[SOLVED] AMD Radeon RX 5700 Gigabyte FPS Under-powered

May 6, 2020
Hi there folks, I just recently bought an RX 5700 8gb OC and I thought it was performing well until I compared it to my old graphics card which was an Asus GTX 960 4GB OC STRIX. I have been playing Red Dead Redemption and GTA V. I never really noticed any problems in RDR2 other than the FPS being capped at 50 FPS. I tried turning off VSync through the game's settings and AMD Adrenalin to no luck. It wasn't really bothering me however when I went to play GTA Online I noticed that I'm getting a measly 56 FPS in the city and 80-90 FPS in the sky. This is outrageous due to the fact my 960 could clock 90 FPS with the exact same settings in the city and never flinched under 80 at any time. I can't understand what the hell is wrong, I tried researching through Google but no one seems to have a definitive answer. The more I thought over it the more I began to realise that my GPU has to be underperforming. I'd really appreciate if someone could help.

My current set-up is:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
MB: ASRock B450 Steel Legend
PSU: 600W
RAM: 8GB Fury HyperX (only temporary but I had the same stick and amount whilst running my 960)
and obviously the GPU is an RX5700 from Gigabyte

I'd really appreciate if someone could help as this is extremely frustrating after spending almost £400 on this card. After watching some YouTube the same card was achieving 70-80 FPS in RDR2 and 160-170 FPS in GTAV with very similar settings to mine. So I know something isn't right, any help would be much appreciated.

Steps I have taken: Uninstalled NVidia drivers using DDU, and uninstalled AMD and reinstalled AMD drivers, tried a different monitor and TV, different resolutions etc to no avail. Any help greatly appreciated.

Kind~Regards

Solution
Hi there folks, I just recently bought an RX 5700 8gb OC and I thought it was performing well until I compared it to my old graphics card which was an Asus GTX 960 4GB OC STRIX. I have been playing Red Dead Redemption and GTA V. I never really noticed any problems in RDR2 other than the FPS being capped at 50 FPS. I tried turning off VSync through the game's settings and AMD Adrenalin to no luck. It wasn't really bothering me however when I went to play GTA Online I noticed that I'm getting a measly 56 FPS in the city and 80-90 FPS in the sky. This is outrageous due to the fact my 960 could clock 90 FPS with the exact same settings in the city and never flinched under 80 at any time. I can't understand what the hell is wrong, I...
Hi there folks, I just recently bought an RX 5700 8gb OC and I thought it was performing well until I compared it to my old graphics card which was an Asus GTX 960 4GB OC STRIX. I have been playing Red Dead Redemption and GTA V. I never really noticed any problems in RDR2 other than the FPS being capped at 50 FPS. I tried turning off VSync through the game's settings and AMD Adrenalin to no luck. It wasn't really bothering me however when I went to play GTA Online I noticed that I'm getting a measly 56 FPS in the city and 80-90 FPS in the sky. This is outrageous due to the fact my 960 could clock 90 FPS with the exact same settings in the city and never flinched under 80 at any time. I can't understand what the hell is wrong, I tried researching through Google but no one seems to have a definitive answer. The more I thought over it the more I began to realise that my GPU has to be underperforming. I'd really appreciate if someone could help.

My current set-up is:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
MB: ASRock B450 Steel Legend
PSU: 600W
RAM: 8GB Fury HyperX (only temporary but I had the same stick and amount whilst running my 960)
and obviously the GPU is an RX5700 from Gigabyte

I'd really appreciate if someone could help as this is extremely frustrating after spending almost £400 on this card. After watching some YouTube the same card was achieving 70-80 FPS in RDR2 and 160-170 FPS in GTAV with very similar settings to mine. So I know something isn't right, any help would be much appreciated.

Steps I have taken: Uninstalled NVidia drivers using DDU, and uninstalled AMD and reinstalled AMD drivers, tried a different monitor and TV, different resolutions etc to no avail. Any help greatly appreciated.

Kind~Regards
download hwmonitor and have it running while you play GTA V to monitor your temps. Your gpu could be thermal throttling, due to a bad computer case etc.

Solution

guilhermehsvieira

Prominent
Oct 4, 2018
I don't think this is thermal throttling because I have the same issue and my gpu don't go above 60°C. My gpu is the gigabyte 5700xt oc and with my old gtx 1070 I never experienced a humble of issues like the amd does. Im really dissapointed with them.
Playing GTA online my fps don't go above 100 and in some places go under 40 fps.. My processor is a Ryzen 2700x with pbo enable, LLC on 4 (4.2 - 4.3 when gaming).
Ram is a patriot Viper RGB overclocked to 3400mhz (stable on memtest).
Psu is a evga G3 nova 750w plus gold.
Board Msi x470 m7 ac bios updated.
Im not using a split cable from psu.
I did a New fresh windows installation, all drivers up to date.
Playing in 1080p.

