News AMD Reportedly Embraces DDR5 and USB 4.0 For Next-Gen CPUs In 2022

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
Intel roadmaps show Sapphire Rapids with DDR5 and PCIE5 in 2021.
Several roadmap leaks of Tiger Lake show lpddr5 and PCIE4 support in 2020.

So, I'm curious about the subtitle ... "Staying one step ahead of Intel."

"Lagging one Step behind Intel" would be more accurate.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Knew AMD would be better at this thanks to the separate I/O die. Which should ease and speed up adoption of new standards.
We had external I/O chips for ages. What's old is new again, more or less. They figured out how to glue external I/O together to get near-integrated performance. Soon Intel is going to be doing the same thing with their active interposer, and AMD will probably switch to a similar setup too at some point.

hannibal

Distinguished
Consumer and enterprice stuff is different. Enterprice can take expensive ddr5. In normal customs market ddr5 would be considered too expensive!
Intel Also have had tendency of not caring the price too much so it may move to ddr5 earlier than amd, but in this market situation not so sure.
They did move ddr4 earlier than amd...

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

FYI LPDDR5 isn't the same as DDR5, and I'm not sure why you're touting Intel getting PCIE4 a year after AMD?

This is a great example of rabid fanboyism at its worst.

usiname

Prominent
BANNED
Feb 27, 2020
Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020

Well based on history, if it is anything like going from mature DDR3 to early DDR4, not a whole lot of gains to be had -> https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-fatal1ty-z170-gaming-k4-d3-ddr4-vs-ddr3,4431-2.html

Would be interesting to see what products and performance comes from AMD and Intel both.

We live in interesting times, from FP DRAM -> EDO DRAM -> SD DRAM -> the first DDR -> the failed RDRAM -> DDR2 -> DDR3 -> DDR4 -> ? - Whatever the future holds.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
More rabbid fanboyism right here. Intel has no 7 nm chips to this day and no PCIe 5.
I think it was a joke since we obviously don't have any 7nm Intel parts in the market.
Well based on history, if it is anything like going from mature DDR3 to early DDR4, not a whole lot of gains to be had
Sure, although you gain the advantage of having the platform to expand upon and can utilize the more mature standard down the line on the same system. Also the goals for the DDR5 standard were more well defined for double bandwidth of DDR4 as opposed to a slew of incremental changes.

As of 2017 there were functional DDR5 DIMMs to the standard, so we'll at least have a few years of standard maturity once the consumer space supports those on their next gen implementations.

TRENDING THREADS