News AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX, Radeon 7900 XT, and RDNA 3 Revealed

creatorbros3

Honorable
Sep 15, 2017
I am very excited about this announcement and am looking forward to the 7700/7800 cards when they come out. I may spring for the 7900 if the need really arises, but I think I will likely be fine waiting for the more affordable card. For reference, I do 4K+ video editing with Davinci Resolve.

Nice article.

By the way, don't you think that there is a surprisingly small difference of only $100, for a performance difference that will certainly be larger, probably in the 20-25% range (just my guess), between the XTX and XT ?

I was expecting a much lower SEP for the XT-variant though.

Reactions: artk2219

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
So that's R20k for the 7900XTX and R18k for the 7900XT.

Geez. That's 3080 money (in South Africa) for Lord knows how much more performance. Wow.

Also, the dual SIMD might turn this into a compute MONSTER for cryptographic hashing and distributed computing like the BOINC or dnetc research projects. <3

If AMD RX 7900XTX can get in the neighborhood of the RTX 4090 in most "usual" benchmarked games, at 1440p and 4K in rasterization (without taking in consideration the FSR and DLSS crap), with that price, then this will be a really good launch for them.

But drivers and games need to be ready for it.

Nvidia will keep selling cards no matter what AMD does, this is the same as Intel with their CPUs, but if the cards are available (including mid-range "early" next year), the performance is close and the drivers and price are decent compared to nvidia old and new prodcuts, then this will be a hit in people perception for next year, that Nvidia wont like.

I really hope we get new gen midrange tier soon. I was about to buy a RX 6800 or RTX 3070, but I think I will keep using my current card and wait a little longer. Either for new gen GPUs, or even better prices for the old gen.

Last edited:

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nice article.

By the way, don't you think that there is a surprisingly small difference of only $100, for a performance difference that will certainly be larger, probably in the 20-25% range (just my guess), between the XTX and XT ?

I was sort of surprised by the little price difference between the models as well. It really sort of reminds me of the 6800 vs 6800XT performance and price difference. Well at least at launch MSRP prices, we all know how that actually played out in the dark times. I am going to guess a lot of people will opt for the little higher priced XTX assuming there isn't a much larger actual selling price gap when they actually hit the market.

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Well, even if it doesn't do better than the 4090, it sounds as that there may be above 100 FPS at 4K Ultra with it, and that at a quite lower price than for the 4090. Makes me now consider going for 4K, instead of planned 1440p rig, as I will need a new screen anyhow. Or if I will go for 1440p rig, it might get a bit cheaper. Nice news in any case.

Giroro

Splendid
If AMD RX 7900XTX can get in the neighborhood of the RTX 4090 in most "usual" benchmarked games, at 1440p and 4K in rasterization (without taking in consideration the FSR and DLSS crap), with that price, then this will be a really good launch for them.

But drivers and games need to be ready for it.

Nvidia will keep selling cards no matter what AMD does, this is the same as Intel with their CPUs, but if the cards are available, the performance is close and the drivers and price are what AMD told, then this will be a hit in marketshare for next year, that Nvidia wont like.

I really hope we get new gen midrange tier soon. I was about to buy a RX 6800 or RTX 3070, but I think I will keep using my current card and wait a little longer. Either for new gen GPUs, or even better prices for the old gen.

Realistically, there won't be a noticeable hit to Nvidia's overall market share. It wouldn't even matter if AMD's highest card had double the performance of the 4090. Regardless of what shill YouTubers are paid to pretend is normal, Very very few people actually buy $1000+ GPUs.
If Nvidia sells 5,000 RTX 4090s worldwide this year instead of 10,000 ... So what? It doesn't move the needle.
Their market share is driven by the millions of old 1650s and 3060's, which are still selling at over MSRP.

"Cautiously Optimistic".

AMD certainly didn't fumble the ball (too much). That 8K thing was a bit embarrassing, but I did enjoy all the daggers on nVidia's side.

Now to wait for benchmarks and see (more like confirm?) if the 4080 is DOA at $1200. The 4090 is probably still untouched at the top and justified due to CUDA and the other nVidia-exclusive stuff, but for the rest of the peeps, the 4080 will be a hard sell if AMD delivers performance close to the 4090 in raster, even if they can't touch it on RT.

Also, AIBs seem like they'll extract a bit more performance out of them with the over-stocked 4090 coolers they can't use thanks to nVidia withholding production xD

Regards.

Realistically, there won't be a noticeable hit to Nvidia's overall market share. It wouldn't even matter if AMD's highest card had double the performance of the 4090. Regardless of what shill YouTubers are paid to pretend is normal, Very very few people actually buy $1000+ GPUs.
If Nvidia sells 5,000 RTX 4090s worldwide this year instead of 10,000 ... So what? It doesn't move the needle.
Their market share is driven by the millions of old 1650s and 3060's, which are still selling at over MSRP.

I was not thinking about high-end products only in that sentence, so it wasn't well writing. edited.

I'm honestly surprised at this pricing. It's still high obviously, but these cards absolutely are costing AMD more money to make than the top end 6xxx did. I hope that this is a sign AMD is coming for nvidia's marketshare because they've been abusing the position for years now and customers need the competition. I'd imagine these cards will be faster (at least in raster) than the forthcoming 4080 which costs minimum $200 more than these.

Hopefully we're headed for a GPU market that looks like the current CPU market where there's real competition among the companies competing.