Last edited:
Thanks I’ll try that, what should the GPU be running at on a standard basis?
The MAX junction temperature is 110c.. I'd say 100c at max to be safe. And when Idle, for most gpu's might be up to ~50c since some of them have a feature to not use their fans unless they hit a certain temperature. Also, this might not be thermal throttling since guilhermehsvieira has the same issue.
although it is the 5700xt version. (Now, I know my tech but I don't know everything. So there's a chance I won't be able to help a ton.) But one thing you can do with that program I told you to get is once you're done gaming tell me the max temp, max load, and max watts your gpu consumed. By using the program just run the installer then have it open when while gaming. (The program is very resource friendly) Also include the average fps you get. (Even if I can't fix this problem, somebody who knows more might come along and be able to know what's wrong based on the info you provided to me. or it might guide them to a path of resolving your issue.)

May 6, 2020
Yeah I was searching around for more information and gathered that the AMD cards at this present moment in time are giving nothing but heaps of complications. After doing what you said Prince:
The MAX junction temperature is 110c.. I'd say 100c at max to be safe. And when Idle, for most gpu's might be up to ~50c since some of them have a feature to not use their fans unless they hit a certain temperature. Also, this might not be thermal throttling since guilhermehsvieira has the same issue.
although it is the 5700xt version. (Now, I know my tech but I don't know everything. So there's a chance I won't be able to help a ton.) But one thing you can do with that program I told you to get is once you're done gaming tell me the max temp, max load, and max watts your gpu consumed. By using the program just run the installer then have it open when while gaming. (The program is very resource friendly) Also include the average fps you get. (Even if I can't fix this problem, somebody who knows more might come along and be able to know what's wrong based on the info you provided to me. or it might guide them to a path of resolving your issue.)
My temps were stable, junction temp was around 77 and gpu temp was mid 60s. I have never experienced so many problems with installing a GPU in my life.

I don't think this is thermal throttling because I have the same issue and my gpu don't go above 60°C. My gpu is the gigabyte 5700xt oc and with my old gtx 1070 I never experienced a humble of issues like the amd does. Im really dissapointed with them.
Playing GTA online my fps don't go above 100 and in some places go under 40 fps.. My processor is a Ryzen 2700x with pbo enable, LLC on 4 (4.2 - 4.3 when gaming).
Ram is a patriot Viper RGB overclocked to 3400mhz (stable on memtest).
Psu is a evga G3 nova 750w plus gold.
Board Msi x470 m7 ac bios updated.
Im not using a split cable from psu.
I did a New fresh windows installation, all drivers up to date.
Playing in 1080p.
I just decided to try and get a refund on my card. I sent it back to the website I bought it from (scan.co.uk) and they seem to be very helpful. They have authorised my refund request and I sent it off a day or two ago, waiting on a response. I'll keep everyone updated but I should have just went with my gut instinct from the start and got a RTX2070s. When I do get one I'll be sure to update my situation here. Thanks Prince for trying to help but I figure after spending that money that the product should be ready to go, I shouldn't have to go digging to find out why it's not so definitely not worth the value or the hassle of this card I'm afraid. Hopefully Scan will refund the money so I can get the card I initially wanted in the beginning; I decided to give AMD a chance with their cards... never again will I do that. It's a shame really because my system is running AMD processor and fans and they are a really good component, just a shame their GPUs aren't in the same league.

Reactions: PrinceTexasLoaf
Yeah I was searching around for more information and gathered that the AMD cards at this present moment in time are giving nothing but heaps of complications. After doing what you said Prince:

My temps were stable, junction temp was around 77 and gpu temp was mid 60s. I have never experienced so many problems with installing a GPU in my life.

I just decided to try and get a refund on my card. I sent it back to the website I bought it from (scan.co.uk) and they seem to be very helpful. They have authorised my refund request and I sent it off a day or two ago, waiting on a response. I'll keep everyone updated but I should have just went with my gut instinct from the start and got a RTX2070s. When I do get one I'll be sure to update my situation here. Thanks Prince for trying to help but I figure after spending that money that the product should be ready to go, I shouldn't have to go digging to find out why it's not so definitely not worth the value or the hassle of this card I'm afraid. Hopefully Scan will refund the money so I can get the card I initially wanted in the beginning; I decided to give AMD a chance with their cards... never again will I do that. It's a shame really because my system is running AMD processor and fans and they are a really good component, just a shame their GPUs aren't in the same league.
No problem, and yeah it's a shame. My dad has a rtx 2070, and he games 144hz 1440p with it that gpu is definitely worth every penny!

Reactions: Portside