• Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

AMD Releases Spectre Microcode And Software Patches

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpe1701

Admirable
Mar 13, 2015
Coincidentally I just put together an half from spare parts and a g4560 I purchased for really cheap and noticed a big difference from the benchmarks in the reviews and my own. I used an app to shut off spectre/meltdown protections just to see if that was why my scores were so off and my cup-z single thread score went from 258 to 372. It made a huge difference. Much more responsive too.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
It is a massive difference as JPE1701 said, the press is covering up the massive performance hit in IO operations for Intel. In productivity the losses are up to 30%, but it's up to 50% for minimum framerates (all that matters, really) in games. Titles affected do heavy texture streaming. https://np.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/7obokl/performance_impact_of_windows_patch_and_bios/ds88idv/

I really hate to see what will happen once everything is patched. I'm not updating any hardware until 2019 when all Spectre variants are fixed in hardware by Intel & AMD. If I had to buy anything before then, I'd recommend the AMD stuff. Especially the 2400G, love that chip & no Meltdown worries with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS