zknapp27

Reputable
Dec 25, 2016
Lately, I've been having a little issue with some games crashing my system. Sometimes the game just freezes and force-quits, and sometimes the whole system freezes up and restarts. This was never an issue with my older cards. I have only noticed a difference with my new card, which is an Asus Dual RX 5600XT. For example, I've been running Warzone on the highest settings, and can easily maintain over 60+ FPS, but it still seems to randomly crash. This only seems to be an issue with games that utilize more VRAM (e.x. games like Overwatch, Minecraft all run fine).

Through some internet searching, I realized that my PSU may not be enough to run my system. I can't remember the exact model, but it is a 500W Bronze rated unit. I've had the PSU since my first build, which was about 4 years ago. At the time, it was enough but I have upgraded to a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU as well as the RX 5600XT. After realizing that the PSU may be the problem, I used the Radeon Software to limit GPU power usage to about 75% of the normal amount.

After limiting GPU power usage, games have become slightly more stable where I can play for longer periods of time but crashing still happens occasionally.

Also, lowering settings helps as well. But I really don't enjoy playing games at low settings on a card that has the potential to go much further.

Basically, my question is this: Is my power supply insufficient? Or could it be something else? Or maybe 500W is enough but my PSU could just be getting old?

I would really appreciate any advice that anyone may have, Thanks.

Solution
Hey there,

It doesn't look like any crash dumps were generated.

Specs are:
cpu: Ryzen 5 2600
mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M
ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600
psu: EVGA 500W 80+ White
gpu: Asus Dual Radeon RX 5600XT EVO

Hmm, the problem could be stemming from the power supply though. Old power supplies can cause problems such as the one you're observing. Perhaps try looking into a newer power supply? If you do look for a power supply, I recommend one that has greater wattage to provide more headroom. In terms of the games crashing, however, the GPU and/or the drivers for that GPU could be at fault.
Jan 9, 2021
Hello zknapp27.

There is a chance that the power supply could be getting old, but before jumping to that conclusion, lets take a look at some other data. To begin, you stated that there were system crashes. Could you provide the crash dumps (if any were generated)? In addition, the computer's specifications will also help.

zknapp27

Reputable
Dec 25, 2016
Hello zknapp27.

There is a chance that the power supply could be getting old, but before jumping to that conclusion, lets take a look at some other data. To begin, you stated that there were system crashes. Could you provide the crash dumps (if any were generated)? In addition, the computer's specifications will also help.
Hey there,

Specs are:

Jan 9, 2021
Hey there,

Specs are:

Hmm, the problem could be stemming from the power supply though. Old power supplies can cause problems such as the one you're observing. Perhaps try looking into a newer power supply? If you do look for a power supply, I recommend one that has greater wattage to provide more headroom. In terms of the games crashing, however, the GPU and/or the drivers for that GPU could be at fault.

Solution

zknapp27

Reputable
Dec 25, 2016
Okay, thanks for the info. I'll look into reverting to an older driver and see if that makes any sort of difference before I go and buy a new power supply.

Reactions: Uncodable