AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

yankeeDDL

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Wow.
I don't remember when it was last time when we saw a review where, practically, in every chart AMD was at the top, and Intel at the bottom. It is refreshing really. Hopefully this will drive Intel to cleanup the mess it created in 5+ years of unchallenged leadership, and get its acts in order.

I'm enjoying the moment though. With my Ryzen 5 1600 :)

blackmagnum

Honorable
May 14, 2012
This is the product segment my slim wallet has been waiting for. I just hope that Intel will fight back with a price war. Now bring in the Ryzen+IGP for office gaming!

SS_1__

Prominent
Jul 27, 2017
The only mainstream chips Intel makes worth buying are the G4560 and 7700k, AMD has the rest of the product stack.

bloodroses

Distinguished
While I wasn't impressed with the Ryzen 5, their 7 and 3 are really putting the hurt on Intel. Good job AMD for getting back into the race. :) Let's hope they can do the same against Nvidia so true competition will finally be back.

InvalidError

Titan

There isn't a whole lot that Intel can do about it other than drop prices for a given amount of cores and threads, though you can expect Intel to hold on to premium pricing for its IPC, clock frequency and lower power advantages.

What I'm really curious to see for the mainstream/office segment is the Ryzen-Vega APUs.

Amd are just absolutely smashing it this year.
Which is a great great thing after Intel's dominance & stranglehold for the last 6 years.

Intel price war ??
No that's not going to happen if it hasn't already ,they're way too arrogant to ever do that.

One of the best CPU of the year with the 1600x. I still take my 1700x over them, but if you are under budget, there is no questions.

Too bad their Vega card seems like another Fury. I sold my stock and wait for the first benches before rebuying it. Also, indication is that RX will cost 600-650$ and barely beating a 1080 GTX. However Vega core are going to be incridilbe with AMD APU on the laptop segment. Nvidia MXM cards are going to be a bad investment and cost a fortune while everything will be on the same chip for AMD.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
If AMD wants to grab business/oem market, they should come out with a very low end graphics card, something that costs 40$(preferably 20$) or less, that they could bundle with these Ryzen 3s and sell as a one stop solution. So long as it performed similarly to intels IGPs, and the price was competitive, their performance advantage would give them a shot at stealing sales. For them to really get market share, which is where these Ryzen 3s sit, they need to be able to offer something to more than just gamers on a budget.

neblogai

Distinguished

That is just Paul's assumption. It could very well be (and is probably more likely) that those cores do not receive power- the opposite, in light testing unlocked but unused cores could be switched off very very effectively, to the point end result is the same- unused or locked off.

g-unit1111

Titan
Man I was just going to slap a 4930K in my work PC and be done with it, but considering I could get a Ryzen 3 1300X and a B350 motherboard for less than $250, it suddenly makes things much more interesting! AMD definitely hit a home run with the 1300X!

InvalidError

Titan

Why is nobody manufacturing new GPUs under ~$80? Because even the cheapest modern GPU you can build still costs ~$50 to make and by the time you add the chip manufacturers' margins, their distributors' margins, the board manufacturers' margins, the board distributors' margins and the stores' margins, you're at the $80+ mark for the cheapest GPU that still wouldn't make any sense next to modern IGPs.

Businesses who want the cheapest graphics money can buy will buy APUs and Raven Ridge should be out by the end of the year to cover that market segment. Until then, companies can get things like GT730s to put in their Ryzen-pased office PCs if they can't wait for APUs.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

Indeed, and that is why AMD will have a hard time getting serious penetration of the business/oem market. What Granny, who wants a cheap system to search the web and look at pictures of her grandkids, is going to need/want a more convoluted/complex solution that AMD offers?
Without the computing power of Ryzen in an APU, AMD still can't compete in that very large market segment. Those APUs that were announced today don't have the punch of Zen.

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
It seems AMD has taken over.
Just a note, I use computers mostly for CAD and CAM, not gaming. I run the whole CAD/CAM thing for my highschool robotics team. I have some saplings (called so because they call me tree due to my height) who have come to me wishing to learn programs like Solidworks and Inventor, but I have to turn don their requests for the software at home due to their insuffecient computers (I'm talking like acer laptops with two cores and IntelHD here).
In the future, I would apriciate including the CAD/CAM software testing in your reviews of the lower end hardware like these new Ryzens so I can show them some cheap(ish) ways to get Solidworks and Inventor up and running at home so they can really learn how to use it.
Regardless, this was a great and refreshing review.

InvalidError

Titan

Those APUs were released to system integrators around a year ago, the only change with the announcement is that they are becoming available at retail now that most older APU stock has been phased out. While bulldozer-v2 isn't as good as Ryzen, it should still be more than good enough for most office and grandma uses.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador

Or they can go ahead with the Bristol Ridge APUs -- Piledriver CPU cores & R7 graphics, but use the same Socket AM4 motherboards & support DDR4 RAM -- until Raven Ridge comes out.

takeshi7

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
I wish you'd make your Gaming Price/Performance chart start at 0 on both axes. It makes the CPUs more clumped up, but it also makes it easier to visualize price performance just from the slope of the line to the origin. Tech Report does this and I like it better.

As said the raven ridge are the zen core apu's.
I'd expect the same CPU grunt as the ryzen 3 with the inclusion of an igp with similar performance to the RX 550.

I see a pricepoint issue with those though personally , they're going to cost more than the r3 chips without a doubt.

For a budget gamer they'll be a good buy , for your average Granny (your words) who just wants the internet & a bit of word processing the Pentium is still going to be untouchable on price.
Intel killed their own i3 range releasing that CPU for that rrp - with no help from amd whatsoever !

bloodroses

Distinguished

I agree, especially since up this point I've been recommending the Pentium G4560 over the i3.

hannibal

Distinguished
Nice!

Very interesting to see those Ryzen based APUs later. Am I remembering righ that those will include one cpu cluster and gpu. So the best models have gpu four real cores and four hyper threats. So the size is quite same with Ryzens with two CPU clusters. The price point can be sensible. The top model will be more expensive than Ryzen 3, but cut down versions can be even cheaper.

pico_ohms

Prominent
Jul 27, 2017
I came here to read the Ryzen review. Every page plays the same unrelated autoplay video for some product I'm not remotely interested in. Who do you think wants this spam? This site used to be awesome, but in the past 12months it's been on a downwards trend (ads, ads, ads, video, video, video). Annoying stuff on a mobile data plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.