AMD Releases Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2 Hotfix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as a note, AMD always released a "known issues" section with all of their driver releases. The author of this article makes it seem like this hotfix driver introduces all sorts of new issues when some of them have existed far before even crimson came out or from new games that have performance issue because the devs are lazy. I'm not saying AMD if fault free it just seems like the author is trying to paint AMD as the bad guy here when they are really releasing a driver dedicated to fixing issues.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

wasn't trying to paint a AMD in a bad light at all.
The driver page indicated that these were newly introduced issues, so I pointed them out.

Sublime1027

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
Love Crimson. Catalyst control center was super slow and had a terrible interface. Now it is a pleasure using it. Now AMD please for the love of everything gaming, make your Linux driver as good as Windows. Make Vulkan a priority since it is the future. I would drop windows in a heartbeat

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

wasn't trying to paint a AMD in a bad light at all.
The driver page indicated that these were newly introduced issues, so I pointed them out.
The driver doesn`t introduce these issues, they are just known issues, while on the green side they hide anything like this, to make a happy bubble around the user thinking there is nothing wrong with the drivers, they even recently made a game ready WHQL driver that was so bad they immediately pulled it out, at least AMD is sincere about their stuff.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"at least AMD is sincere about their stuff."

And yet, here we are nearly 4 months in without a working Fallout 4 CFX profile.

But thats ok, because they are 'sincere'.

Nevermind that people like myself may have spent $1000 for a product (crossfired 290x) that doesnt seem to be a high priority for the company to support.

G

Fallout 4 CFX profile works on my R9 390x setup since day one. Crimson 16.1 are great drivers and I have no problems playing anything. Haven't tried 16.2.

G

I did try Windows 10 with same CFX R9 390x setup and Crimson 16.1 and it was terrible experience but again i had terrible experience with Nvidia under Windows 10 as well. As soon as i got rid of Windows 10 garbage and went back to Windows 7, all the shit works and it works awesome. Having said that, if you really want good gaming experience stick with Windows 7.

Uri___Pisarev

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
I did try Windows 10 with same CFX R9 390x setup and Crimson 16.1 and it was terrible experience but again i had terrible experience with Nvidia under Windows 10 as well. As soon as i got rid of Windows 10 garbage and went back to Windows 7, all the shit works and it works awesome. Having said that, if you really want good gaming experience stick with Windows 7.

How do you people come up with this stuff. I have W10, have GTX960, there are no issue. Just open the game and 99.9% of the time it runs.

I have not run into any sort of an issue with W10 in months, and i had a preview version.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
My windows 10 gaming has been excellent. GTA V plays much better in win10 than 7 for me. FO4 plays great, zero problems, but im not running CF either. I did do a clean install of 10, not sure if that makes any difference.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Fallout 4 CFX profile works on my R9 390x setup since day one. Crimson 16.1 are great drivers and I have no problems playing anything. Haven't tried 16.2.

Granted I dont have a 390, but the drivers for my 290x should be the same since the 390 is a slightly improved/upclocked version of the 290 series. And I played FO4 from the day it unlocked on steam. CFX has not worked properly since launch. And there wasnt even a profile available until the 16.1.1 hotfix on Feb. 1st. Look at AMD's own driver page: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-16.1.1-Hotfix-Release-Notes.aspx

[An AMD Crossfire™ profile is available for Fallout 4]

At one time, late last year after launch, occasionally people reported decent results using the Crysis3 CFX profile for FO4, but it didnt really help me.

Then, at some point, AMD actively DISABLED CFX until the 16.1 hotfix at the driver level, so you simply could not even force enable the 2nd card if you tried, so there was at the very least a time where you could not have been playing with the 2nd card fully enabled. You may have thought it was working, but it actually wasnt, even if you forced AFR friendly or something along those lines. That is certainly not flawless.

The 16.1 Hotfix came along and like the next day, Bethesda pushed out their 1.3 update to FO4 which rendered CFX practically unusable again. I suppose thats not entirely AMD's fault, but if they kept in contact with Bethesda, they wouldve known the mandatory update was imminent.

Finally, even with the latest 16.2 Hotfix, performance remains awful for me with details cranked and CFX enabled. Disable CFX and performance improves remarkably.

Oh, and my Titan Blacks in my other box have worked great in SLI since the first driver release after FO4's launch. I didnt rag on AMD back then because FO4 does have some Gameworks stuff in it, so I expected problems for a little while with CFX, but its getting sad now that they still havent fixed the problem.

IntelDiesel

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

I bet you have an Nvidia product.

jtown82

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
Maybe I will buy AMD again when there graphics cards actually perform equal to same priced nvidias. until then ill just keep using my vodoo 3dfx! :p

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"I bet you have an Nvidia product."

Actually, if you bothered reading my post, it clearly states that I have both a Nvidia setup with SLI and a AMD setup with CFX.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Maybe I will buy AMD again when there graphics cards actually perform equal to same priced nvidias. until then ill just keep using my vodoo 3dfx! :p

They're generally quite price competitive. If you're going to rag on them for power efficiency that's fine.

Just wish they'd address the Mobility dual graphics problems many people have with Windows 10. There's hours and hours of my life I want back to discover it's an unfixable AMD driver issue.

I'm not saying everybody will have this, but if you have something like an HD4xxx and HD6xxx dual graphics setup in a laptop then forget it. MS Basic drivers are installed, but then AMD's drivers are applied via MS Updates which makes video unplayable and things generally sluggish.

Then I rolled back to W7, got told it was now "non Genuine" and my hidden backup failed to restore W7.

Yay!

IntelDiesel

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

My biggest thought is.. Who cares about power efficiency or wattage that much? Will the PSU draw so much more that the electric bill would change $15 a month?

I can understand it running hotter in your case though.

alextheblue

Distinguished

My biggest thought is.. Who cares about power efficiency or wattage that much? Will the PSU draw so much more that the electric bill would change $15 a month?

I can understand it running hotter in your case though.

I'm currently running a 4GB mild-OC 380 myself. I'm not saying it's as big of a deal as people make it out to be. In fact the majority of the time my PC is running, the GPU is idle or near-idle and uses very little power. Even when it IS running full tilt for a couple hours (gaming), the cost difference is negligible.

If it was a very compact case where temps were a big deal, then yeah absolutely, the only AMD card (on the current tired 28nm process) that I think really excels in terms of size, performance and heat output is the Nano. Even then, while the pricing is now more fair, it's still priced too high for me. I won't usually spend more than $200 myself - I have a full ATX case (small one though) and so heat isn't an issue.

So yeah, I agree with you. I was just saying that for the most part they are very price competitive. In many cases I am able to find a better value in an AMD card within my budget. If you're going to find something to pick on them for, power is the easy old line.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
How do you people come up with this stuff. I have W10, have GTX960, there are no issue. Just open the game and 99.9% of the time it runs.

I have not run into any sort of an issue with W10 in months, and i had a preview version.
I agree with @Uri___Pisarev. I've been running a 6670 with a E6750 since the previews came out and the only two issues I had were related to hibernation and an AMD driver not installing (but using the Windows 10 driver and still functioning fine,) which were fixed quite early in the preview builds.

Sublime1027

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
Love Crimson. Catalyst control center was super slow and had a terrible interface. Now it is a pleasure using it. Now AMD please for the love of everything gaming, make your Linux driver as good as Windows. Make Vulkan a priority since it is the future. I would drop windows in a heartbeat

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.