the symptoms persist, then I'd be more inclined to believe that the PSU is questionable.

How old is the PSU? A very hasty search seems to show that it's inexpensive, which makes me suspect that it's not a high quality unit.

The first link in my sig offers a guide to good vs bad PSUs.

May 5, 2020
Yes king, you're right, it's definitely not a good quality PSU. If I can get a good one to test my rig with, I can confirm your impressions. Mine's almost 5 years old now. I'm with Adrenaline 20.4.2, which is the latest optional, but I was on 20.2.2 before and did the same thing. I'm actually baffled by the fact that the flashes/artifacts appear with no logic pattern or reason, and tend to stop after about 1/2 minutes of gameplay.. If the PSU was the culprit, then it should continue with the issue... I'm actually very confused..

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, I guess it depends on how stable/shaky the power is that the PSU is providing. If the PSU is fluctuating randomly, then it might be doing enough to make the GPU happy at some points, and at other points failing to provide enough power.

That's what I would guess is happening.

May 5, 2020
I might add that my PSU hasn't got the 6-pin pci-e cord, but only the 8 pin one. I had to take an adapter from molex to 6-pin pci-e.. is there a way to verify stability of power supply?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I might add that my PSU hasn't got the 6-pin pci-e cord, but only the 8 pin one. I had to take an adapter from molex to 6-pin pci-e.. is there a way to verify stability of power supply?
Whoa . . ok, that is a bad idea. Molex to 6-pin (and especially Molex to 8-pin) is just asking for trouble. That's generally considered to be a fire hazard.

So, if I understand this correctly - your card needs an 8-pin and a 6-pin? You have the 8-pin from your PSU to the card, but the 6-pin is being done with a molex-to-6-pin adpater?

Stop gaming with it ASAP, and get a PSU that gives you the proper connections. If the PSU only provided a single 8-pin PCIe connector, that indicates to me that the manufacturer does NOT have confidence that their PSU can produce the wattage it claims to have.

May 5, 2020
So, if I understand this correctly - your card needs an 8-pin and a 6-pin? You have the 8-pin from your PSU to the card, but the 6-pin is being done with a molex-to-6-pin adpater?
Thas is, alas, correct. Can you confirm (no certainty of course...) that this might be the trouble?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Can I be absolutely 100% certain? No.

Would I personally take the gamble of using a system set up that way. ABSOLUTELY NOT! It's a risk to your expensive new video card, since a low-quality PSU, when it fails, can take out other components with it. Possibly a risk to your dwelling, if the adapter or PSU catches fire.

Please, for your own safety, get a good PSU as soon as possible.

May 5, 2020
Ok, just thought I'd add some of the news. Tried OCCT to stress all the components of my rig, and this includes the PSU. Every single test went smooth. I stressed the GPU's memory, the GPU itself in 4k (it kept 39fps), not a single flashing on screen. I updated the card's bios, as well as tried the ASUS ROG drivers. All well? Nope. When I play something, it keeps flashing. Just at the very start, then it stops, as usual. I'm beginning to think I got a faulty card.

erichoooop

Commendable
May 3, 2020
Ok, just thought I'd add some of the news. Tried OCCT to stress all the components of my rig, and this includes the PSU. Every single test went smooth. I stressed the GPU's memory, the GPU itself in 4k (it kept 39fps), not a single flashing on screen. I updated the card's bios, as well as tried the ASUS ROG drivers. All well? Nope. When I play something, it keeps flashing. Just at the very start, then it stops, as usual. I'm beginning to think I got a faulty card.
Where did you buy the RX 5700 XT?

TRENDING THREADS