News AMD RX 6500 XT PCIe 3.0 vs. 4.0 Tested

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I think I can only address this with memes....

4l317t.jpg

and also...

d45.jpg

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I've often thought a lot of people are unfairly and excessively critical of AMD's graphics hardware and software, but in this case, well … what the hell were they thinking when they concocted this?

Does the limitation of a x4 PCIe link really save that much space on the chip, and is it worth the sacrifice to performance in the present time, not to mention the complete lack of any kind of future-proofing?

InvalidError

Titan
Emphasizing the need to keep VRAM usage under 4GB is kind of unfair to all of the other 4GB GPUs that are doing fine under the same higher quality settings thanks to their faster PCIe interface.

what the hell were they thinking when they concocted this?
"We have a tiny mobile GPU not worth a damn for mining and half a damn for gaming, the desktop market is completely screwed up, lets see if we can make a buck off of desperate gamers' backs by slapping those on add-in boards and asking $200 a pop while we still can!"

The next phase of ETH 2.0 may only be 3-4 months away. That isn't much time to saturate the entry-level market with whatever GPUs AMD and Nvidia can spare before it gets flooded by ETH farms ditching their least profitable GPUs in bulk.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
This is an entry level card that would make sense only in a couple of years, when most people may be using a PCIe 4.0+ motherboard. I guess AMD thinks everyone is buying their 5xx platforms :LOL:

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Those desperate enough to "need" this little failure of GPU, better not go past Medium settings in old games and past Low settings in new ones.

It's the only way it won't crash and burn hard.