[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 3 3200G = okay for non-gaming purposes ?

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
hi,

due to severe budget constraints.....i can only get the AMD Ryzen 3 3200G processor......

since i don't play any games at all......is this CPU okay for watching movies, browsing internet and similar tasks ?

many thanks

hi,

due to severe budget constraints.....i can only get the AMD Ryzen 3 3200G processor......

since i don't play any games at all......is this CPU okay for watching movies, browsing internet and similar tasks ?

many thanks
A secondary benefit is a 3200g can be easily upgraded to far more capable 5600G or 5700G in the proper motherboard once funds become available.

Do you have the motherboard yet? If not, there are a number of economical B450 motherboards that would work well for all the above the APU's.

A secondary benefit is a 3200g can be easily upgraded to far more capable 5600G or 5700G in the proper motherboard once funds become available.

Do you have the motherboard yet? If not, there are a number of economical B450 motherboards that would work well for all the above the APU's.
Well from what i read he never intended to do Gaming on it, so 3200G would be enough with a cheap A320 motherboard.

Well from what i read he never intended to do Gaming on it, so 3200G would be enough with a cheap A320 motherboard.
Yes it will, but an A320 board may not work with 5000 series APU's and CPU's. It's also quite likely you can find a good enough B450 at about the same price as an A320.

It's inevitable that a 3200G's performance will become increasingly stressed as time goes on even for browsing and desktop productivity. Thinking ahead provides an easy drop-in upgrade for when that time comes.

Yes it will, but an A320 board may not work with 5000 series APU's and CPU's. It's also quite likely you can find a good enough B450 at about the same price as an A320.

It's inevitable that a 3200G's performance will become increasingly stressed as time goes on even for browsing and desktop productivity. Thinking ahead provides an easy drop-in upgrade for when that time comes.
Did he mention to upgrade the cpu? if so then he wouldnt go all cheap like 3200g, he only using it for basic purposes that even a i3 3240 or i5 3470 is more than enough, no gaming, just a plain basic tasks.

Also yea B450 is kinda cheap these days like a used b450m steel legend is ok enough :D but still depends on how much he want to spend. Unless he said wants to upgrade for purposes, then upgrading is out of context here. I do still have an i5 3470 pc with igpu only and windows 10 installed on SSD, and it could multitask Excel, Word, watching youtube, and netflix at once (well except youtube and netflix cause its weird to watch 2 show at once XD), so it always depends on the user if they want to Save bucks for just plain usage no upgrades, or think of more on upgrade path :D

Did he mention to upgrade the cpu? if so then he wouldnt go all cheap like 3200g, he only using it for basic purposes that even a i3 3240 or i5 3470 is more than enough, no gaming, just a plain basic tasks.

Also yea B450 is kinda cheap these days like a used b450m steel legend is ok enough :D but still depends on how much he want to spend. Unless he said wants to upgrade for purposes, then upgrading is out of context here.
Buying a motherboard is in context when getting into a new system.

Considering the future is always in context.

End of discussion.

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
Yes, it would be more than adequate for those tasks. Even would do some very light gaming.

many thanks indeed

Did he mention to upgrade the cpu? if so then he wouldnt go all cheap like 3200g, he only using it for basic purposes........... a used b450m steel legend is ok enough

how's the ASRock B450m Pro4 R2.0 compared to the B450m Steel Legend.........any idea which one is less likely to break down ?

the B450m Pro4 R2.0 has 2 additional VRMs so that will be better, right ?

i'm looking at the ASRock B450m Pro4 R2.0 or the B450m Steel Legend.........any idea which one is less likely to break down ?

It's inevitable that a 3200G's performance will become increasingly stressed as time goes on even for browsing and desktop productivity.

so a CPU's performance will slow down as it ages ?

i'm looking at the ASRock B450m Pro4 R2.0 or the B450m Steel Legend.........any idea which one is less likely to break down ?

so a CPU's performance will slow down as it ages ?
Either of those boards would be more than adequate for a 3200, very good even for much more powerful processors. I'd have to say they have equal potential for experiencing failures and about on par with other mfr's boards.

It's not that the CPU's performance degrades it's that the software we use gets more demanding of it. As hardware improves software naturally evolves to take advantage of new processing features and capabilities. The more obvious change recently is in the number of hardware threads and cores, with more software using more of the cores now available. Windows has evolved to better schedule processes on all available cores to improve multi-tasking performance when running more than one application concurrently. Even web browsers make better use of available cores and threads, something that's especially apparent to me with multiple tabs open in Firefox.

Last edited:

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
Either of those boards would be more than adequate for a 3200, very good even for much more powerful processors. I'd have to say they have equal potential for experiencing failures and about on par with other mfr's boards.

It's not that the CPU's performance degrades it's that the software we use gets more demanding of it. As hardware improves software naturally evolves to take advantage of new processing features and capabilities. The more obvious change recently is in the number of hardware threads and cores, with more software using more of the cores now available. Windows has evolved to better schedule processes on all available cores to improve multi-tasking performance when running more than one application concurrently. Even web browsers make better use of available cores and threads, something that's especially apparent to me with multiple tabs open in Firefox.

many thanks for the good info.......and for your time + effort indeed.......

my previous pc was an ancient Acer.......with a single-core processor at 1.7Ghz........:ROFLMAO:.....and with just 3GB RAM:LOL:...........

many thanks for the good info.......and for your time + effort indeed.......

my previous pc was an ancient Acer.......with a single-core processor at 1.7Ghz........:ROFLMAO:.....and with just 3GB RAM:LOL:...........
If you were (trying) to use a modern OS like Windows10 this will be very noticeable uplift for you.

You will probably also need memory: 8Gb might be sufficient since you're not demanding about what you do but 16Gb could also be helpful considering the iGPU will use a big piece of that memory.

Last edited:

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
What is the budget, for CPU, motherboard, and ram?

i'm from Southeast Asia so pricing is better here perhaps........

If you were (trying) to use a modern OS like Windows10 this will be very noticeable uplift for you.

You will probably also need memory: 8Gb might be sufficient since you're not demanding about what you do but 16Gb could also be helpful considering the iGPU will use a big piece of that memory.

i'll make do with 8GB RAM first.......plan to buy another 8GB when prices drop (mainly becoz i'm afraid the first stick of RAM might fail so second stick as backup).......