[SOLVED] AMD RX 5700 XT Junction temp reaches max (110C) quickly

Unknown E

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2016
Hello

So I just did some benchmarks with FurMark and 3DMark. While running it, I notice my Clock speed was fluctuating really bad and wondered why because my temperature was in the mid 60s which is fine. I then check the junction temp and it was at around 110C. Apparently my junction temp only gets at around 110C when I run benchmarks with a FPS value over 60FPS. If I ran FurMark on 1080p with 8x MSAA, I get about 29FPS and my junction temperature is stable around 90C. If I ran FurMark on 720p and use 4x MSAA anti-aliasing, I get over 100FPS but my junction temp quickly rise to 110C making the clock speed fluctuate really bad. It goes as low as about 1200Mhz and goes back up to about 2000Mhz. On 3DMark FireStrike, I get around 60-120FPS and I get the same issue

I'm assuming it's the Junction temperature that's making my GPU clock speed fluctuate. I couldn't do anything about it. I just replaced the thermal paste and I'm still having the same issue.

I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for the thermal paste.

Here are my PC specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
GPU: AMD RX 5700 XT (MSI MECH OC)
SSD: 500GB M.2 Crucial SSD
HDD: 1TB Seagate 2.5 SATA HDD

Solution
Fixed it. It's the thermal paste. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut isn't as good as I thought it'd be. I replaced it with DeepCool's Z5. A cheaper Thermal paste with a conductivity rating of 4.5W/(m.K). Not sure why the DeepCool thermal paste performs better than the Kryonaut which has 12.5W/(m.K) thermal conductivity.

Now my Junction temp is stable at around 100-105C with clockspeeds of 1950Mhz-2100Mhz and an edge temp of 70C
You are correct to assume it's the temperature's fault to have those fluctuations on the core clock. That's a HUGE difference between GPU temperature and Tjunction. My 5700XT has a difference between the two of maybe 10-15C at worst. Most of the time is around 7-8C and that's it.

Beside the thermal paste, there are also thermal pads on the VRMs. Did you put new ones or leave the ones that it had? If you put new, they might be wrongly placed or different thickness which will result in high temperatures.

Don't use furmark. It's a benchmark that makes the GPU work much harder than any game would. It's a power virus and you will always see very high temps with it. But not that much of a difference for sure.

Unknown E

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2016
Fixed it. It's the thermal paste. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut isn't as good as I thought it'd be. I replaced it with DeepCool's Z5. A cheaper Thermal paste with a conductivity rating of 4.5W/(m.K). Not sure why the DeepCool thermal paste performs better than the Kryonaut which has 12.5W/(m.K) thermal conductivity.

Now my Junction temp is stable at around 100-105C with clockspeeds of 1950Mhz-2100Mhz and an edge temp of 70C

Solution