Discussion AMD Ryzen 3 2200G working on Windows 7

May 6, 2019
I was, sort of, modifying driver of Windows 7-64Bit Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.7.1 July 19 trying to add the missing Windows 7 driver support for AMD Ryzen 3 2200G processor with Radeon Vega Graphics. I mostly eliminated BSODs (blue screens of death) and driver looks promising. There is a problem while trying to play video files via media player. It seems to crash the windows - screen goes black for few seconds with "no signal" message on monitor then restarts itself without any error message. It doesn't dump memory at all so no information about what caused the crash but I do believe that has to do with graphics hardware encoder/decoder set improperly and video playback hardware acceleration - DirectX video acceleration DXVA and DXVA 2.0. Temporal work around is to use VLC media player go to: Tools--> Preferences ---> Input/codecs --> then on Hardware-accelerated select option Direct3D11 Video Acceleration. When set to DirectX 11, the video should play fine, no problems. I also tested few games: Need for Speed Most Wanted 2005, Need for Speed 3 from 1998, Red Alert 2, Evoland 2 and they worked well. Haven't tested any games using DirectX 11 but they should work fine, too.

I was wondering if some of you who actually own Ryzen 3 2200G processor would like to give a try to test video driver functionality and report what works and what's not (assuming you know how to install windows 7 on modern Ryzen processors). MSI Tools, Gigabyte Windows Creation Tool or similar software may help you go through Windows 7 installation process.

Link to youtube video and driver is here:
View: https://youtu.be/dBCSV_-Xcgg

Let me know in comment section what you think. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

ASK THE COMMUNITY