News AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX Debuts in Steam Hardware Survey at Position 93

It is hard to predict when AMD might make a top-10 gaming GPU again.

That's easy to predict: When AMD does what they did with the HD 4870 and bring out a card that's competitive with, or better than, its nVidia counterpart yet priced drastically less.

Since that day will be "never", it's very likely AMD will not be in the top 10 again.

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
The 4060M is surprisingly a very good GPU considering that it's the same as the desktop variant and that before it the 3060M was a "rtx 2060 6gb" performer which leads to a huge leap forward. It can also be found in notebooks under 1grand which is a very decent option IMO. Not that I would buy one though, I don't do laptops, but it is a very good option for someone who goes since buying a 7600X/13600K with a desktop 4060 would hit the same grand

motocros1

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
the steam hardware survey should include all steam users with the option to opt out. i've been using steam since around 2006 and i've only ever had the steam hardware survey come to me about 2 years ago when, at the time had a 1070 ti, the second of 2 nvidia cards i've ever owned. most of my cards have been ati/amd. i think its strange they don't push it on more people than they do

Reactions: salgado18

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
when the majority of steam surveys are usually people hanging on to there old PC's using old arse GPU's maybe in 20 years we will start seeing AMD or modern Nvidia cards making a impact on the steam charts !!

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I'll point out once more: take Steam hardware surveys with a grain of salt. It requires the user to be asked to get their hardware surveyed and agree to submitting it.
Bingo.

The hardware survey only indicates those who want to submit their hardware. So these result are purely on a selective basis.

The survey barely pops up anymore (maybe I changed something?).
I for one have stopped doing it because what is Steam giving me in return?

NeoMorpheus

Reputable
Jun 8, 2021
I'll point out once more: take Steam hardware surveys with a grain of salt. It requires the user to be asked to get their hardware surveyed and agree to submitting it.
Actually, its worse than that.

Lots of people seems to have the weird experience of not receiving the survey when they have an AMD gpu, yet swapping it for a ngreedia one and would get the survey month after month.

As a matter of fact, it happened to me last week. I just finished rebuilding my gaming pc with a 7900xtx, but something was acting funny, so i swapped for a gtx970 snd boom! Survey popped up!.

Swapped the 7900xtx back and nothing. Will wait to see if i get it in a month, but have little hope.

I also have a ThinkPad T14 all AMD and in over 2 years, i haven’t received one survey in it.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
i have never seen the survey, and i think i have been using it for a good 5 years now, maybe closer to 10...

i wouldnt trust the stream survey other that a very small snap shot of what could be used for hardware...

Lots of people seems to have the weird experience of not receiving the survey when they have an AMD gpu, yet swapping it for a ngreedia one and would get the survey month after month.

As a matter of fact, it happened to me last week. I just finished rebuilding my gaming pc with a 7900xtx, but something was acting funny, so i swapped for a gtx970 snd boom! Survey popped up!.

Swapped the 7900xtx back and nothing. Will wait to see if i get it in a month, but have little hope.

I also have a ThinkPad T14 all AMD and in over 2 years, i haven’t received one survey in it.
I haven't been getting the survey for a while and I have an NVIDIA card.

fideriks1910

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018

I've used various Nvidia desktop GPUs and gaming laptops over the years and I've never been asked to participate in this survey, stop making conspiracy theories in your head, the reality is that AMD GPUs are simply not popular

Jul 11, 2023
This is interesting, but if you sort the steam statistics by monthly growth, the "useless 4060ti" is in third place, although 3070 was in first place.
I think if so much <Mod Edit> hadn't been dumped on 4060ti, then the ratio between 4060ti and 3070 would have been in favor of 4060ti.
I also think that with the appearance of more new heavy games with DLSS 3 support (remnant 2 for example), the growth of the 4000 series may accelerate.
I think this time the community went too far with heyting nvidia

Last edited by a moderator:

NeoMorpheus

Reputable
Jun 8, 2021
I've used various Nvidia desktop GPUs and gaming laptops over the years and I've never been asked to participate in this survey, stop making conspiracy theories in your head, the reality is that AMD GPUs are simply not popular
sigh...why are people always out to attack others, even when they are not even addressed directly?

Re-read my comment again and you will see that I never stated that my words were absolute.

Seriously, waste your energy of something more productive than being a ngreedia white knight.

But small sample backing up my words and mind you, i recall reading this with way older dates, but dont feel the need to keep this nonsense battles with white knights.:

Enlighten me. Why the grain of salt then?
Because we don't really know (or at least I'm not aware of) how Steam gathers the data outside of Steam at some point asking a user if they'd like to submit their hardware profile to Valve. I haven't gotten asked this for a while and I'm certainly not alone in this. And then there's the question of the distribution of people who get asked. If more people in developed countries get asked, this can skew the results towards higher end configurations.

I noticed an anomaly in the data last month:
Because if you look at the history (since Valve also provides the last four months), the RTX 3060 was in 10.67% of computers that were surveyed in March. It dropped down to 4.66% in April, though the GTX 1650 went up about 2 percentage points. So unless a significant amount of people sold their 3060s and got a GTX 1650, this doesn't really say much about actual ownership of video cards across Steam's landscape.
(or conversely now that I think about it, there just happened to be a glut of 1650s that people gobbled up, but there'd have to be other data to back that up)

Similarly I had to point out the statistical oddity from this news comment thread:
I think it's also important to note how Statcounter gathers its data: https://gs.statcounter.com/faq#methodology. The gist is they use tracking code that web sites can embed. Depending on how the user's browser is set up, if the computer is even connected to the internet at all, or the user somehow avoids those websites, this code may or may not be executed.

For instance, claiming that macOS has a 20% market share is odd considering that a quick Google search tells me that Apple only shipped ~7 million computers last year (https://www.statista.com/statistics/263444/sales-of-apple-mac-computers-since-first-quarter-2006/) , which is near as much as they've ever shipped in a year. Meanwhile about 286 million "Personal computers" were shipped last year (https://www.statista.com/statistics/273495/global-shipments-of-personal-computers-since-2006/)

I still think the data from Steam Hardware surveys is meaningful, they just can't be used to look at the whole picture.