Reactions: BX4096

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
The multi SIMD might help with streaming especially. You have OBS running, which has to hardware accelerate everything, possibly a webcam, etc. OBS is a major resource hog

I hope it beats the RTX 4080. I'm glad they targeted 350W ish, though I wish they could have done 300W. I personally want to limit my GPU to 230W

Pay me $1000...and I'll spend $200 more and get an RTX 4080.

lol,
Pay me $1000 and I got get a 3070TI + R5 5600 + a 2x 1TB nvme SSD

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($118.05 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Western Digital)
Storage: Crucial P3 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($77.04 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB Video Card ($629.99 @ B&H)
Total: $965.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-03 19:48 EDT-0400

Giroro

Splendid
Personally, I'm pretty disappointed that AMD is even bothering to launch a flagship card. At some point this generation AMD will be selling a card with RTX 3070 level performance for around or below $300. That should have been their launch target.
What's the point in trying to compete at the high-end when RDNA cards have no mainstream credibility?
They still haven't educated the market that RDNA is a lot better than GCN, nor that their drivers have improved.
What chance does AMD really have to capture the "money is no object" market, when none of their cards can even break the top 15 on steam?
The GTX 960 gained market share over AMD last month. Even though AMD's better performing RX 6400 is occasionally available as low as $120. What I'm saying, is that "slightly lower extreme-high-end pricing" will never solve their fundamental problem. AMD handled their constant GCN refreshes/rebrandings so poorly that they still have a bad reputation to overcome with the 90% of gamers in the mainstream market. So far, AMD still has done almost nothing to try and win that market back. AMD can't compete with Nvidia on marketing dollars. AMD really has no choice but to release a modern $200-$300 card with "you would be a complete moron to buy anything else" levels of performance.
Until that happens, Nvidia will be able to continue acting like AMD doesn't even exist.

If AMD can't even convince GTX 960 owners to upgrade, then how can they expect their sales pitch to work on gamers using a 2080 Ti?

2022-11-03-image.png

Nice article.

We'll have to see what performance actually looks like, but based on the paper specs I have to agree that the 7900 XT feels overpriced. It's a sentiment I've heard echoed by others at the AMD event. Perhaps AMD will change the price before launch, like it did with RX 5700 XT/5700.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
We'll have to see what performance actually looks like, but based on the paper specs I have to agree that the 7900 XT feels overpriced. It's a sentiment I've heard echoed by others at the AMD event. Perhaps AMD will change the price before launch, like it did with RX 5700 XT/5700.
Or maybe the price is intentionally set that way to try to get you to buy the 7900 XTX instead of the 7900 XT.
You know, the typical strategy that the top tier gives you the most bang for your buck.
That's a oldie but a goodie in terms of sales strategy.
Same with the Costco model, the larger / more you buy, the more you save on a per unit basis, but apply this to FPS per $.

I can only imagine what the RX 7900 (Vanilla, no Suffix) will cost.
Could the RX 7900 have only 72 CU's?
Here's what the current Binning looks like:
Given that RX 7900 XTX (96 CU's) -> RX 7900 XT (84 CU's) -> RX 7900 (72 CU's ?)

And how will the RX 7800 series be arranged?
Will there be a RX 7800 XTX to indicate the "Full Die", RX 7800 XT to indicate binned down one tier, RX 7800 (Vanilla, no Suffix) to indicate bottom binning?
Navi 32 is rumored to be 64 CU's of RDNA 3.
I don't think they'll be binning down nearly as many CU's as in Navi 31.
Maybe go Old School with
RX 7800 XTX (64 CU) -> RX 7800 XT (60 CU) -> RX 7800 (56 CU).
A nice tribute to their past Radeon Vega 64 / 7 / 56 cards, but in a modernized form.

Navi 33 is rumored to be 40 CU's of RDNA 3.
So, as with previous binning strategies of the past.
RX 7700 XTX (40 CU) -> RX 7700 XT (36 CU) -> RX 7700 (32 CU).

What do you think, plausible?

Last edited:

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
With the higher ratio of shaders to rops/tmus these should hold up their performance better at 4k.
I have concerns about potential stuttering with the way the memory is all broken up into little pieces. But that's just conjecture. Reviews will answer whether that is an issue one way or the other.

Apr 1, 2020
Why though? The XTX seems to be closer to RTX 4090 performance than RTX 4080 performance?

Because AMD's software leaves much to be desired, and I speak from 15 years of experience with Radeon cards, having to keep multiple driver sets, sometimes a year of failed driver sets due to issues they won't fix. nVidia's sofware experience is just worth it.

When was said experience? My 6700xt has been pretty decent. Maybe they still have issues but it seems to me they’re getting better the last year or two.

I’ve been seeing a 6900xt under 700 on Newegg, maybe I should pick that up and sell the 6700xt.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
I'll wait for the next model down, but consuming the same power as last generation while being that much cheaper than the nvidia offers... It still stands that if you don't care for nvidia cuda or Ray Tracing, this is a no brainer.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
Because AMD's software leaves much to be desired, and I speak from 15 years of experience with Radeon cards, having to keep multiple driver sets, sometimes a year of failed driver sets due to issues they won't fix. nVidia's sofware experience is just worth it.

my 7970 is still going just fine with the latest drivers for it, used daily. 2 notebooks here, both amd based, no issues.

bottom line, each has their own experience with either of the 3( nvidia, intel and amd) i have 2 X99 based comps, one i cant use the newest NIC drivers has it has issues, the other one same but with SATA drivers. even my 1060 had issues a while back, but newer drivers fixed that.

none of the 3 are perfect for drivers.