Question AMD Ryzen 2700X won't hit 100% all cores

below20hz

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
I just built a new machine for myself this past month, mostly for encoding my blu-ray library. When it was first completed (stock, no OC on Windows 10 Pro, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Motherboard), when I would use Handbrake or BD3D2MK3D, all cores would hit 100% at 3700mHz, which is exactly what I expected and wanted. But since then something has changed (power settings? update? BIOS?) and now when I run an encode, the cores fluctuate wildly across all threads from 50% to 100%, mostly within the 70% to 90% range, but now at 3850mHz.

This new behavior has added several hours to my encode times. I don't recall if I changed something, but what should I be looking at to correct this? Are there common culprits?

Thanks in advance,
Ethan

Newtonius

Notable
Sep 25, 2019
None of those should've affected the CPU speed (windows update maybe, but not likely) and BIOS cannot update itself. Most likely your CPU is switching between fastest cores to achieve higher clock speeds for single threaded performance. But for encoding you need to get the best Multi-threaded performance. I can't say why handbrake is not utilizing all cores at once

BUT:

Make sure you've updated your motherboard to the latest BIOS then download and install 'Ryzen Master' and 'HWinfo64' to see further in-depth details on what is happening with your CPU during high-load. In Ryzen master you can see core usage/speed/power-draw/etc. You can also manually adjust and overclock your CPU cores so all cores boost to a specified speed instead of fluctuating around. This is considered an 'all-core overclock'. You can also do this in the BIOS if you are technically knowledgeable about it, which I recommend you learn how to if you don't.

The base clock for the 2700X is 3.7GHz, the boost clock is 4.3GHz. On stock, at least 1 or two cores should reach 4.3GHz when on high-load. On 100% all the cores should get anywhere from 3.8-4GHz at least since it would be too hot and unstable at 4.3GHz all cores.

Which reminds me, make sure your temps aren't getting out of control. High temps will cause your CPU to throttle down the performance.

below20hz

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
None of those should've affected the CPU speed (windows update maybe, but not likely) and BIOS cannot update itself. Most likely your CPU is switching between fastest cores to achieve higher clock speeds for single threaded performance. But for encoding you need to get the best Multi-threaded performance. I can't say why handbrake is not utilizing all cores at once

BUT:

Make sure you've updated your motherboard to the latest BIOS then download and install 'Ryzen Master' and 'HWinfo64' to see further in-depth details on what is happening with your CPU during high-load. In Ryzen master you can see core usage/speed/power-draw/etc. You can also manually adjust and overclock your CPU cores so all cores boost to a specified speed instead of fluctuating around. This is considered an 'all-core overclock'. You can also do this in the BIOS if you are technically knowledgeable about it, which I recommend you learn how to if you don't.

The base clock for the 2700X is 3.7GHz, the boost clock is 4.3GHz. On stock, at least 1 or two cores should reach 4.3GHz when on high-load. On 100% all the cores should get anywhere from 3.8-4GHz at least since it would be too hot and unstable at 4.3GHz all cores.

Which reminds me, make sure your temps aren't getting out of control. High temps will cause your CPU to throttle down the performance.
Thank you for the response. I am baffled because I didn't think I changed anything that would change the core utilization. When first built, I left everything stock and it hit 3.7gHz at 100% across all cores - which is expected performance. I encoded a couple dozen movies (4K and 3D) over a month's time and everything went like clockwork. Now it's just acting weird and refusing to hit 100% across all cores.

However your comment about temps reminded me that I DID swap the parts to a new case over the holidays, and i noticed my temps are hitting above 70°C now, as high as 77°C. Previously in the original case the temps topped out at 70°C max. I didn't think 77° was high enough for the processor to throttle itself, but I guess I should look into that. I'm actually a little bewildered at the temperature change since the new case is bigger with better airflow. Maybe I need to reseat the cooler.

btw I am a former overclocker, so setting everything to an all-core OC is not a problem and as a last resort I will certainly use your suggestion, but I'd rather figure out why the change in behavior if I can, as I don't want to repeat it on my other rigs.

Thank you again for the response!

Newtonius

Notable
Sep 25, 2019
Thank you for the response. I am baffled because I didn't think I changed anything that would change the core utilization. When first built, I left everything stock and it hit 3.7gHz at 100% across all cores - which is expected performance. I encoded a couple dozen movies (4K and 3D) over a month's time and everything went like clockwork. Now it's just acting weird and refusing to hit 100% across all cores.

However your comment about temps reminded me that I DID swap the parts to a new case over the holidays, and i noticed my temps are hitting above 70°C now, as high as 77°C. Previously in the original case the temps topped out at 70°C max. I didn't think 77° was high enough for the processor to throttle itself, but I guess I should look into that. I'm actually a little bewildered at the temperature change since the new case is bigger with better airflow. Maybe I need to reseat the cooler.

btw I am a former overclocker, so setting everything to an all-core OC is not a problem and as a last resort I will certainly use your suggestion, but I'd rather figure out why the change in behavior if I can, as I don't want to repeat it on my other rigs.

Thank you again for the response!
Good to see you know what you're doing then. Yeah temps are probably the culprit then.

below20hz

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Well it's not the temps.

I have taken it apart a few times now, and it's still doing the same thing, but I couldn't find my Noctua paste so I had to use some crappy Corsair junk from BestBuy and the temps are worse (actually a lot worse, hitting over 80°C). If it was a temp issue it would simply throttle my speeds even slower to maintain temps.

Also i completed another build with a Ryzen 2700X and the temps stay under 70°C, but that PC does the same thing when I encode with Handbrake or BD3D2MK3D.

The two PC's have different motherboards (MSI and ASUS) so I am wondering if this is possibly a Windows 10 issue? Any settings I should be looking at?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS