Question AMD Radeon RX 580 PC to TV Bad Connection: Have to Unplug and Replug HDMI Cable on Every Startup to get Image Display

Apr 15, 2021
Hello,

I have a frustrating problem where I have to unplug and replug my HDMI cable on every startup in order to get an image to display. Specifically, I boot the PC with the cable detached and then plug back in after a few seconds. Sometimes if my timing is too late, the audio drivers won't pick up on the TV speakers and I will end up with a red x where the volume should be displayed on the task bar. I generally do this from the PC connection side, but it also works if I do it from the TV connection side. This has been going on for years, through many Windows and Driver updates. I've also tried older display drivers with no better results (along with tons of other software troubleshooting: testing different resolutions, booting with TV on and off, messing with GPU scaling and HDMI connection settings, disabling all programs on startup, registry cleaning with CC Cleaner). I have also tried other HDMI cables.This problem does not exist when I use other TVs / monitors, nor does it exist when I use other PCs with the TV in question.

One thing worth noting is that the monitors that have worked fine in the past are all displaying in 1080p, whereas the TV that doesn't work is 4K. Also this is my first time using a modern "smart" TV so I'm wondering if the TV is being too smart for it's own good and not extending the handshake to my PC.

I believe this may be a hardware problem since I've exhausted my software troubleshooting. I lack the technical skills to troubleshoot hardware, having never built a PC or anything like that. Please help with any advice you may have. This is my first post here, so if I'm breaking any rules or missing any info, please let me know.

PC: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0020, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G Processor, AMD Radeon RX 580 Graphics Card.

TV: LG OLED65C9PUA

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS