AMD Radeon VII Supply Will Be Extremely Limited - Reports

This is not the first time AMD has launched a product with limited quantities. Companies do it to meet a launch schedule as a missed launch can cause more harm than paper launching the product.

According to the report the incident should not have affected their 7nm products. I would guess this is a more limited run of MI50s for consumers that either did not sell or didn't make the cut (they didn't qualify for professional level work). I don't think they are have a line fabbing these only for this purpose.

mateau

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
"AMD Radeon VII Supply Will Be Extremely Limited - Reports"

SHOULD READ

AMD Radeon VII Supply Will Be Extremely Limited - RUMOURS"

OR A MORE HONEST HEADLINE

AMD Radeon VII Supply Will Be Extremely Limited - CLICKBAIT

Didn't Dr. Su personally dispel this rumour?

Or is it just a slow news day?

mateau

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
So what. Why does AMD want to clog the channel with 1000's of Radeon 7 cards if they are releasing NAVI in a few months?

This is a great play by AMD. It forces nVidia to respond by either binning or clocking up existing RTX GPU's. Then NAVI gets released and nVidia has to resond again to a new generation of 7nm silicon.

nVidia has enough of a problem with too much in the channel already. This forces nVidia to dump more into their own channel.

AMD is also selling Radeon 7 on their website, likely to keep resellers from price gouging. And again to keep the channel volumes low.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
@mateau last I saw Radeon 7 is expected to perform roughly on par with a 2080, cost about the same as a 2080, and probably draw a bit more power than a 2080. How exactly is this going to put any pressure on Nvidia to respond? And if availability is poor, the VII poses even less competition to RTX cards.

I thought the latest rumours on Navi was that it isn't even going to be targeting the high end (at least to begin with), so it might not even be relevant to this discussion.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Wait now suddenly it's OMG they might not have enough of them at launch time to have a good cry about it? I thought the majority of people were boarder line making remarks like the card is a failure and no one will buy it because it's not a Titan for Vega 64 price thus no one would buy it over the GreedForce way it's meant to get paid.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Of course it will be in short supply, by design. AMD never had any intention of selling a lot of these. They aren't making any money on them. The product as a whole is so bad, that people within AMD thought it wasn't even a viable product. Lucky for AMD, no one wants the card, so no one is going to care that AMD didn't produce a lot of them.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Based on AMD staunchly claiming Navi in 2019 is going to target the midrange, the Radeon VII will be the fastest "gaming" card AMD releases this year. RTX 2080 is not a mid range card. Navi will have vastly superior price/performance ratio, but will not in any way be competing with Radeon VII.

We should be happy AMD is releasing the Radeon VII at all. Statements that came out of AMD were that the 7nm Vega cards weren't going to be gaming oriented at all... well Lisa Su didn't say that, but others in the company did. Also given the fact that a possible Navi delay hit days before CES, AMD was in damage control mode and needed something to launch. They had some extra cards sitting around, and Radeon VII was born, purely out of necessity. So, they are launching with the small stockpile of cards they have, and starting up production again if they sell well... so don't expect a lot of cards to hit the market, ever. They will produce what they think will sell, and that is it. AMD probably isn't making a whole lot of money on these... heck with 16 GB of HBM2 they probably aren't making ANY money, but they are recouping a loss they would have eaten had they not decided to sell these cards at all.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
What AMD really did is take a page from Nvidia's classic Titan playbook - take a cloud/server GPU and sell it to consumers. That chip looks a lot like the V100 that became the Titan V - even down to the 4-stacks of HBM2 and the massive (native) fp64 performance. Just no Tensor cores.

Not many people know this, because it wasn't a very popular card, but Titan V went out of stock, shortly after its introduction. It remained in short supply for a good 4-5 months afterwards, IIRC. The reason I know this is that my team @ work bought one for deep learning. Between the time we requested budget approval and when it actually came through, the card had been in and out of stock, several times.