AMD Raven Ridge Gaming Performance Cheat Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember playing wow in college on my Asus EEE an 8 inch netbook with a 900 MHz Intel Celeron M processor at like 15 fps @ 800x600, overclocked of course.

Would have been nice to have this back then.

On the plus side, the EEE did fit into my pocket.

mr_taitai

Prominent
Feb 12, 2018
Nice to compare platforms, but why no platform power consumption graphs? would be interesting to see how many Watt if an apu without discrete would use compared to the processors with the 1030 GT

Co BIY

Splendid
If someone could put out B350 and H270/H370 boards that could use DDR3. I think they could clean up. Whether that's possible memory controller is something I am not qualified to speak to.

Ram costs are out of alignment with processors and motherboards while DDR3 memory speed was not really holding back performance.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would like to see a few tests done to show how the raven ridge processors perform against various discreet (low end) graphics cards. At what point do the add in graphics card start to show a performance increase?

For instance, would a similarly clocked, non APU ryzen with an older ATI 7750 out perform the Raven ridge processors? How about an R-390?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'd like that as well. what exactly is the equivalent discrete gpu for the igp?

i could scan some benchmarks and such but some new data would be nice. would make how a specific cpu/gpu combo compares to the apu in terms of price/performance. what do i get if i spend an extra $30/50/75 for say an i3 and a 1050 or something like that.

just a thought. nice summary article anyway :D

Co BIY

Splendid
Until Intel releases the the H370, B360 and H310 chipsets the platform cost for Intel Coffee Lake processors needs to include the Z370 chipset premium.

Right now it's like paying a First Class surcharge when you bought a Coach seat.

larkspur

Distinguished

Just read some 2400g and 2200g reviews. Raven Ridge graphics is very similar to RX 550 and GT 1030. Anything above those GPUs will beat Raven Ridge. Anything below gets beaten by Raven Ridge (including a radeon 7750). GPU Hierarchy chart: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

The CPU-side performance of Raven Ridge is very similar to current Ryzen CPUs with the same core/thread counts and clocks. There are reviews all over the web (including on Tom's) that demonstrate this.

larkspur

Distinguished

The integrated memory controller on all Ryzen CPUs does not support DDR3 - they simply didn't design it to include DDR3 support. And on these new powerful Raven Ridge APUs, memory frequency makes a huge difference in graphics performance. Latency might also make a slight difference but the jury is still out on that: https://www.techspot.com/review/1574-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-and-ryzen-3-2200g/page8.html

logainofhades

Titan

I would love to see some current WoW results for these chips.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

that would make sense as to why they paired the other cpu's with a 1030 then :)

they clearly already knew the answer to the question. with that in mind i guess should not be too hard to figure out what cpu/gpu combos make sense in the price/performance ratio

That 2200g is the best for people broke people right now. Matched with a B350 and 8GB DDR3 ram, some of which can overclock to 2933, it's a cheap build under $400. Then upgrade to a gtx1050ti when the prices go down.

I think, like others have pointed out, the cost of the cheapest and most expensive boards for each CPU/APU and RAM options is necessary. For all the great showing the APUs give, they do need good RAM to work to their fullest, so it's a bit unfair to imply that a Pentium needs the same RAM to perform to those levels, which is not really true. And since Intel hasn't released the cheap boards for the lower end CPUs of the 8xxx series, it's a bit unfair to compare them without including them.

Other than that, thanks a lot for the summary tables.

Cheers!

nate1492

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2012
We need to see the cost of a G4560+Motherboard+1030+ 2400 Ram versus Raven Ridge 2200g+Motherboard+ 3200 Ram before we can really use Tom's results.

PCPer showed us just how bad Raven Ridge APU fairs with value Ram.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Ryzen-5-2400G-Memory-Speed-Performance-Analysis

It's the difference in buying the R3 2200g versus the R5 2400g, RAM and Ryzen are basically super connected.

The cost difference in 8GB of 2400 versus 3200 is £59 versus £102 (Maybe even worse).

So that extra £40 quid no being factored into the results really skews the value proposition.

Not to mention the motherboard used is only £10 cheaper than the Z370 board entry price.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
It seems that reviews with B370 MBs allowed ~1600 on the iGPU of both APUs. (ie. Hardware Unboxed)
Review performance with early BIOS were not as good.
Reviews where individual sliders/settings were set showed better game play and FPS.
It is disappointing that many review conclusions did not allow for driver/BIOS updates as if no improvements would be had.
Would Freesync make any difference?
Would liquid metal improve iGPU OC temps?
I would like to see if a CM 212 heatsink would work well.
Here is a review 2200G OC 3.9 1.6 with a DeepCool Gammaxx 200T heat sink $20 8 GB 3000 mem
https://www.techspot.com/article/1579-overclocking-guide-ryzen-3-2200g/

Not sure how mem prices are AMD's fault.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I guess it depends on your standards. I began using the PC for gaming more last year, after doing nearly everything on consoles for many years. I was quite surprised how well many items ran on a Core i5 and IGA. They generally weren't pushing the cutting edge of graphical splendor but there were countless PC only titles for me to catch up on that are now very cheap and run fine on a cheap machine. Even a very recent release like Cuphead was surprisingly undemanding. Raven Ridge upping the ante on what a cheap system can deliver is all for the good.

logainofhades

Titan

Only one kit of ram on PCPP is showing that low £59, and that price is actually wrong. That puts the cheapest 2400 at nearly £80. Bang for the buck, 3000 ram is probably the way to go. You can get Team vulcan 3000 for around £83.

Status
Not open for further replies.