[SOLVED] AMD RX550 random FPS drops in video games (and other programs)

KIHA

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
Hello everyone,

Recently, well more like two mounths ago, I started getting random and frequent FPS drops while playing games. The FPS drops maybe every twenty seconds and lasts for ten seconds. I have also noticed that the same thing is happening in some programs I'm using, like Discord, animations and scrolling just out of no where lose FPS (and no, it's not only because there's a lot of elements on the window).
I have tested this in games to see whether it's the character moving, just some areas in games, or just overall a very demanding game. It's none of this, my FPS literally drops even when I'm standing still whether there is a war happening in a very demanding game or it's just an empty flat world in Minecraft.

At first, I thought the temperature is the problem, but seeing that it goes only up to 50°C made me think that this can't be a problem (right?). The fan is working fine, and like a month ago I deep cleaned my PC from dust.
Then my friend mentioned CPU bottlenecking the GPU. I checked that, searched whether my AMD FX-8350 could possobly bottleneck my GPU, found out they work fine together.
Then I went to AMD Radeon Settings, tried disabling everything that manipulates the FPS in order to get "better gameplay", it didn't help. I have also tried to raise GPU's frequency and the limit of power usage, no result. Temperature stayed the same though.

Other things I tried:
  • fresh Windows 10 reinstall (did it three times)
  • constant drive update (whenever available)
  • clean driver install (did it few times already)
  • when I was doing something else on the PC, I took out the GPU and booted the PC with the integrated GPU and did something not tied to this problem, I then put back the GPU, booted the PC, but nothing.
I have searched the Internet for the solution like a hundred time so far and I found nothing that solves my problem. Please help anyhow!

EDIT: My GPU isn't even that old, I bought it like in november in 2018, I bought a new BIOSTAR mother board, new AMD FX-8350 and new 8 GB ram card in summer 2019, everything worked fine until now.

EDIT 2: Ok, so, what I tried is to uninstall the GPU drivers, don't install them, and check if there's any change with FPS. NOPE. I literally had Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and the FPS was still once high, once low. And I yet again installed the drives, nothing.

EDIT 3: ...i just keep editing this... So now what I did is put back my old GPU, installed the drivers and all, but that didn't fix anything either. And now I'm just confused, maybe GPU isn't the problem at all?

Last edited:
Solution
your Gpu is definetly not a problem
I'd run a couple apps to start with. CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry both. Malwarebytes to see if there is some poorly written malware hogging resources. And do a FULL virus scan with whatever virus pgm you have.

and also could you describe thet fps drops like from how many to how many or is there any stutering or freezing of just generaly lower fps at some moments?

jovan.draganovic

Reputable
Nov 27, 2018
I'd run a couple apps to start with. CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry both. Malwarebytes to see if there is some poorly written malware hogging resources. And do a FULL virus scan with whatever virus pgm you have.

and also could you describe thet fps drops like from how many to how many or is there any stutering or freezing of just generaly lower fps at some moments?

Solution

KIHA

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019

Yeah, in the end I figured out that CPU might actually be the problem here. I searched the Internet a little more and found out that people with same CPU as mine have exactly the same problem, FPS from like 100 drops to 20 for several seconds.

As for the system's health, I clean it and scan for viruses every week, no viruses so far.