Question AMD RX 570 - Driver crash right after Win10 startup... What can I do?

Apr 30, 2022
Dear Community 🙋‍♂️

I got this strange problem, which I can't get fixed. Currently, my GPU running stable with Radeon Software v. 20.5.1
(may 2020). All previous driver seems fine, but all version after 20.5.1 causes desktop & driver crashes every few seconds! At this time, my mouse is moving like 0.2 FPS and it won't stop. This happens every time right after the start of Windows 😔

My attempts to solve it
(in many different orders & not only one time)
  • Reinstall Radeon drivers (almost every driver, so I can say safely, that driver 20.5.1 and all previous are working)
  • Reinstall Windows 10
  • Kill AMD driver via DDU (normal & in safemode)
  • Format everything
  • Bios update.....
I mean, what can cause that kind of driver issue from Radeon Software since v.21?? Anybody here who knows something or got any ideas to help me out?
I don't want to miss 2 years of GPU optimization 😟

Many many thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022
RX570 was introduced in 2017 it was basically a renamed RX470 released 2016 with further tweaks. Run it on the last stable drivers very few driver tweaks after 2020 are for those cards if any rather the newer generations RX5xxx and RX6xxx
I just looked up for the latest RX 470 driver to test it, but it seems they are using the same drivers. So basically my RX 570 should't have this problem, since the newest drivers "includes" the older RX 470.

- Best regards

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Not really an appropriate PSU -- it's a budget PSU of a really old design with 384W of +12V power -- but it's not of low enough quality that it likely damaged the GPU. I suspect a generalized GPU issue that will be hard to pin down without something obviously being burnt. I'd test it on a better PSU just to make sure, but testing it in a whole different working PC would tell us a lot.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Apr 30, 2022
Not really an appropriate PSU -- it's a budget PSU of a really old design with 384W of +12V power -- but it's not of low enough quality that it likely damaged the GPU. I suspect a generalized GPU issue that will be hard to pin down without something obviously being burnt. I'd test it on a better PSU just to make sure, but testing it in a whole different working PC would tell us a lot.
Hmm. The calculator said I would have 70+ available with OC included. :/ Can you suggest me an cheap PSU that I could use for the test? Thank you very much for taking time :)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hmm. The calculator said I would have 70+ available with OC included. :/ Can you suggest me an cheap PSU that I could use for the test? Thank you very much for taking time :)

It's not just wattage, it's quality. But I don't think it's necessarily the issue here, just something to think about. It's certainly not something you should have ever been overclocking with.

Apr 30, 2022
It's not just wattage, it's quality. But I don't think it's necessarily the issue here, just something to think about. It's certainly not something you should have ever been overclocking with.
WIth the OC I started like a few month ago, this problem is much longer..... Ohh I forgot to mention, when I only install driver without Radeon Software, it works. :/