[SOLVED] AMD RX 6800 XT random black screens and "no signal" ?

Nicholas_55

Honorable
Oct 23, 2016
Hi, I've been having a recurring problem for months where my monitors would randomly turn black and lose signal when idling or gaming. The display still has no signal despite rebooting. Only way I can get around it is by removing the main power source for a minute or two. Despite that, every time I get into the desktop, device manager always shows that my graphics drivers are disabled. Re-enabling them would result in a black screen and a subsequent lost signal again.

Tried reinstalling drivers via clean install using DDU would get the drivers enabled and functional. But would randomly black out and loses signal again leading back to the start of the problem again.

Used to have this problem a few months back, updating the BIOS to the latest version actually resolved my problems up till recently. However, despite updating to the latest BIOS, still having the same issue.

Temperatures are normal (CPU ~ 40C | GPU ~ 48C idle)

System Spec
Processor: Ryzen 5600x
Memory: 8GBx2 Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600Mhz
GPU: Aorus Master RX 6800 XT Type C
MOBO: B550i Aorus pro AX rev 1 (Bios version F16B)
PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum
PC Case: NR200P (Not using a riser cable)

Things I have done
  1. Reinstalled and rollback multiple versions of radeon graphics drivers (clean install with DDU in safe mode)
  2. Clearing CMOS and updating to latest BIOS - Previously worked a few months back but now not working
  3. Reseating RAM/Disabling XMP profile/Using new RAM sticks
  4. Changing BIOS settings to PCIE 3.0
  5. Reseating the GPU
  6. Changing between different DP and HDMI ports
  7. Testing with different monitors
  8. Reinstalled Windows
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Solution
If you have to hard-switch the PC off for it to turn back on again, it means your PSU's protections must have tripped and required a reset.

Could be a defective GPU or just that the PSU has trouble coping with the GPU's transients.

Nicholas_55

Honorable
Oct 23, 2016
thanks for the reply. Will probably try out later in the evening with more replacement parts. Kinda apprehensive about flashing my vga bios, especially on a comp which can potentially crash at any moment

Nicholas_55

Honorable
Oct 23, 2016
Thank you all for the replies and input

Update: I think I may have found the culprit. Brought my pc to work but I couldn't replicate the same crashes I had previously despite being under full load for hours. It got me wondering if it was my home circuitry that is causing the problem. My home is really old with wirings >30 years old where most of them are ungrounded.

Brought it home and tried testing using a different wall outlet + dividing the load among two wall outlets. No more crashing for now.