Question AMD RX 5700 XT using too much vram?

theuglysandwich

Honorable
Oct 24, 2017
So I have been crashing a lot in games because of the game taking up too much vram. I am playing at 1440p ultra settings, but it still seems to be too much
8GB of vram should be enough for that. For example, in Mordhau, I saw someone playing the same settings as me and only use ~4gbs of vram. I use almost all of mine and then I crash after a while. This happens frequently in any heavy-duty games. I just updated the bios on my motherboard hoping that would fix it but it did not. I have the latest drivers.

Specs- AMD 3700x
AMD RX 5700 XT 8gb
16gb ddr4-3000
2tb hdd and 240 ssd
Around ~850 psu, not the best quality but I have not had any power problems i dont think.
This is a prebuilt but it was a gift from someone. Does anyone know why it is doing this? Thanks guys

How are you monitoring VRAM usage? Did this "someone" play in the same area in the game, the exact same texture settings, and the same resolution? Along with the same specs and framerate?
High VRAM usage doesn't normally cause crashes. Have you updated chipset drivers and bios as well as video card drivers?

theuglysandwich

Honorable
Oct 24, 2017
How are you monitoring VRAM usage? Did this "someone" play in the same area in the game, the exact same texture settings, and the same resolution? Along with the same specs and framerate?
High VRAM usage doesn't normally cause crashes. Have you updated chipset drivers and bios as well as video card drivers?

Msi Afterburner. I'm not sure if it was the same map or area but would that make a 4gb vram difference? Yes it is the same settings, he showed the settings then I went and looked at mine. Specs were different, he used a gtx 1080 ti, but would that change how much vram the game uses? Also I know vram is the cause because it gives me an error. Can't remember what the error is but it says something about memory allocation? I don't think its talking about ram because it will only use 8-10gbs of ram and I have 16gbs of that. I have updated bios and video card drivers, but not sure about chipset. I will check them out now.

Msi Afterburner. I'm not sure if it was the same map or area but would that make a 4gb vram difference? Yes it is the same settings, he showed the settings then I went and looked at mine. Specs were different, he used a gtx 1080 ti, but would that change how much vram the game uses? Also I know vram is the cause because it gives me an error. Can't remember what the error is but it says something about memory allocation? I don't think its talking about ram because it will only use 8-10gbs of ram and I have 16gbs of that. I have updated bios and video card drivers, but not sure about chipset. I will check them out now.

What is the full error message. Is it an allocation of memory error or a video memory error.

View: https://imgur.com/a/Ryb3h5U

Is this the error you see?

Reactions: extreme_noob

theuglysandwich

Honorable
Oct 24, 2017
What is the full error message. Is it an allocation of memory error or a video memory error.
Ok I couldn't remember the full error so I looked it up and found it. It is a video memory error. The full error message is - Out of video memory trying to allocate textures! Make sure your video card has the minimum required memory, try lowering the resolution and/or try closing other applications that are running.
The only thing I usually have running is edge with no video playing, spotify, msi afterburner, and discord sometimes.

After searching on google for a bit to see if this game had a problem it seems you're not the only one having a "Out of video memory" error since the last patch in this game.

You should be able to play your games with 8GB of VRAM without any "out of video memory". There is obviously a memory leak in the game.

You could try reinstalling the latest GPU drivers using DDU to be sure it's not a problem on your side but there are many threads with this error with this game since the last patch.

theuglysandwich

Honorable
Oct 24, 2017
After searching on google for a bit to see if this game had a problem it seems you're not the only one having a "Out of video memory" error since the last patch in this game.

You should be able to play your games with 8GB of VRAM without any "out of video memory". There is obviously a memory leak in the game.

You could try reinstalling the latest GPU drivers using DDU to be sure it's not a problem on your side but there are many threads with this error with this game since the last patch.
I seem to get these message on other games too such as gears 5. Fallout 76 seems to use up all my vram too at 1440p ultra. I will try to reinstall my drivers, thanks for the help! If you think of any other fix or anything let me know.

TRENDING THREADS