AMD Releases New Windows 10 x64 Ryzen Chipset Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
The drawback of disabling core parking if you're not overclocking, is that you effectively disable XFR, so that's something to keep in mind.

Core parking is different from letting Windows manage the p-states, which is what introduces most of the delay.

pentiuman

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
@ Jimmig - I'm a long time reader, long time PC user, but new account and apparently hit the neg. button on your comment. Sorry. Tried to undo too, w/out luck.

- Can anyone comment on Jimmig's comment to this article re: core parking, and also p-states? At this very moment, I'm building a Ryzen 1600X sys for my son, so I will be downloading the newest chipset shortly. I likely won't OC this system, as my son lives out of state and wouldn't know what to do if the settings needed fixing. Also - Ryzen is so new, that even if I was going to OC, I first want to wait and verify the system is stable before revving it up. But if disabling core parking disables XFR, I'll have to get more research. TIA

Some are saying since AGESA 1.0.0.4a firmware update that comes with the latest BIOS from most vendors XFR works with all power plans i.e. core parking doesn't effect XFR anymore. I cant confirm it though.

Pentiuman,
AMD's new power profile is mean to get the MOST out of your CPU right now which should really answer your question; WHY would AMD do that if it gave worse performance?

Not sure WHY some think it disables Turbo... I have an Intel CPU and my Turbo is not affected doing something similar (just changing Power Options CPU minimum to closer to 100%).
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/04/if-youve-got-a-ryzen-cpu-amd-has-a-power-plan-for-you/

"At the end of the day: if you have a Ryzen desktop or you're buying a Ryzen CPU, use the High Performance plan."

THAT may have been a previous power plan, so the new one (download link in article) is either the same or better.

If in DOUBT just use Task Manager to monitor the CPU usage and see if testing under LOAD (Prime95, convert video etc) has the CPU frequency where you would expect (i.e. 4.0GHz).

*Don't get too hung up on Ryzen, but DO check for UEFI/BIOS updates periodically. Note that applying those probably puts your settings (i.e. overclock etc) back to default but the updates should help fix memory, overclock and various chipset issues.

AkuBerhala

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017

I've been using the R5 1500X since launch day with AGESA 1.0.0.4a and can confirm that XFR is working on all power profiles.

genz

Distinguished
@Saga Lout, I believe JimmiG's post is worthy of reporting. Nothing there as been stated as opinion and you would not take that statement from someone claiming things about Intel technologies that simply aren't true, especially when he has several posts on Reddit about exactly the same thing and has been shot down with next to no discourse. If people started stating as fact that Kaby Lake didn't turbo because their home systems lacked the cooling to get turbo clocks you would delete those posts.

@JimmiG This update does not affect core parking or XFR in any way. Core Parking never disabled XFR, just the CPU was clocking up and down so quickly compared to Intel CPUs that most systems didn't spot it. You "discovered" this 8 days ago on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/641hu3/amds_ryzen_balanced_profile_still_messes_with/

All I see is your thermal solution being limiting enough to kick the CPU out of XFR when 11 cores aren't sleeping.

That is the only difference in the power plan from a core parking perspective would be Windows avoiding cores that are parked in favor of cores that are not at 100% but loaded. Core parking is very important for laptops because that creates lower power draw, but you are recommended not to use it on gaming systems as it's equivalent to using deep sleep/hibernate on half the CPU and takes latency and heat to unpark cores. In a 12 core system your games will stutter quite badly as cores are unparked, and actually generate heat as half the job of a CCX to CCX transfer is done to all cores being unparked, stressing the IFab if 4+ cores are unparked at once but in a single threaded game that 1 or 2 cores may be able to XFR higher/longer (if your CPU is thermally limited) with core parking enabled because the other cores will be generating less heat (not much, but there's 11 of them). Funnily enough, the reason you could see XFR with core parking on is that Core Parking needs Windows input to know when to sleep, and Windows input slows down the entire power management system. This is why AMD still does not recommend it.

It has been confirmed multiple times that if Core Parking +or XFR is not disabled in BIOS they are always working. Funnily enough, by you and the people of Reddit, and yet you're obviously unhappy with the result because you have to come here and say the very opposite days later.

You started with this last month: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/641hu3/amds_ryzen_balanced_profile_still_messes_with/
Then this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/663ky3/ryzen_1800x_xfr_timespy_core_parking_on_vs_off/

You published these two slides as evidence:

http://i.imgur.com/xwxBfkx.png <--- CP Disabled, light aqua middle line is basically flat through first two tests but as a result work is distributed more evenly between cores and thus less XFR occurs. Remember without core parking latency all extra Windows tasks and threads will operate on other cores.
http://i.imgur.com/TwxTWw3.png <---- CP Enabled, light aqua middle line is clearly throttling as is choppy as if CPU is getting much hotter... Your temps are almost 10C higher on average so XFR will obviously not work as well.

Curiously enough the final CPU test on both still shows sudden thermal spikes when all 12 cores are in use for extended periods of time. This makes me HIGHLY suspicious of your data. 12 cores don't shoot up 10 degrees in a second or two after running the same workload for 20 seconds prior. Are you turning your CPU fan on and off? Is your water pump on your liquid cooler connected to your CPU fan socket? (It should be connected to a case fan port that is permanently at max, or a fan controller).

It's clear to see that your XFR was suffering down to thermals the second time around, there are clear spikes in your middle graph on the Core Parking Enabled example as your CPU XRF clocks until around 70C then disables XFR as it gets hot. Get a better cooling solution then test again. AMD Wraith etc are great, but they are still OEM coolers made to be "good" not "Overclockable".

My comment is in the interest of common courtesy in the forum.

While we're here, I can assure you there is no bias in Tom's toward either major CPU manufacturer. There is, however, plenty of it in the hearts and minds of a lot of the posters who like to turn every thread into a flame war on the subject.

Personally, I started out with my first build on a Pentium IV but my current build uses AMD chips. I buy on price because I only need a basic office machine.

Fiqar_

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
"According to AMD, this release is primarily intended to make good on the company's promise to include the latest AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan in the chipset driver package"

I was a bit disappointed that older installments didn't have the balanced power plan to be honest.

Ross_30

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
" The plan also allows your AMD Ryzen processor to more quickly raise clock speeds by reducing the timers and thresholds for P-state transitions."

Probanly one of the first products I have seen that can achieve this. Great machine, this!

Kewlx25

Distinguished

Sounds like that issue may be fixed. Found this when I googled the subject

"XFR does seem to be functional both with parking enabled and disabled. Previously it seemed like it wasn't working at all with core parking disabled, but I guess 3DMark has a more granular measurement of clock speed."

Status
Not open for further replies.