AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Review

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

It's far more than anyone conjecturing has brought to the table; and the data itself is validated, unlike what you have presented. Don't like the data? Disprove it. Just keep in mind fantasy does not equal reality.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

A quick glance of your sources show: the most popular games, that many people still use dual cores, and movement from dual to quad cores has been slow. They in no way support your claims that 'average' gamers are oblivious to frametime variance, and that they are perfectly content (and therefore have no desire to upgrade) as long as the game runs.

Actually it does, because they aren't bothering to play games that need more juice, obviously. You can literally combine demanding games on pc in terms of concurrent users and fall far, far, far short of these games requiring low end hardware.I know analysis is hard in the enthusiast cocoon.

For what it's worth, I agree with you.

The key word being ignored from your argument is "tolerance". Non-enthusiast do note stuttering and other "artifacts" (whatever you want to call them) in games, but don't mind as long as they *can play*. Is it a painful or expensive upgrade? Keep on playing! Is it a cheap upgrade they can do easily? Go for it.

Most non-enthusiasts still use laptops or pre-built computers, so their rate of adoption goes in-line with what is put in the cheapest bracket. This is a bit like "chicken and egg". I can guarantee if all 4C CPUs go to the $70 price range and OEMs put those in the same price bracket as regular 2C PCs, they will fly off the shelves and move the Steam statistics to 4C overnight. Will that happen? Nope; self-fulfilled prophecy of sorts.

Cheers!

I think the term 'average gamer ' is a misuse personally, there's not really any such thing.
Casual gamer maybe would be better used.

Have you thought maybe the reason that lol & the like are so popular is simply because they are titles than can still be played on old core2duos, quads & first gen i3's at least part successfully ??

You're assuming that owners of old 2009/2010/2011 systems are entirely happy not playing newer titles but I think the main reason they don't is simply because they know their systems aren't capable & they don't (or didn't) have the budget until now to do so.

Owners of systems that old were likely at the time still in full time education with very little money to spend.They'll now likely be in full (or at least part-time) employment & have spare cash now.
The cheap ryzen 3 chips offer a foothold into real performance (not enthusiast) computing & gaming.
For that $100ish pricepoint for a full blown quad core with excellent capabilities amd should be applauded full stop IMO.

& I'm still talking about the ryzen 1200 here , I think the 1300x is just off-kilter price compared to the rest of the ryzen lineup.

Apart from the vast IPC difference of core2 & first gen Intels the fact is that hardware changes in general will force people to upgrade eventually.
Got even a 2nd gen Intel sandy/ivy & if the board dies you're Sol getting a replacement nowadays .
Older than that ?? Good luck finding anything from ddr2 ram to ide hard drives unless you risk second hand.
GPU upgrades ?? A lot won't work on boards pre 2012 full stop , you've then got Microsoft forcing win 10 & removing (or at least ignoring) compatibility with older hardware.

A massive percentage of people with a system Pre 2012 (sandy/ivy & am3+ era) is going to have to upgrade at some point in the next 2 years IMO.

bloodroses

Distinguished

The other reason is because they can be played on Intel based laptops that only have the HD onboard graphics on it. I'm actually surprised I can play Heroes of the Storm on my i5 5200u Broadwell (HD5500 graphics) laptop. Granted it's no where close to the quality of playing on my desktop, but the portability factor is nice. :)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Sigh, I'll try this one this one more time. Your sources only show the level of dual vs quad core adoption, and which games are most popular. Unless I missed something, they don't say why people are sticking to dual cores, or why they're playing those games. You clearly have your own ideas on this, but they're based on conjecture and anecdotes, at least based on what you've said in this thread so far. Does that necessarily mean you're wrong? Nope. But you can't just keep telling people who question you to 'look at my sources, they prove I'm right', when those sources only support half your argument.

InvalidError

Titan

Exactly. A list of most popular games and a list of what percentage of people game on how many cores does not establish any sort of correlation between the games being played, CPU performance and those people's appreciation of those games with whatever hardware they are running them on.

Just because I couldn't afford a Voodoo card back when I was in high school didn't mean that I enjoyed playing games at 20-30fps nor that I stuck strictly to Warcraft and other "hardware-appropriate" games of that time.

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016

Speaking of value of what has been said, everything you have said is based off of a very large assumption on a huge group of people that none of us can either prove or disprove. Your entire argument is based on the idea that people on budget systems can not decect, or dont mind stuttering or poor frame times. Maybe they don't, maybe they do, we can not say. My system is sort of budget, and all I play is minecraft, but I can see when my frames go to the forties, and I do mind, but I am only one person

Status
Not open for further replies.