Question Amd RX580 8g gpu usage drops to 0 while gaming

Apr 2, 2019
I have a problem with my Rx508 8Gig card, My gpu usage drops to 0% and ill get a freeze while playing Ark, Dead By Deadlight and Risk of Rain 2(only games im having this problem) Problem cropped up a few weeks ago was intermittent now its a constant freeze for 1-2 seconds every 30seconds to a minute its happening. Im at a loss on how to fix this problem. I have current drivers(19.4.1), No afterburner or anything. Any help would be a appreciated. I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

Computer specs
CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K
GPU: PowerColor RED DEVIL Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 AXRX 580
Ram:16g

Seasonic FOCUS series SSR-550FM 550W 80 + Gold Power Supply.

PsychicBear

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
I'm getting the exact same problem with Risk of Rain 2, I just bought the game and it was playing fine at first but after a reboot it stutters every ~15 seconds for 2-4 seconds but doesn't do so for other games like Apex Legends. One interesting thing to note is that my Steam client also freezes at the same intervals and it freezes even if I switch to Manjaro Linux. I tried disabling Steam overlay and that stopped the game from freezing when the Steam overlay pops up however it still freezes every 15 seconds. Memory diagnostic tool comes up with no issues. I have entirely different specs to OP so I'm stumped. I even reinstalled windows and the problem still persisted so it makes me think it's a hardware issue, unless it's just a weird Steam bug??

UPDATE: I downloaded a torrented version of Risk of Rain 2 and it runs perfectly fine so it looks to be either a steam issue or an issue with an update of the game

Last edited:

PsychicBear

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
I managed to find a fix to my problem but there's no guarantee it will work for you too, I saw on the steam forum that someone said steam was using their bluetooth dongle for some reason. I unplugged my own bluetooth dongle and that instantly fixed the issue, no more freezing in my steam games.