Question AMD RX6700 XT stopped working after CPU cooler replacement

Oct 27, 2023
EDIT: I replaced the PSU and that did not fix the problem. I replaced the GPU, and the new GPU works. I am going to keep the PSU, since I feel it is always good to have a backup. Strange that the old GPU works in other PCs, but not mine. Oh well, problem is "solved".

I wasn't sure where to post this question, since I believe it could be a few different issues. Since it is my Graphics card that doesn't work, I guess I'll post it here.

GPU - AMD RX6700 XT

My PC was working without issue for years. I had a loud clicking sound from my PC that I suspected was my liquid cooler. After changing the liquid cooler out for a air cooler, my GPU stopped working on first boot after replacement. The PC would start, but no video. The MOBO VGA light stayed orange. I was able to plug my monitor into my MOBO video output, that worked fine.

I changed my GPU to an old RX 580 I had. The 580 GPU also worked fine. I put my RX6700XT in a different computer, that worked.

I ordered a new 6650XT GPU, but I suspect my issue may be my PSU. But why would my PSU have no issues until after I changed out my liquid cooler?

Any other thoughts on what my issue may be? Thanks.

Last edited:
Did you make sure to get all power connections back on securely on your GPU?

It looks like its a 6x8 connector so it might be lose somewhere which is causing it to not get enough power hence the issues. You might even back-trace it and make sure it's firmly connected to your PSU as well.

Oct 27, 2023
Thanks for your suggestion. I have 2 8 pin connectors on my GPU. I have 2 cables, with 2 connectors on each cable. I checked the PSU, they are connected fine, I also tried different combinations in case a connection was bad. No luck. I ordered a new PSU, I'll see if that helps. If not, I'll return it.