[SOLVED] AMD RX drivers not installing

Apr 30, 2020
So I've searched and tried everything I could find to trouble shoot this problem for the last 2 days. Nothing has worked so far.

I just replaced the PSU on an older machine, updated mobo BIOS, fresh windows 10 pro X-64 install, full updates to 1909 patch, safe mode DDU uninstall on default windows AMD drivers, installed latest recommended AMD Adrenalin 20.2.2 which comes up as the drivers for RX470 and RX480.

The device manager still gives me warnings on both display drivers (error code 43) and Adrenalin doesn't open (error msg below).

"No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware."

The GPU's seem to be partially working as in I'm getting full resolution and the display devices are properly identified by the device manager but GPU-Z is not registering any GPU or Mem clock cycles for either card. It's showing static 100% load with 0 fan speed. obviously this is incorrect.

I did the full "Clean Driver Install" procedure pinned to this forum described above. Still no luck.

This wasn't always the case. I had been able to open AMD software settings on Crimson but it doesn't seem like Adrenalin + update patch 1909 + my setup is getting along.

I need to get into Adrenalin Software Settings to enable Crossfire on both GPU's which I've read can be done with these two cards.

Is my setup too old to be supported? Can I revert to an older driver? Should I reset and not update to 1909? Guru's chime in. Thanks.

Asus P7P55D-E Pro
BIOS 1703 6/26/2012
Intel i5 760 @2.80GHz
2x2GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Asus RX480 4GB
PowerColor RX470 4GB
Thermaltake Smart BX1 650W 80+ bronze PSU

Last edited:
Solution
First of all, why are you using both the RX 470 and 480 on the same machine ? How are the cards configured ? Do you get the same error message, if you install only a SINGLE graphics card ?

This explanation give below, is just a general info which I've outlined...All the points listed may or may NOT be applicable in your case...Though, you have mostly covered some of the steps outlined below. But nonetheless, I'm just listing them once again.

The above Error code 43 can be reported anytime when Windows does not recognize a device – whether it's a USB port, Hard drive, video card/GPU, or any other piece of hardware connected to the computer. Most of the time, error code 43 means that a device driver is either missing...
First of all, why are you using both the RX 470 and 480 on the same machine ? How are the cards configured ? Do you get the same error message, if you install only a SINGLE graphics card ?

This explanation give below, is just a general info which I've outlined...All the points listed may or may NOT be applicable in your case...Though, you have mostly covered some of the steps outlined below. But nonetheless, I'm just listing them once again.

The above Error code 43 can be reported anytime when Windows does not recognize a device – whether it's a USB port, Hard drive, video card/GPU, or any other piece of hardware connected to the computer. Most of the time, error code 43 means that a device driver is either missing, corrupt, and/or outdated (so Windows has problems communicating properly with the hardware), or the hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced.

This error code points out that the Hardware might also be defective, which is the GPU. But before we jump to any conclusion, check the card on some other PC as well ??

What does it say under SAFE MODE ? Your GPU might also be faulty, but before we jump on any conclusion, can you TEST the Video card on some other PC ?

Clear and reset ALL the CMOS/BIOS settings to default.

Like mentioned above, Error code 43 is a generic message that typically indicates a problem with the hardware or software in Windows operating system. This error is often reported in Windows Device Manager. If you encounter this error with your graphics card, here are some troubleshooting ideas that may help fix it.

1) Update your graphics card driver. Do a CLEAN re-install by using the DDU tool. https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

2) Make sure your system is updated with the latest BIOS and Windows updates

3) Check to make sure your system power supply meets the minimum recommended power requirement for your card

4) If your card needs additional power, make sure the PCIe supplemental power connector is plugged into the card

5) Replace the graphics card as it may be defective

Code 43 can mostly happens either if drivers fail or the hardware fails. Other option is that your GPU or motherboard slot failed. If your motherboard has more then one PCIe x16 slot, you can move GPU to another slot to rule out motherboard failure. Or you should test GPU in another machine to confirm that problem lies in the card.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 30, 2020
First of all, why are you using both the RX 470 and 480 on the same machine ?

This system was originally a mining rig which is why I have the two cards. I am converting it to a gaming rig and saw someone successfully crossfire the rx470 and rx480.

How are the cards configured?

They are not crossfire linked yet which was why I need the Settings Software.

Do you get the same error message, if you install only a SINGLE graphics card ?

I will try without any gpu's and then isolate them and report back.

What does it say under SAFE MODE ?

I didn't look for the error message in safe mode. will try that and report back.

Your GPU might also be faulty, but before we jump on any conclusion, can you TEST the Video card on some other PC ?

I do not have another PC to test the cards on.

Clear and reset ALL the CMOS/BIOS settings to default.

will do this and report back.

2) Make sure your system is updated with the latest BIOS and Windows updates

I did this already.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you get this working, I'd look at replacing the PSU. If you were to run at max load, the RX 470 (120W) and RX 480 (150W) add up to a total of 270W of draw, not counting power spikes.

How many PCIe connectors does your PSU have?

Coolermaster does not generally make good PSUs. While 650W should be enough, I'm not sure I'd rely on that PSU to run both of these cards.

Apr 30, 2020
Okay so the mobo has no onboard graphics interface so I couldn't run it without either of the gpu's.

I ran the following sequence on both cards individually and got identical results for both cards.

1. safe mode ddu auto restart. no device manager or system info errors on display driver. windows default display driver shown
  2. normal mode adrenalin install with restart. same dm and si errors on display driver in normal mode.
  3. switched to safe mode after install as instructed and no dm or si error on display driver but got errors on audio drivers. DM and SI recognized correct GPU chip but with driver error.
  4. switched back to normal mode and same dm and si errors on display driver but not on audio driver. DM and SI recognized correct GPU chip but with driver error.
  5. adrenalin did not open in either safe or normal modes for either cards.

The power supply should be suitable for a single card but did not change the outcome of the tests.

Both cards work with default display driver and fans spin up and power indicator led is on during power up.

Apr 30, 2020
If you get this working, I'd look at replacing the PSU. If you were to run at max load, the RX 470 (120W) and RX 480 (150W) add up to a total of 270W of draw, not counting power spikes.

How many PCIe connectors does your PSU have?

Coolermaster does not generally make good PSUs. While 650W should be enough, I'm not sure I'd rely on that PSU to run both of these cards.

The PSU has two PCIe connectors (6+2). Also I made a mistake the PSU is a not coolermaster it's a https://www.thermaltake.com/smart-bx1-rgb-650w.html . Not sure what I was smoking. lol.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
LOL, I've had days like that.

That said, while the Toughpower series from Thermaltake are generally good, most of their others aren't.

Click on the first link in my sig - that writeup offers an excellent guide as to what to get vs what to avoid.

Apr 30, 2020
I totally forgot that I flashed both GPU bios when I was using them for crypto. I loaded the factory BIOS on to both GPU's and problem solved. Should have been the first thing I tried. doh.

Reactions: King_V