AMD Reports 23% Revenue Growth and Issues Rosy 2019 Outlook, Stocks Jump

s1mon7

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018
Those are stellar results. I don't think anyone expected them to be THAT great. I'm happy to see this, and looking forward to seeing how they turn their profits into development money for amazing upcoming products.

Kaz_2_

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
Amd is only nvidia and intel competitors against two giants with very good results. Thing will get even better in 2019 as their performance uplift is hugh.

Spock_rhp

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012
I suspect the financial details presented herein are wrong. [they're internally inconsistent.] PLEASE consult the company's actual earnings release [online via their website I believe, or via the SEC] for the correct figures.

"AMD's diversified portfolio of both CPUs and GPUs has insulated it from such sharp drops, and it also noted that its 7nm Radeon Instinct GPUs are already enjoying brisk uptake."

And, of course, yesterday Nvidia backlash in revenue guidance affected AMD stock price because, once again, dumb investors are making the parallel that AMD GPU business = Nvidia GPU business.

Well, shorters got screwed today, which make it a good day.

Shorters always run the risk of losing money more so than other investor... especially when they operate under making a fast buck. Between shorters and other investors looking for and only caring about a quick buck...It surprising more businesses don't go under... but I guess that's because they, those that survive, know they can't cut too many.

Now, unless your credentials include being a financial analyst for investments, your statement of how shorters got screwed could be far from reality.

Market trends are typically similar between products. AMDs GPU business didn't benefit from the crypto crash just as nVidia did not. They still don't have a proper competitive line and wont until Navi launches at the earliest. Once they have that then their GPU business will probably help drive their stock up,.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

It's not really dumb. Nvidia cited the bust in crypto mining (and associated glut of graphics cards) and weaker sales in China when they lowered their guidance, both of which it is entirely reasonable to expect would affect AMD too. And they did: AMD did in fact fall short of revenue projections for Q4, and estimated that Q1 revenue will also be lower than analyst projections. But luckily there was enough other good news that the earnings call ended up being a net positive for the stock.

Because the China slow down and cryptomarkets bust was going to somehow help AMD? I'm not sure what you thought was positive to think 23% revenue growth is low, since nothing that went on in Q4 was optimistic. Hell the entire market lost every bit of earnings for the year in Q4.

Sep 20, 2018

Well Intel had another record, nVidia is still doing better. I expect AMD to start making more that nVidia because they sell CPU and GPU but it looks like they cant go past that 1.7 billion a quarter

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Navi will be very telling. If she can pull off the same magic with their GPU division as Zen did for their CPUs, that will secure her legacy.

So do I but we are talking 3rd possibly 4th quarter before that ramps up for AMD since Zen2 and navi will be out at that point.