News AMD Rolls Out EPYC Embedded 9004 CPUs: Up to 96 Cores

Mar 14, 2023
Embedded may be associated with low power devices in our minds, however the concept has little to do with low power small devices, it's only about embedding computing functionality inside a device. Some machines for industrial applications will have embedded processing that requires a lot of computing power, for example the car you drive has embedded computing and the needs are increasing rapidly as we move towards fully autonomous navigation systems. The increasing computation power draw is already an issue for EVs . Also make note that the embedded EPYCs have a range of specs depending on needs, some are lower power, and there are other embedded processors designed for much lower power needs.

Reactions: gg83

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
for example the car you drive has embedded computing and the needs are increasing rapidly as we move towards fully autonomous navigation systems

The processors used in vehicle ECUs ares low power (were talking cell phone level SoC wattage draw at max). Even the processors used by Lidar and duel camera detections systems are low power compared to the average desktop, these also typically use tensor cores (aka gpu cores) not CPU cores to do the model processing on the collected images. Most cars only produce about 500 watts of power from an alternator, of which most of that power is reserved for the powertrain. You're not putting a 320 watt CPU in an ECU.

This is also true at the manufacturing level. Most of your PLCs, while not low power, don't need a 96 core general purpose CPU to run a manufacturing line. Most are target tiny core CPUs because they process very small subset of commands (most are ASIC if we want to get specific). Even most Robotic controllers don't use general purpose CPUs and certainly not one that would have 96 cores.

Mar 14, 2023
I agree that power consumption is an issue, however it's always an issue no matter what the application may be. Lower power is always better than higher, and it is seen today as a much more important consideration than it was just 10 years ago. As for vehicles, what I wanted say, is that the computing power needs are growing very quickly and it has already become a constraint especially on EVs. Unless something drastically changes with the technology, we're not going to have true self-navigation capabilities on a device as low powered as a cell phone is, however given the high investments going into "AI", we can expect advances that bring down the power needs to more practical levels. As for what kinds of computing devices are used inside emebbed applications, it all depends on the application. In many cases an ASIC will do, in others an FPGA is needed such as with space exploration devices, in other cases a GP CPU or GPU is required - it depends entirely on the needs. The EPYCs in our case are designed for fault tolerant longevity and other abilities such as support for NVDIMM memory. You can google up what Siemens uses the processor for, and also Advantech, these are two design wins mentioned by AMD.

What started the whole discussion is definitions, for example "edge" is not always well defined, it generally means a kind of application involving communications or data processing (it's a fuzzy thing), but "edge" can include the use of an embedded application, for example computing near a cell tower is an edge device that uses embedded computing.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
What started the whole discussion is definitions, for example "edge" is not always well defined, it generally means a kind of application involving communications or data processing (it's a fuzzy thing), but "edge" can include the use of an embedded application, for example computing near a cell tower is an edge device that uses embedded computing.

Fair argument. We could flip that and say embedded is also ambiguous. Is it still an embedded system if it has a display and connected to the internet? There are a lot of applications that are embedded that also come with a display and can update themselves (Vehicle Scan tools for example).

I guess when I think embedded I think power contained and largely self contained in some way. For Edge I feel like it is things not specifically controlled by the central system, but linked to it and possibly remotely controlled by it if needed (Cell Tower example). So my first reaction was it was a strangely named component.

Mar 14, 2023
It's true the definitions can get fuzzy. For example we could define an embedded EPYC system as being "embedded" only if it's not inside a server room, but then we have to define what a server room is, and I'm sure you'll agree that what first comes to mind as being a server room can quickly get fuzzy. Maybe a half decent way to describe "embedded" is a device that operates in a mostly self contained environment under conditions that requires a high level of reliability for long periods of time without the need for any maintenance.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Think "embedded" as in a MRI machine. Tons of power and cooling and image processing needed, but embedded as in it's an integral part of the system that gets certified as a complete system and therefore "upgrades" may not be allowed.