AMD Reveals Its Reference Tablet Designs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibal

Distinguished
Interesting... Nice to see real products, because these have a chance of being fast enough and hopefully cheap enough. The active cooling is allso interesting feature for tablet. So this is more to people who only have money for one device that replases the laptop and tablet at the same time. Surface pro makes it allso, but 1000$ price will keep it for people who can easily afford to have both and best of the both worlds.

twelve25

Distinguished
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... it deserves something better than Win[H]8...[/citation]

Like what? Surely the quad core and Radeon 7000 GPU deserve better software than Android apps.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
um... torchlight 2 is direct x 9c only... unless a recent patch put 11 into it...

that said, the frame rate on the tablet looks like hell, i can see the slow down... ill take a lower resolution for 30+fps...

slomo4sho

Distinguished
[citation][nom]twelve25[/nom]Like what? Surely the quad core and Radeon 7000 GPU deserve better software than Android apps.[/citation]

Android isn't the only viable linux based platform out there...

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I wonder if it allows us to install our own OS like a real computer. I got Win7 Ent which I would be happy to install myself if given the opportunity.

G

[citation][nom]chicofehr[/nom]I wonder if it allows us to install our own OS like a real computer. I got Win7 Ent which I would be happy to install myself if given the opportunity.[/citation]
I would appreciate that soooo much. I'd love to be able to put an SSD in there and install my distro of choice.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
its the only other viable MAINSTREAM operating system, so for most of the world, yes it is. When people walk into a store to buy a tablet, they buy an ipad, an android tablet, or maybe 1 in a hundred buy a windows one. Adding some ubuntu tablet or something to the mix will mean nobody buys that except tech people.

you must remember, we are a minority. Companies exist to make money, not to cater to minority demands.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]chicofehr[/nom]I wonder if it allows us to install our own OS like a real computer. I got Win7 Ent which I would be happy to install myself if given the opportunity.[/citation]What PC have you not been able to install an OS of your choice into? As long as there is a useable input method (boot from PXE, usb, HDD, etc...) then you can reinstall the OS of your choice for the architecture(s) your system supports. (x86, x64, IA64, etc...)

On topic, I am glad to see AMD releasing some real products and would love to try out Turbo Dock. fortunately they don't seem to have missed any windows 8 boat yet. I hope they can partner with Asus and get a build with integrated Leap Motion.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Companies fail to understand that they could make more money if they opened up their platforms and made them more versatile. Just earlier today there was an article posted on THG/Daily tech about steam realizing they should have been doing open gl a long time ago, and now that they're trying to diversify they've realized the benefits of it. No duh... There's nothing that prevents a device from being designed for mainstream to also be useful for the techies with minimal effort. The moment they lock these devices down to an OS, they limit their potential customers.

And no... I'm not a Microsoft basher. I like windows and especially office, but they've made some decisions over the years I didn't care for, like the ribbons. I've still not fully gotten used to the ribbons but I have come around to see the usefulness. Same for Ubuntu, at first I didn't care for Untiy. The versatility is nice though, and having all the options is huge.

G

[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]What PC have you not been able to install an OS of your choice into? As long as there is a useable input method (boot from PXE, usb, HDD, etc...) then you can reinstall the OS of your choice for the architecture(s) your system supports. (x86, x64, IA64, etc...)On topic, I am glad to see AMD releasing some real products and would love to try out Turbo Dock. fortunately they don't seem to have missed any windows 8 boat yet. I hope they can partner with Asus and get a build with integrated Leap Motion.[/citation]
Well, there's some versions of UEFI BIOS' that prevent users from installing other operating systems. I honestly think AMD could only profit from allowing users to switch OS, plus they've been quite co-operative with open source movements so it's a possibility.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]gggplaya[/nom]Woohoo, now maybe i don't have to pay out the butt for a windows 8 tablet. Will this be able to run x86 or 64bit windows 8? Or is this for windows 8 RT?[/citation]

It's an x86-64 CPU, so you'd have no trouble running the real Windows 8. Probably Windows 7 too.

The Jaguar is AMD's answer to their current problems. Tablets are the most visible items they are showing now, but you'll also see these on a lot of desktop computers, no doubt running Windows 8 in most instances. There's nothing to preclude it, technologically, from running on better platforms too, but right now Windows 8 is still, despite its problems, the dominant new OS. While Microsoft is slowly losing the market, it will remain dominant for the next few years, at least.

More Granularity

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Good old Tom's, as always the Intel whore. Notice that the first sentence begins with Intel and the last sentence ends with Intel. Keep up the good work.

twelve25

Distinguished
Those talking about windows 7, what are you going to do for a touch interface and touch apps? Yes it works with the dock, but if you ONLY use it with the dock, you'd be better off with a netbook.

RedundantInk

Sep 15, 2012
[citation][nom]More Granularity[/nom]Good old Tom's, as always the Intel whore. Notice that the first sentence begins with Intel and the last sentence ends with Intel. Keep up the good work.[/citation]

I think you've revealed the author's Freudian slip, The same man (me) with a Phenom II and Radeon HD 6850.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]athulajp[/nom]Well, there's some versions of UEFI BIOS' that prevent users from installing other operating systems. I honestly think AMD could only profit from allowing users to switch OS, plus they've been quite co-operative with open source movements so it's a possibility.[/citation]

While this is possible in UEFI, I have yet to find a UEFI board that you could not remove the "secure boot" checkbox from. Additionally your understanding of how this works does not appear to be accurate. UEFI secure boot does not allow unsigned boot loaders to install an OS. Windows 7 and 8, as well as Linux all have signed bootloaders, and with minimal effort can be placed on any machine even with secure boot enabled.

http://paritynews.com/software/item/614-the-linux-foundation-secure-boot-pre-bootloader-released

At this time the only issue with UEFI secure boot appears to be dual booting alternate OS environments, which I was never much of a fan for, as I find VM's much more convenient.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]um... torchlight 2 is direct x 9c only... unless a recent patch put 11 into it...that said, the frame rate on the tablet looks like hell, i can see the slow down... ill take a lower resolution for 30+fps...[/citation]

Try running that on an Intel tablet...

YOU CAN'T

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Try running that on an Intel tablet...YOU CAN'T[/citation]
They did run it on an intel system running an Atom Z2760, it looked to be getting about 5 fps at 1366x768.

So maybe you can "Crawl" it on an Intel system. I certainly wouldn't call that "Running" though.

oj88

Honorable
May 23, 2012
You guys must see the demo video to appreciate the APU on a gaming tablet. I will certainly buy one if the price is right. BTW, "The Other Guys" is Intel Adam Z2760.

Status
Not open for further replies.