News AMD Radeon RX 6400 Benchmarks: 30% Slower Than the RX 6500 XT

Considering this is a Navi 24 GPU, does AMD mean to tell us they had enough 6500 XTs that didn't make the cut that they could create an entirely new product line?

On the flip side, the ~55W TDP does make it tempting as a GT 710 replacement for anyone looking for something like that.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Huh, so, coming in just behind the 1650 GDDR5 version.

Well, I will say this: if these benchmarks are representative of real world gaming performance, then this is, technically, a better card than the 6500XT.

30% lower performance, but 50% lower power consumption, makes it a more efficient card.

And, let's be honest, there's still a market for the GT 1030 GDDR5, isn't there? This outperforms it. Hell, Nvidia decided that there was a market for the GT 1030 DDR4 variant.

There's also still a market for those 1650 GDDR5 cards that are still around, so there's a market for this, particularly given that, a smidgen less performance than the 1650 GDDR5, but with about 30% less power consumption.

Sure, it's weaksauce overall, but still better than any iGPU, even the Ryzen 5x00G APUs. There's a niche for it, if it's inexpensive enough.

EDIT: what would I have changed? I'd have called the RX 6500 XT the RX 6400.. and the RX 6400 I'd have called the RX 6300.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
The 6500xt was bad enough. There was no need to bring this to market.
There has been a GPU shortage situation for most of the last two years. There definitely was a need to make something to enable OEMs to ship PCs that were only missing a GPU to ship and couldn't get any. Sucks that it ended up being repurposed laptop parts with some heavy deficiencies but still better than nothing.

The more options there are, the less pressure on supply there will be and the more chances we have of prices returning to some semblance of sanity..

Reactions: King_V

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
There has been a GPU shortage situation for most of the last two years. There definitely was a need to make something to enable OEMs to ship PCs that were only missing a GPU to ship and couldn't get any. Sucks that it ended up being repurposed laptop parts with some heavy deficiencies but still better than nothing.

The more options there are, the less pressure on supply there will be and the more chances we have of prices returning to some semblance of sanity..
As bad as the 6500xt is, it's too good to be used as a turn on the monitor card. The cards that ship in business OEM desktops were not affected by all the craziness in the gaming GPU market. No one was clamoring over an AMD 7450 to mine or game with.

logainofhades

Titan

According to the article, the 6500xt isn't even selling well. Nobody wants to spend so much money, on such a terrible card.

There has been a GPU shortage situation for most of the last two years.
I would say "slightly over a year", at least as far as availability of cards outside the RTX 30-series goes. Even the first 30-series cards came out less than a year and a half ago, and shortages of new-generation cards tend to be common. Retail availability and pricing of most other cards was still alright at major online retailers up until January of last year.