AMD Releases Five Carrizo Mobile APUs, Cuts Price On Desktop Kaveri

Status
Not open for further replies.

SylentVyper

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Finally, a price that make APUs actually worth it for value-oriented buyers. Before, it was cheaper and better to get a 760k with a $90-$100 GPU, but at $127, the 7850k is actually worth it.

Inquiring minds would be interested in knowing what AMD did with all that die real estate saved with the Excavator dense libraries on Carrizo (and, Carrizo-L with the Puma cores).

R5 mobility Radeons have 5CUs ... the low-watt Temash/Kabini/Beema/Mullins APUs have 2CUs. Safe to say (did I just 'whammy' myself? :)) we'll see a major bump in graphics performance -- thumping the Atom 'Trails' and going toe-to-toe with the Haswell/Broadwell ULVs ...

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
AMD has a very confusing line up, they seriously need to redo their naming.

FX is top of the line, but after that you have Athlon and Sempron as CPUs and APUs and Phenom II and Athlon II as CPUs alone, plus you have A series APUs.

the socs in the list seem to be carrizo-L apus powered by puma+ cores (likely updated jaguar cores with turbo core, dual channel memory controller and faster memory support).

excavator powered carrizo (non-L) apus will have TDP up to 35w and FX 8xxxP type model numbers.

We have a lot of chatter coming from AMD now. I hope they realize this could be it. If they've cried wolf, I'd say they're done. If they really have produced something decent, then I say good for them, hopefully it means Engineering has Marketing on a short leash.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I actually have few current APUs in my servers at home and thanks to their low TDP I can leave them running 24/7 without making much of a dent in my power bill. Very efficient CPU (APU) setup. Glad to see newer models coming out.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
We have a lot of chatter coming from AMD now. I hope they realize this could be it. If they've cried wolf, I'd say they're done. If they really have produced something decent, then I say good for them, hopefully it means Engineering has Marketing on a short leash.

Nah its Zen coming out next year that will make or break them. If that cant compete with intel then they are screwed

Nah its Zen coming out next year that will make or break them. If that cant compete with intel then they are screwed

Not really ... unless the Zen arch 'pooches' the APU advances made from Llano to Kaveri, along with the "Cat Core' SOC APUs, including the new Carrizo with Excavator dense libraries.

The desktop PC is dying a slow death. Mobile/handheld will continue to expand at the expense of desktop.

AMD (rightfully) pivoted -- but it's very difficult when Chipzilla subsidizes the low-watt mobility side to the tune of billions of dollars each year. I smell an anti-trust stink on the horizon if this continues ...

AMD will sink or swim on the ARM ISA on the enterprise side.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008

Not really ... unless the Zen arch 'pooches' the APU advances made from Llano to Kaveri, along with the "Cat Core' SOC APUs, including the new Carrizo with Excavator dense libraries.

The desktop PC is dying a slow death. Mobile/handheld will continue to expand at the expense of desktop.

AMD (rightfully) pivoted -- but it's very difficult when Chipzilla subsidizes the low-watt mobility side to the tune of billions of dollars each year. I smell an anti-trust stink on the horizon if this continues ...

AMD will sink or swim on the ARM ISA on the enterprise side.

AMD will sink or swim on the GPU and CPU side. To much competition to do anything meaningful in Servers. The Market is very saturated, and if you dont think Intel and IBM can cut power down to ARM levels in the next 3 years, your crazy.

Their ARM is cool and all, and will probably sell ok to a few data centers, but it's totally unproven that ARM cores are wanted in the enterprise sector.. it's really a ARM LLC pipedream.

ARM is great for low-demand file and print services. Unfortunately, too many people are focusing on moving everything into the vapor, with companies like Citrix providing complete remote access "solutions." I don't think ARM can compete there yet, not on any significant scale. Of course, they might fit into the dumb terminals being used, but I can't help but think that whole model will collapse at some point, just as mainframes with terminals hung off them began to die in the 80's and 90's.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Wow AMD's Kabini platform has already been scaled up to 2.5 GHz with its power usage nearly cut in half! LOL they are close to having their AM1 cpu's catch up to their archaic Piledriver CPU's!

Zen cannot come soon enough!

InvalidError

Titan

There is not much of a case for anti-trust there when Intel is still failing to gain a significant market share in the mobile area despite massive cash injections. If Intel fails to break into that market despite their financing and engineering incentives, AMD's chances of creating a significant market are likely very poor and would be even worse without Intel breaking ground.

At this point in time, mobile x86 is still a gamble.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

I thought they built Zen from the ground up to have higher IPC and be more power efficient? so yeah it should dramatically help their APUs which lets face it they cannot compete with Intels mobile chips. Sure the graphics is far better but they aren't quite good enough for gaming and Intels graphics is powerful enough for any media content you wish to play so they either need a boost in graphics where you can game at 1080p or at least catch intel up when it comes to performance per watt. Basically they need a big selling point and they just dont have one right now.

As for the server side, that market is a good market t get into but it is extremely competitive and will only get more so, they will still need their CPU/GPU business for a good few years and to do that they need a win and zen hopefully will be that win

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
A8-7600 for $85. The value is unreal. One merely needs to wait for a $10 promo code on newegg and there is a very real potential for cheap casual gaming.

I'm waiting for the day that I see a shell shocker with a complete system with an a8-7600 in it for ~$200.

Status
Not open for further replies.