AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasik124

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Unless I am really missing something, can't you just slightly overclock the 480 to match the slight performance boost the 580 has?

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Take a look at the frametimes at start. I think, it's a driver issue, because it was reproducible ;)

No, it were in each case less than 1375 MHz. Slower as the Silent Mode of this 580 and simply too hot for my taste. The problem is not the pre-defined clock rate itself but the reduced real clocks from power tune due temps and voltage/power limtations;)

lasik124

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

So i guess what Im trying to ask is it worth buying at 580 (Currently at a 7870) or save a couple bucks pick up a 480 non reference cooler and be able to slightly overclock it to get in game benchmarks similar if closely identical to the current 580?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no, you'll get the 480 numbers with a 480. the tested card was already oc'ed and you won't get any better manually. the changes made to the 580 can't be done to the 480.

want the extra few fps, then you'll want to get a 580.

Tech_TTT

Notable
Apr 4, 2017
I dont get it , for sure AMD could release this card as the original RX 480 long ago , why did they allow Nvidia GTX 1060 to steal the RX 480 share ?

Very Stupid Strategy ... I now alot of people who bought GTX 1060 and wished AMD were better Just to take advantage of the cheaper Freesync Monitors.

AMD you lost millions of buyers !!! for nothing !!!

Don't think it's as simple as you make it out to be. They're a huge company with a ton of professionals, they know what they're doing.

Better binning ,refinements on the power circuitry - something thats come with time after the initial production runs of the rx470/480.
Fairly normal process for how amd work in all honesty.
Has it lost them some custom to prospective buyers in the last 6 months since the rx series was released ?? Maybe a few - not even 1% of the buyers they'd have lost if theyd actually held the rx series release back until now though!!

Tech_TTT

Notable
Apr 4, 2017

Thats the Job of the R&D in the beta testing interval .. not after release, I am not buying this explanation at all.

Tech_TTT

Notable
Apr 4, 2017

Blind faith ?

sorry does not work .

well Apple were huge once and they knew what they were doing and still lost the market when they kicked Steve Jobs out ...

Digital Equipment were huge once ... they knew what they were doing

SGI were huge once they knew what they were doing ...

Comaq once were better than Dell they knew what they were doing .. where is Compaq now ?

sorry does not work this way .

Pretty sure they've released the rx480 ASAP
And the Rx580 now wasn't ready back then

It was important to release the 480 before the 1060 would come out to get early buyers.
The fact that it took almost a year to release the 580 shows a lot.

If they'd had waited with the 480 a few month they'd probably lost a huge amount of money

Not seeing any reason to be disappinted at all personally.
The 480 is still a good card for anyone who bought one on release - for anyone who hasnt it means a big price drop to the same pricepoint as the 1060 3gb for the 8gb models.

The rx cards were a totally new fabrication process for amd after using pretty much the same stuff for the last 3 generations.
Better binning refinements come with time on a new process!

Where do you think the intel kaby lake chips appeared from 12-18 months after skylake ?? Theyre quite simply from a refined process & better binning of the same production line.
Its a normal process , amd actually just managed it a bit quicker than is normal for them.

Apple lost the market and were huge once? Excuse me, they just set a quarterly revenue record with 78 billion dollars earned in Q4 2016 (fiscal Q1 2017).

The RX 480 was held to low clocks because the process node wasn't mature, and it was one of the first gaming GPUs in a long time not built by TSMC. It's only natural that they would eventually be able to reach higher clocks, which were not feasible at the 480 launch.

Funny thing is it bears at least a passing resemblance to Nvidia's troubles with the GTX 480 back in the day. The GTX 580 polished that up.

The 480 has a voltage limit of 1.15v so you had to mode the bios on the 480 to break beyond 1.4Ghz. Yes it could be done but only those that know how. Last OC I remember for the 480 was 1.65Ghz using LN2. I think the best Air OC was mid-ish 1.5Ghz but most on air wouldn't break 1.5Ghz due to the silicon lottery. The 580 seems to have a best performance around 1.48Ghz anyways with the memory OC'ed 50Mhz.

I think you can attribute this to process maturity and design refinement. Have to remember that the 14nm process was brand new and as we always see, when the process matures, we get some enhancements. ALL companies do this.

I have to admit I was surprised to see a 8 and 6 pin power connector on the 580, especially since the 480 took 1 - 8pin to be properly powered. But since this isn't a arch tweak, I understand it.

So what it comes down to now is:
Better efficiency and preference for older DX11 games = 1060
Better DX12 and Vulcan + equal current DX11 games = 580

I think this is a win for AMD overall. Guess we will have to wait for the 680 for architecture refinements or maybe by then we will be getting a look at Navi.

Tech_TTT

Notable
Apr 4, 2017

I was talking about Apple old times when they struggled after kicking out Steve Jobs ... READ

I think they were referring to how they dominated the PC market back in the 70's, then Jobs made some really bad business decisions, got removed from the company and Apple spent several decades as a footnote. Today, their computer business isn't exactly booming, just the phones and tablets.

Vega is top end, this is a mainstream market refresh. Not too late for anything, they tuned and corrected some design flaws while the maturity of the process let them boost the clocks.

nVidia could potentially do a similar thing, but they are probably just moving on.

Reactions: msroadkill612

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Try being a little more respectful to those you are speaking to here. We will not tolerate rude or disruptive behavior.

Tech_TTT

Notable
Apr 4, 2017

saying read is rude ? I meant read again . nothing else.

tridon

Honorable
May 2, 2012
0,5% increased power consumption for 5%-10% better performance. I would say that doesn't warrant a negative bulletpoint for the card using more power than the 480. Might very well just be the binning lottery, but if anything better efficiency would be a neutral or positive point for a consumer considering buying this card :p

Status
Not open for further replies.