[SOLVED] AMD-RAID on Linux: rcraid. Is it working with NVME disk?

Mar 17, 2020
Hello to all.
I've a new X570-based system with 2*1TB NVME SSD configured in BIOS as an AMD-RAID (zero).
I successfully installed Windows on it providing the RAID drivers at setup time.

My plan would be install Linux (Mint) alongside Windows on the same system: using the Mint live USB i cannot see any Raid array but only two separate NVME disks.
I tried to google for my problem and found this URL: thopiekar/rcraid-dkms: AMD RAIDXpert driver as DKMS package where a very kind programmer created a PPA for Linux with drivers by AMD, modified to work on younger chipset and kernels.

I installed these drivers by PPA into the live Mint but, even if the module is installed and loaded correctly, I still cannot see any AMD-RAID device :(

The situation can be easily summarized in this image.

Nobody was able to made it working?
Thank you.

The obvious question is - why? Do you think RAID 0 will give you that massive boost you expect compared to non-RAID drive?

I've been in that business quite a while to have one simple rule of the thumb: Never install OS on a drive needing additional drivers. Learnt that from AHA1542 times...

Mar 17, 2020
Thanks for suggestions.
The aim is to get the maximum performance obviously... regardless the real benefit... and yes, I want to dual boot from that array. I did it in my past systems with success.
I read the raid manual that the NVME raid is not supported by the mentioned kernel module (just SATA raid seems working) so Linux will run on a VM until a kernel module will be available.

TRENDING THREADS