Sulu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I only joined couple of days ago and from what i can see big majority of u people are using amd procs. I dont like intel but I have their proc e8400 only because amd didnt have anything better at the time :( My old comp has burton 2500+ that worked on 1800Mhz, but when i changed cooler it mysteriously overclocked to 1900Mhz, in bios and win, cpuz + other programs now reads burton 2600+ I men WTF. I used it without any problem for about a year before i sold it. Does anyone have any idea??

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
majority people on this site use intel

all the crazy indepents use amd even thought are slower - its like motorcycles.

you want a fast bike you get a jap product but you will not find those at the VFW!

you want cool car a vette is the best and at 600hp for $120k it has few matches but peeps still spend $500k for slower ferrais

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
E8400 can be run at 4ghz-4.6ghz with E0 and no amd cpu can match it in gaming

an older E8400 runs 3.8ghz with no problems and only the newest amd cpu's can match it!

I dont like intel

i drive GM but toyata makes good cars! i bought my mom a coralla
again if you got bikes you need that can of oil with your harley -
snowmobiles - yamaha is best - i can not tell you how many boken down artic cats you see but peeps lov them! (better to be called a yamadog then to have to walk you kids 50 miles in 20 below)

if you drive a toyata stick with intel or you got a jap bike!

of you got a chrysler mini ban, dodge truck or new american branded motor bike design for vibration not speed then amd is right up your alley!

my wife on third mini ban (chrysler) each one has had more problems then all the GM cars i have owned in 20 years

salem80

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
are you sure from that dragonsprayer...read more
this is Phenom IIX3 720 VS E8400 on 3DMark06 Test
http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/cpu/amd/X3_720_X4_810/p5.asp
Phenom IIX3 720 Beat Core i7 in Low resolution Gaming (E8400 out the rang )
http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-phenom-ii-x4-810-and-x3-720be-review-am3/24
here is Phenom II X3 720 BE that sell for 136$ doing great job and get close to 190$ Q6600 ?
x.264 movie encoding
http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-phenom-ii-x4-810-and-x3-720be-review-am3/16
Cinebench R10
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/898/9/
and about the Over Clocking the Phenom II X3 720 BE get to 4.3Ghz on Air
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/11456/phenom_ii_x3_720_be_taken_to_4_3ghz_on_air/

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Thats odd, nothing wrong with a free upgrade , but it could be indicative of bios issues , id definitely keep an eye out for any instabilities. If there are none that pop up id say just go with it.
It wouldnt hurt to stress test things a bit and see if anything gets exposed. get some software to monitor your psu voltages , i wouldnt reccomend tweaking the bios without some reading , in order to test oc settings to see if the chip itself could be failing.
keep in mind that the chip is old and has passed a bit of current through it , and over time it does cause migration of circuit metals.

Who knows, it could have something to do with your Board, but that's cool. Anyway alot of gamers use AMD because it offered the best value for what they could afford at the time. Alot of people got a 5400 Brisbane BE when it came free with the Antec 300 for example. Now with the Phenom II, AMDs are a good choice beyond the low end and have a rather low platform cost. Many gamers who keep their rigs longer may have picked up an AM2+ AMD when the P4 was still around or when the original Core 2s came out and greatly lowed the cost of higher end AMDs.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

920 i7 can be clocked to 4.3ghz on air - this is underclocked

x3 720 is near its maximum clock this is factory overclocked

same old game - no different then the fx-60 from may of 05 that barely made 3ghz - same cpu repackaged over and over 6000+ 6400+

still could not pass 3.2ghz

factory settings are nothing and real life and real pc's are everything!

Wow. This went from the OPs problem to a Phenom II vs Intel. I mean WTF. We could argue anything. Hell I can easily state that 3DMark 06 is a useless test since the more cores the better a CPU does when in reality most games don't use more than 2 cores. Or that the COD4 test was not a clock per clock test but instead a as is test making it kinda useless.

Either way this kinda thread derailing needs to stop.

As for the OP, its possible that the BIOS got changed somehow. If it runs fine and at a good temp I say keep the extra 100MHz. If not just go into the BIOS and set the CPU to its spec. Thats the one thing I hated about those old AMD CPUs. I had a friend who had one and the BIOS would see it as a 700MHz CPU and we had to set it to its spec. And even then it wouldn't do it without hassle.

randomizer

Champion
Sounds like a funky BIOS to me. It's not likely a "problem." It's possible that the BIOS version in use didn't completely support that chip too.

Absolutely. It happens far too often, and it's happening closer and closer to the OP. Soon we'll have a situation where the OP itself will be off-topic.

dragonsprayer, do you realise that we're talking about a Barton here, not a competitor to the E8400? You gonna start saying people shouldn't have owned Durons because i7 is faster? Please take yourself and your giant advertisement of a sig out of people's threads so that they can get the answers they're after.

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007

Do you care to explain why so many people gave you thumbs down in this thread?

I'm not crazy, I want to save money.

The 920 i7 still costs more then Phenom II

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_cpu.asp?name=CPUs

Core i7 920 2.66 Ghz - $280
Phenom II x4 920 3.Ghz - $224

There's a 56 dollar savings in AMDs favor.

AMD gives you more bang for your buck.

As for overclocking? No one needs to overclock a Phenom or a Core i7. There isn't any software on the market yet that pushes those chips beyond their capabilities...... it's better to save your money then waste it. And if you ever want to overclock a Phenom II, its nice to know the chip that saves you money can perform.

Both chips will be replaced soon with the next generation any way. Why waste money?

:D

^I will explain why I gave YOU a thumbs down. Because you are still off topic.

Why do you insist on spewing the same crap consitently? You just wasted more space without adding ANYTHING to the OP.

If I was a admin I would bring down the BAN hammer on you and a few others here.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
They have nothing to contribute but still have a need for attention.

OP - I run my Barton at 2.0 for so long I forgot what it was. The BIOS always reported "Unknown AMD proc". While it was on my desk I ran at 2.2. When I moved that box to server status I usually drop them back to stock but in this case I didn't want to crack the TIM so I just dropped it to 2.0. When I u/g'd from the Opty I got a new tube of AS5 and said what the heck because the Opty is the front line server now anyway. Low and Behold, a Barton 2500+ that's been running at least 2.0 for 5 years+.