News AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT Selling at 35% Below MSRP in Germany

Much maligned GPU. Have to laugh though. It's hardly even worth it at the reduced price. I hope that now GPU pricing seems to be on the way to something more normal, that AMD are left with a truck load of these things, and can't sell them as they are actually rubbish.

Reactions: artk2219
All they had to do is sell it with a 8x link as low as pcie3 and they would have gotten their original 300 dollar asking price.

Such a foolish thing to do equipping this card with a 4X link @ pcie 4. They would have cleaned up the low end market using 8x pcie in order to stunt the card slightly and made a pile of money doing so. People just needed to fill the gap, but those people don't have new equipment.

InvalidError

Titan
All they had to do is sell it with a 8x link as low as pcie3 and they would have gotten their original 300 dollar asking price.
The GPU was designed to pair with 6000-series APUs in laptops. The desktop RX6500s are only a side-hustle to accommodate an otherwise grossly neglected market segment. With some luck, AMD won't repeat the same mistakes if it launches desktop RX7500.

$160 sounds just about right for what the RX6500 is. I wouldn't be too mad if my GTX1050 decided to quit on me and I could get an RX6500 for that price, though I would prefer holding out until I can get an RTX3050 for sub-$200.
Hope the 1050 lasts for another 2 years ;) With the older 3.0 pie interface there were at least a couple more market segments that would have bought that card up for 300 bucks at launch, but I guess I see what you mean. He'll I'd buy a laptop with that card,almost too perfect.
The thought of a 128 bit mem and an 8x link could be sold as a desktop xtx model.

Last edited:

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020

Such a foolish thing to do equipping this card with a 4X link @ pcie 4. They would have cleaned up the low end market using 8x pcie in order to stunt the card slightly and made a pile of money doing so. People just needed to fill the gap, but those people don't have new equipment.
I am not expert at this, but this is not just about providing a PCB with an x8 link and be done. The GPU itself was designed for x4 link/ interface. So the pin count/ connection is not going to allow it to run at x8.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
$160 sounds just about right for what the RX6500 is. I wouldn't be too mad if my GTX1050 decided to quit on me and I could get an RX6500 for that price, though I would prefer holding out until I can get an RTX3050 for sub-$200.
I agree that the GPU is ok, if the price is right. To me, this should be worth around USD 150, which is below AMD’s MSRP. But I am not surprised at the steep price drop because in the DIY space, most people will not want a GPU with this much compromises and level of performance. I suspect most people won’t mind paying more for a more capable card like the RTX 3050, as long as the prices don’t go crazy. With prices dropping drastically across the entire GPU range, interest for this card is probably very very low. However, AMD can still sell these cards cheaply to OEMs, which should sell in the truckloads.

I am not expert at this, but this is not just about providing a PCB with an x8 link and be done. The GPU itself was designed for x4 link/ interface. So the pin count/ connection is not going to allow it to run at x8.
Easily remedied, with little cost,when moving g the card to des!top. I had no idea it was aimed at laptops, mostly as I've never seen laptop with it as an option.

I don't claim to be an expert either, just an enthusiast. The 6500xt as a desktop card was pigeon holed. And to me that's bummer,

InvalidError

Titan
4X->8X bus mux chip is cheap. Because the PCIe bus is relatively slow the latency is practically non-existant.
A mux chip only routes inputs to outputs, it doesn't convert bandwidth. If you want to convert between 4.0x4 and 3.0x8, you need a PCIe packet switch like those $50+ PLXes.

Pairing it with an APU in a laptop would make the iGPU redundant and mostly useless.
In low power "all-day" laptops, the IGP gets used for power efficiency (10+ hours per charge) while the GPU gets used for performance on demand and may get completely switched off when not needed. Also, since the RX6500 lacks video encoding and decoding, it requires an IGP to cover those shortcomings in a power-efficient manner.

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
If this thing actually drops to or below $150 USD, I'd be tempted to pick on up. I've got a Ryzen 5600X with an old GTX 950 right now so this would be an upgrade to that. An RTX 3050 or something like that would be nice if the prices where closer to $200-$250. But honestly, that would mostly be wasted on me as I don't really game much. The 950 has so far held up well for my needs, it's just old.

A mux chip only routes inputs to outputs, it doesn't convert bandwidth. If you want to convert between 4.0x4 and 3.0x8, you need a PCIe packet switch like those $50+ PLXes.
Yep, and MUX switches are only used in Lenovo laptops to bypass the iGPU for when you hook up an external monitor. So you can get native FREESYNC/GSYNC which normally gets disabled when you have to run video through the iGPU before it goes out the HDMI/DP.