Question AMD Radeon Software is making my CPU really hot when laptop is idle. Please help

neo4evr

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Hi,
I have an HP Omen 15 laptop with AMD Ryzen 5800H and RTX 3060 GPU (32 GB RAM)
Sometimes, randomly, AMD Radeon Software will consume really high power with no significant CPU or GPU use, and when the computer is totally idle.
Here is a screenshot of the same: https://snipboard.io/koG6md.jpg
As you can see, the power consumption is really high and temperatures reach over 92 degrees even when the laptop is idle.
This is not a new problem. I have been facing this exact issue since the very first Windows installation on this laptop. After that, I had uninstalled and reinstalled not only Windows but also AMD Radeon Software and GPU drivers multiple times over and over again. I even used DDU from Guru3D for clean driver reinstallation.
Nothing has helped so far. This problem happens randomly many times, every day at least once.
It does not happen when I install AMD Adrenaline edition drivers. However, the HP driver of AMD Radeon is causing this problem.

AMD Adrenaline Edition drivers:
After I found these problems, I used DDU to remove every AMD driver and install (with factory reset) the AMD Adrenaline Edition drivers for Ryzen 5800H and its GPU.
However, this AMD Adrenaline Edition driver is making a strange problem in some games, not all.
When I am using the volume UP or DOWN keys, and the volume overlay displays in the game, then there are some graphical glitches being displayed when I press the buttons. These graphic artefacts instantaneously appear and disappears.
This only happens when vertical synchronization is off or disabled. When vertical sync is ON, then the graphic artefacts are not shown.

Please help me with how to fix this?
Does anyone face this same problem on their laptop?

Do you want me to show you the same screenshots, and terrible thermal management from MY Omen 15? Or the other five on my bench that I have no idea what I'm going to do with because they throttle so bad they are practically worthless?

It's horrible engineering, and actually not even that. It's horrible "we can just let it slide and see how many units we can sell" from HP if we are being honest. And these that I am referencing are from like three generations. It's not one specific architecture. It's THIS specific HP series that just, always seems to lack in cooling capability and things seem to always just either throttle or permanently degrade.

How long have you actually had this laptop, what are you actually running or trying to run on it, specifically and some screencaps of sensor readings while under a load would probably not hurt either.

neo4evr

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Do you want me to show you the same screenshots, and terrible thermal management from MY Omen 15? Or the other five on my bench that I have no idea what I'm going to do with because they throttle so bad they are practically worthless?

It's horrible engineering, and actually not even that. It's horrible "we can just let it slide and see how many units we can sell" from HP if we are being honest. And these that I am referencing are from like three generations. It's not one specific architecture. It's THIS specific HP series that just, always seems to lack in cooling capability and things seem to always just either throttle or permanently degrade.

How long have you actually had this laptop, what are you actually running or trying to run on it, specifically and some screencaps of sensor readings while under a load would probably not hurt either.
I just bought it a couple of months earlier. It is a new laptop.

The original HP drivers malfunction quite often on my laptop, especially the video drivers, and that is why I installed Nvidia drivers using GeForce experience, not from HP support. I also had to disable virtualization services on this laptop because otherwise, it was giving BSOD when core isolation services in Windows were turned on. So basically, I relied on non-HP drivers and had to disable some services from BIOS because although HP claims to support them in BIOS, they don't work in the real scenario.

My laptop is not overheating in general. But the AMD Radeon Software and its driver is randomly consuming very high power (as per my screenshot) without any load on either the CPU or GPU. In turn, the CPU is overheating, crossing 95 degrees celsius when there is no load on the system. The whole laptop is idle when this overheating is occurring.

So yesterday, I also completely removed HP's AMD Radeon drivers and installed AMD Adrenaline drivers instead, directly from AMD support.

The overheating problems are gone, but now, if I keep vertical sync disabled in a game, then the game shows strange graphic artefacts when I press the volume up or down keys (when the Windows volume overlay displays in the top-left corner). It is instantaneous. The graphic artefacts show only when I press the key, and then gone.

This problem doesn't happen when vertical sync is enabled. I do not want to enable vsync because my laptop display already supports FreeSync. So won't it be a bad idea to enable Vsync when FreeSync is also enabled?

I really do not know what is happening. Do you have any idea about this and how to fix it?