[SOLVED] AMD Radeon Settings Driver Version Bug

alannm37

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
So I am currently running version 19.1.1 of AMD Radeon Settings. My graphics card is an MSI R9 290. If you take a look at the screenshot image below, my "New Recommended" driver version is the same driver version I have installed, that surely is a bug? No matter how many times I reinstall the driver it is recommending I install the same version I have. I have no yet tried to update to 19.2.2, would that be the best option to do?

The reason why I would be scared to update is because 19.2.1 would not work at all, my computer would constantly crash, giving off a buzzing sound, and then once restarted it says "Default Radeon Wattman settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure". I have tried so many fixes for this and nothing has helped.

Any help or suggested plans of action in relation to Radeon Settings suggesting I install the same version I already have, or taking a chance on upgrading to 19.2.2, is greatly appreciated.

OPP6HHJ.png

alannm37

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
That is just the apps way of letting you know that an optional update is available, but not necessary. If all is well now, don't change.

you are correct it is a bug that i was dealing with as well it has been fixed as of 19.2.2

I can update and say that 19.2.2 no longer has the version bug. Although the Wattman crash error has happened 2 times in the past 3 hours. Is there any way of preventing the Wattman crash happening? I do not have any overclock applied, everything in Wattman is set to default.

alannm37

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
What are the specs for the rest of your system? Is Windows and all of your major drivers (aside from video) up to date (chipset in particular, in this case)?

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo) Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Dell 0GY6Y8 LGA 1155 Micro-ATX
Memory: Ramaxel 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1333MHz
Storage: 120GB SSD
Video Card: MSI R9 290
Case: Dell Optiplex 7010
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider 600W

I am thinking of doing a fresh install of Windows at the moment. Just to make sure everything is good. I was even thinking of Windows 7?

alannm37

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
What about the previous question regarding updates and drivers?

I was just thinking if I did a clean install of Windows, got all updates and then reinstalled everything again that it would fix the Wattman crashing? That is my main concern at the moment, I have tried all Wattman fixes out there and nothing has fixed the problem. I could try underclocking but I would rather not.

alannm37

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Sure, a clean install would clean up things. Really up to you. I would recommend checking for driver updates first, before going down that path.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

This tool can assist with updating the Intel devices on your system, including the chipset.

I've ran both Intel Driver & Support Assistant and Dell SupportAssist applications and both show everything is up to date. Here is a rundown of the Intel Driver & Support Assistant results - http://elated-golick-7822bc.netlify.com/

Since everything is up to date, I will do a bit of gaming for a while and see if I experience any crash. I will report back here by tonight GMT time.