News AMD RX 6000-Series GPUs Are Much Cheaper Than Nvidia RTX 30-Series Cards

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Pretty sure AMD MSRP class for class has always been cheaper this generation. Just a reflection of that I would gather. AMD cards are actually hitting their MSRPs though and Nvidia is still about $100 over.

Reactions: Makaveli

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015

icmn223

Commendable
Apr 8, 2020
The lack of markup on AMD's side may be more of a market perception. Unless somehow TSMC managed to ramp up production such that supply is outpacing demand.
Nah, it's just because AMD 6000 series GPUs are not good for mining ETH, etc. whereas 3000 series Nvidia cards are.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
Well crypto has been going downhill, so to me that doesn't really explain why NVIDIA cards are perceived to have higher value.

It is partly crypto (though its fall is driving lower prices), but also because nvidia cards are still sought after for compute power for those that can afford them in workstations. They're cheaper than their pro cards, with acceptable performance as long as it's nothing heavy.

dk382

Commendable
Aug 31, 2021
Well crypto has been going downhill, so to me that doesn't really explain why NVIDIA cards are perceived to have higher value.
DLSS has been a really big deal actually. If FSR 2.0 manages to compete well with DLSS, that will be a big win for AMD. And even though many people still see ray tracing as a gimmick, I think there's a general unwillingness to spend $500+ on a card in 2022 that doesn't do it well. You at least want the option, especially if UE5 games will be shipping with hardware Lumen as the default.

Reactions: KyaraM

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
Some good reasons above. I also still have a nervousness about AMD drivers. I admit this is probably outdated but once bitten many years ago there is always that nagging in my mind.

Oh I remember those days. The non-beta AMD drivers are solid, though AMD lags a bit on the newest games compared to nvidia, so if you play the newest games, I can see you going for team green.

I tried their beta drivers and... wowza, not even windows likes them.
Their official releases are solid across operating systems though, crazy as that might sound.

KyaraM

Admirable
Some good reasons above. I also still have a nervousness about AMD drivers. I admit this is probably outdated but once bitten many years ago there is always that nagging in my mind.
For me, it's the AMD cards that died on me while Nvidia's never did. I know that it hapens with both companies, but like you, there is that nagging at the back of my mind, lol. There are also some applications where Nvidia has a leg up that I use, which also matters naturally. I will gladly recommend AMD cards, though, especially the lower end ones where RT isn't much of an issue. Though there, DLSS helps a lot...

Generally, though, voth brands are awesome and can be recommended almost universally as long as the peice is right.

May 9, 2022
It is partly crypto (though its fall is driving lower prices), but also because nvidia cards are still sought after for compute power for those that can afford them in workstations. They're cheaper than their pro cards, with acceptable performance as long as it's nothing heavy.

This, really.
It's the CUDA tax. If gamers won't buy at MSRP, deep learning enthusiasts, graphic designers and videomakers will. All these categories have been priced out of the Quadro/Pro cards in the past 2 years, and they have been mistreated then forgotten by AMD with the ROCm debacle and bad support for professional apps.

Reactions: hotaru.hino
D

Deleted member 14196

I was borderline Rx 6900 or EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra. Paid 1299.99 (MSRP) for the FTW3 Ultra 20 days ago. The 3080ti performs like a champ and I am very happy with my personal choice.
For 1300 It had better perform like Jesus. I’m talking water into wine

Reactions: Sleepy_Hollowed
Just wanna say that the $400 MSRP of the 3060Ti was considerably better than the $480 MSRP of the 6700XT. Despite the 6700XT being 5% faster in non-ray tracing games, that doesn't make up for the 20% higher MSRP.

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
Of course they are cheaper. But if they would fix their driver performance issues with MineCraft and DangerZone then they would not have to be. I love AMD, but AMD and Graphics is like Intel and Software. They just don't work.

But we can't compare them by their name series like 6950XT vs 3090Ti, I always hope that AMD can head-to-head Nvidia by their name series too
Why does AMD have to be the one to change? Why not Nvidia? How would you know what company's GPU you're buying?

Should AMD and Intel do this for consumer CPUs also?

Why aren't all mid-size sedans called a "Malibu"?** (or insert your favorite company's model) Chevy Malibu, Ford Malibu, Honda Malibu, Toyota Malibu, etc etc etc.
**Aside from obvious name trademarks..it's a hypothetical..let it slide.

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It is annoying enough already with them fighting over X, B, RTX/RX/XT

Intel did have to change their numbering scheme because AMD co-opted theirs. Intel B250 -> AMD B350/450/550, so Intel became B360/460/560/660 Same with the X motherboard platform, at least they used a different number.

Nvidia threw me for a loop with the RTX series. Never would have thought they would put an R in their product names since ATI/AMD have had Radeon forever. Also team Red! And now team gReen I suppose.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It was more the letter number combination that Intel had been using consistently for consumer motherboards for over a decade. Then with Zen, AMD co-opted all the Intel consumer platform naming schemes. Not the first time either, they did similar with CPU naming conventions before Zen.

Intel Z370, AMD X370, X470, X570. Not to mention Intel's X platform which Threadripper also co-opted. Though Intel didn't give in as much there. Intel X99, X299, woops AMD X399...
So Intel moved to using Zx90, There hasn't been a follow on HEDT chipset since, but Intel looks to be doing X699 and AMD seems to be done with consumer Threadripper and is switching their WRX80 chipset.

Adopting Intel's 3/5/7/9 convention was a good move. Let's people have a consistent way to tell what level of CPU they are getting. All AMD had to do was come up their own distinct chipset names. They probably could have stuck the A convention they had going, T for Threadripper. They had options that wouldn't have involved fighting for a trademark name.