AMD Ryzen 1800X Appears Sold Out At Some Retailers

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

According to Guru3d SLI is supported only on x370. Ryzen is great CPU but chipset is just horrible.

Joe Black

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I have no doubt Ryzen will be a great chip, but I am happy that I have it in me to wait :)

And btw... WHAT?! A CPU that beats the Intel flagship sold out? Probably already made more profits than that overpriced silicon real estate before it even shipped! Hectic...

Aflwdw

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017
Waiting for benchmarks and some higher end motherboards. Would like to see more love for ITX as well

Obie Trice

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
@freak777power If you're going with SLI you have to but at least two 1070, so you should get a powerful CPU for that and I think that an x370 mobo is not a problem then.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Horrible? To SLI you need $800 in GPUs, buying the highest end overclockable motherboard isn't a stretch. You do know only the Z170/Z270 support SLI on the Intel side. Also there are many affordable X370 options, you don't need a $260 Crosshair to do it.

didgetmaster

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
I am developing a new multi-threaded data management system that can really take advantage of all the cores/threads for big data operations. It not only can run multiple queries simultaneously, but it can also break a single query into smaller pieces and often run those pieces in parallel threads for faster execution.

I recently upgraded my old i7 3770K to an i7 6800K. I got a 50% boost in performance since it went from a quad core to a hex core CPU, but I had been hoping for more since that CPU is 3 generations ahead of my previous one.

Now, I wish I had waited and got a 1700X or 1800X Ryzen box instead. I would love to see how my software performs on one of those systems. I am just glad I didn't splurge for the i7 6900K (I was tempted).

teamninja

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
Most regular people won't ever need more then 4 cores these days and Maybe still for years to come... they released 8 cores it is gunning for intel's Top of the line cpus but they are only relasing 6 cores in Q2.... what? Where are those 4 cores Q3? Regular people simply don't need that many cores

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Plenty of benchmarks have been posted.
Go to wccftech.com
You can search BM sites for the IDs.
Sure they are not 'official', but there is an abundance that show AMD has created an excellent product. AMD fans will snap them up.
Fast, Cool Running, OC able and High Value across the board.

WFang

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
I'm holding out for the 1800X but I would like to learn more about OC stability and Motherboard performance to help narrow the choices of which MB (vendor) to go with...

InvalidError

Titan

It is called maximizing margins.

AMD has a finite number of wafer starts available to it. I'm guessing the bulk of its CPU wafers are on 8C16T at the moment and will remain there until supply exceeds demand. Once that happens, AMD will launch the 6C12T variants based on the same die with cores disabled to sell excess production to people looking for lower price points. We'll only the the 4C/4C8T variants after AMD has fulfilled the initial demand inrush for higher-end, higher-margins parts.

As for people not needing more than four cores today, a lot of it is down to the chicken-and-egg problem: most developers don't want to put any more effort into designing their software than necessary, which means they rarely bother trying to thread their code any more than absolutely necessary when multi-threaded CPUs are still relatively uncommon. With Ryzen raising the budget bar to 4C8T, making 6C12T becoming affordable and Intel likely to follow several months to a year later, more heavily threaded software may become significantly more common over the next few years.

Ryzen offers a disruptive change in bang-per-buck after six years of PC market stagnation. Only time will tell how much of an impact this will have on everything else. Everyone who uses a PC will be affected to some extent sooner or later.

dabeargrowls

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
AMD lost my business a long time ago. Their processors just suck. I seriously doubt the processor is so much better that its worth dumping an I7 for unless you REALLY use it. Most people depend on the GPU/SSD than the processor. Save your duckies for a real change!

HotTake78

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
Idk y the 1700x isn't the top seller. I've been testing all the 8 Core Ryzen and that chip is definitely the best deal! It's literally 200MHz less than the 1800x! Both OC the same so just get the younger cheaper sibling.

I wonder how many of those preorders are scumbags buying up the stock. In hopes of cashing in by reselling them at an inflated price on launch day. Just as so many other hyped tech products in short supply at launch.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Guess 1 million chips didnt go very far. Tho the 1700x and 1700 are still avaliable and we dont konw how many 1800x there were, or how many of the 1700x/1700 there are left.

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Waiting for higher end ASUS RGB boards. Gotta be even better ones then that. Preordered Thanks TOMS! Right where i live too under my nose! Can't wait for this build to take shape!

Status
Not open for further replies.